Newcastle United Women

toontownman

Subs were a bit too needlessly aggressive for me, KB and Elson are both great but too attack-minded to comfortably see a game out imo. 

Edited by OpenC

15 minutes ago, OpenC said:

Subs were a bit too needlessly aggressive for me, KB and Elson are both great but too attack-minded to comfortably see a game out imo. 

McQuade should have been brought on as we were being overrun in midfield at that point. Doesn't matter that they hadn't been on long, one of them should have been taken off again. By bringing another defender on we were totally exposed in midfield. Really we should be top with 16 points. I'm dead against chopping and changing the team every week also .

Edited by et tu brute

4 minutes ago, Sifu said:

Felt like a loss that, in control but then lost it all, losing Stobbs to a red card was a factor.

Yeah it changed the game, she is the captain and kicked the ball away according to the commentators (I was making a cuppa) and that is absolutely brainless, if correct, when on a booking and also being captain 

Edited by et tu brute

2 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Yeah it changed the game, she is the captain and kicked the ball away according to the commentators (I was making a cuppa) and that is absolutely brainless if correct when on a booking and also being captain 

I didn't see what happened as it was on the other side of the pitch from where I was but getting a second yellow for something like that is stupidity.

1 minute ago, Sifu said:

I didn't see what happened as it was on the other side of the pitch from where I was but getting a second yellow for something like that is stupidity.

Especially since everyone knows that rule, she was on a booking and is the captain 

Stobbs plays with heart, tenacity and most importantly wisdom and experience, she's definitely been one of our most important players so far this season. She'll be disappointed with herself and goes to show that everyone is only human.

A week long break now and will be plenty to review in that time.

Aye I can't criticise her too much, she's a really important player 

Depends on the manner of the ball being kicked away but it's one of the most inconsistently viewed and punished Definitely A Yellow offences in football tbf. If she booted it away then fair enough. If it was one of those cheeky little traps or soft backheels that usually go unpunished (and did earlier in this game) then hmmmm

Edited by OpenC

The sending off really changed it. In Amber's defence there was maybe 1/2 a second between the whistle and the kick, but this ref was a law unto herself. Charlton were the best team we've played but we had them until injury time. If games in hand are all won, by all teams, we are still only 2 points from the top so still happy with the season to date. Not holding it against Amber for the draw as she's led superbly this season until today. Onwards and upwards.

24 minutes ago, Iwantcurlyhair2 said:

The sending off really changed it. In Amber's defence there was maybe 1/2 a second between the whistle and the kick, but this ref was a law unto herself. Charlton were the best team we've played but we had them until injury time. If games in hand are all won, by all teams, we are still only 2 points from the top so still happy with the season to date. Not holding it against Amber for the draw as she's led superbly this season until today. Onwards and upwards.

I would agree with that, they were definitely the best team we've played. Even at 3-1 it was never entirely comfortable, but we were very naive in the way we played after the red.

Would have taken a point before the game, but definitely feels like we're looking at an upper mid table finish this season, which isn't necessarily a bad thing!

21 minutes ago, iklgizmo said:

I would agree with that, they were definitely the best team we've played. Even at 3-1 it was never entirely comfortable, but we were very naive in the way we played after the red.

Would have taken a point before the game, but definitely feels like we're looking at an upper mid table finish this season, which isn't necessarily a bad thing!

We have shown more than enough to say we can actually win this league, we have been the better team in all the games this season; and really should be already top of the pile. Keep there or there about come January and then bring in some more quality to finish the job

Edited by et tu brute

Yeah, it's not looking like a processional formality for any one team and we've showed we can compete at the top end home and away, so all to play for. 

Edited by OpenC

Just now, OpenC said:

Yeah, it's not looking like a processional formality for any one team and we've showed we can compete at the top end home and away, so all to play for. 

That was my concern at the start of the season, but there seems to be a number of teams that could win it. I also think from what I've seen so far we are the most capable side, we just need to cut of the silly mistakes, but we are still learning and will improve as the season goes on.

Aye. Said it last week too but they're still playing a lot of passes to feet that they would have got away with in the national league but which are being read and intercepted at this level; we're surrendering possession this way too much.

Charlton's press today was relentless, I don't think they've ever faced anything quite like that in a league game. They stayed composed and even though there were only three at the back and Hannah Greenwood is more naturally (I feel anyway) a midfielder they largely dealt with it. They just needed to be more professional in killing the game off but even when we were down to 10 and wobbling seriously we still had people bombing up front in numbers but inevitably losing the ball.

Honestly it's good to see them tested and great to see them largely passing the tests. Last season was a complete procession for them and it's good to see something more competitive.

Edited by OpenC

Going back to a previous comment, it seems as if we have two 'plans':

Play it out from (and around) the back. The trouble with this is we choose to play it into players who are being pressed who, either loose it or pass it under pressure to someone else who looses it.

When this fails, lump it out from the back, which, almost always, end up causing more pressure.

The opposition seem to play it to a person who is not marked, leading to retained possession. Clearly something to work at. I guess it's because 'wing play' has been a traditional strength of the team but our wingers / side players get much less time in this division. Not that surprising we are discovering we'll need to work at game play now we are going up divisions, especially given the huge changes in players.

Edit: I see OpenC has just made a similar point.

Edited by Cclay

They lost the game against Durham late, and then dropped the points against today late on.

It seems that they may have a problem seeing games out, probably due to 2/3 years of pretty much wrapping up games long before the end of the match.

That Durham game was just frustrating. They had all the chances to win it, they should have had the game finished by half time, but they just seemed to be determined to lose the game. Constantly messing up chances, then just giving them the ball late on.

They shouldn’t be in any trouble this season, but there are clubs who just get the job done in this league, so I can’t see them going up. Maybe if there were 2 clubs going up, they could sneak in there. It seems it will be a season of consolidation.

Edited by Stifler

I think how the second half of the season goes will depend a lot on if an announcement is made regarding increasing the WSL.

If they said the following season there were going to be no relegations from the WSL and 2 teams promoted, then the team going up this year would have basically a free hit season to get themselves established  with no fear of relegation.

If no such announcement is made, quite a few of the teams near the top of the championship (charlton, Birmingham, durham) know there is no way they have the finances to go up and compete, so they could potentially drop off!

38 minutes ago, OpenC said:

They have to make the leagues bigger like, 12 teams is just not enough of a season.

It makes it so boring! 1 or 2 defeats and you're out of the title race! 

At least the bottom looks like it could be a couple of teams fighting it out this year, as a few of them are awful rather than just 1 team!