UEFA Women's Euro 2022: England are European Champions

Disco

Joking aside. Regardless of the standard, as in comparisons with men's level, the woman have come on a long way. 

Technically, very good imho. One of the things I've noted is how the national teams seem to play the same way as their make counterparts. Probs all coach from the same ethos. 

Anyways, even 5 years ago I wouldn't have thought I'd be watching it never mind chatting shit about it, on its own thread, on an NUFC forum. 

Fair play 😉

Just now, WillingtonMag said:

Don't be ridiculous 🙄 is it sexist now to state facts like as already pointed out many sports have different rules in men and women's games to great success like Tennis.

Put ya teeth back in you daft cunt. I was joshing. 😂

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, Groundhog63 said:

Joking aside. Regardless of the standard, as in comparisons with men's level, the woman have come on a long way. 

Technically, very good imho. One of the things I've noted is how the national teams seem to play the same way as their make counterparts. Probs all coach from the same ethos. 

Anyways, even 5 years ago I wouldn't have thought I'd be watching it never mind chatting shit about it, on its own thread, on an NUFC forum. 

Fair play 😉

I was never interested in it and to be fair, I don’t watch it much, but I don’t watch or didn’t watch much footy at all due to Ashley etc., but during lockdown we sponsored Gateshead’s ladies team, we got free access to streams and I really enjoyed the women’s game and this tournament has been fantastic, and I’ve also watched a good number of games at kid’s level and again, they would run rings around boy’s teams and I’ve seen it first hand to know that. That said, and again, debates over goal size and pitch size is all healthy, in fact any debate about making improvements to a developing part of our game is all good. I’d like, say for example, a mixed olympics side to represent GB one day, they have mixed tennis matches for example. 

6 minutes ago, HTT II said:

I was never interested in it and to be fair, I don’t watch it much, but I don’t watch or didn’t watch much footy at all due to Ashley etc., but during lockdown we sponsored Gateshead’s ladies team, we got free access to streams and I really enjoyed the women’s game and this tournament has been fantastic, and I’ve also watched a good number of games at kid’s level and again, they would run rings around boy’s teams and I’ve seen it first hand to know that. That said, and again, debates over goal size and pitch size is all healthy, in fact any debate about making improvements to a developing part of our game is all good. I’d like, say for example, a mixed olympics side to represent GB one day, they have mixed tennis matches for example. 

Tennis is a non contact sport though, don't think mixed would work in football and the difference between the men and women would just be so massively noticeable it wouldn't be good to watch.

Guest HTT II
2 minutes ago, WillingtonMag said:

Tennis is a non contact sport though, don't think mixed would work in football and the difference between the men and women would just be so massively noticeable it wouldn't be good to watch.

I think it would be just a normal standard type game to be honest, physical differences exist in the mens game massively at times too…

Guest HTT II
31 minutes ago, Ste said:

Regarding the goal sizes, it’s definitely a debate that should be had amongst the female players rather than the male spectators. 

Eh, why not? Men are the biggest spectators/fans of women’s football. It’s an all inclusive sport, and everyone has a say or should have. 

1 hour ago, Ste said:

Regarding the goal sizes, it’s definitely a debate that should be had amongst the female players rather than the male spectators. 

Anyone can debate this but the decision is up to the people who run womens footy

I'm happy to let them do what they like, so long as I'm not continually asked/demanded to care about it.

The closest I've come to being interested in women's football (apart from going out of my way to watch goalkeeping highlights for fun) is when Namibia(?) were cheating and trying to kick lumps out of the England girls, I'm guessing about 4 years ago? They'd do well to take the hint that a lot of football supporters follow for the passion, and not continually try to dry everything out and make out it's just a wonderful, polite athletics contest. The smartest thing that could do is synthesize more controversy like that. We'll know women's football has broken through when we see a fight break out on the terraces, to be honest.

50 minutes ago, 80 said:

I'm happy to let them do what they like, so long as I'm not continually asked/demanded to care about it.

The closest I've come to being interested in women's football (apart from going out of my way to watch goalkeeping highlights for fun) is when Namibia(?) were cheating and trying to kick lumps out of the England girls, I'm guessing about 4 years ago? They'd do well to take the hint that a lot of football supporters follow for the passion, and not continually try to dry everything out and make out it's just a wonderful, polite athletics contest. The smartest thing that could do is synthesize more controversy like that. We'll know women's football has broken through when we see a fight break out on the terraces, to be honest.

What complete drivel. "I'm happy to let them do what they like" - oh jeez, thanks. If you don't care, why are you even commenting on this topic?

It's just the same issue that's always been there. Patriarchy treats women as the lesser sex and therefore, men like you feel like they're entitled to comment. I've been a watcher of this forum for many years and yours is the first comment to make me resign in and fight back. 

I bet you didn't know that women were banned from playing football by the FA for 50 years from 1921. It's come on leaps and bounds, despite this. It was more popular back then than the mens game. And you thinking that violence means that "the game has broken out" is just laughable. 

I enjoy both games, they bring a lot of joy into my life for many different reasons and no one asks you to comment. People should just enjoy it like most on here do. 

Guest HTT II
1 hour ago, 80 said:

We'll know women's football has broken through when we see a fight break out on the terraces, to be honest.

Eh? What a weird take…

Its already broken through, Barca had over 80k fans for a women’s game. We had over 30k and we are barely professional at this level. It’s about sustaining woman’s football and keeping it growing which I think will happen. 

Hook, line and sinker, language wars are always fun :) I don't like the way the argument keeps shifting, that's why I was commenting. Sometimes it's the liberal 'live and let live', other times it's 'you must be supportive and egalitarian in how you spend your time'. I joined in the topic as I noticed guys trying (successfully or not) to make constructive comments about improving the game and being told to butt out huffily. Which again, I'd say is fine, so long as they're not inevitably accused of entrenching the patriarchy through their lack of engagement with the sport. So apparently the only way patriarchy isn't enforced is if you lie and say you think everything is wonderful.

FYI, I did know women were stopped from using association grounds after the first world war. Nell of the North and all that. It doesn't change the fact that a lot of the treatment women's football is currently receiving is, ironically, highly patronising. I genuinely feel bad for some of the highly talented female footballers I've seen who are being let down by structural elements of the game e.g. in my view, the goal sizes. If there's not enough difficulty in scoring, they won't get the respect they could otherwise be earning.

Edited by 80

18 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Eh? What a weird take…

Its already broken through, Barca had over 80k fans for a women’s game. We had over 30k and we are barely professional at this level. It’s about sustaining woman’s football and keeping it growing which I think will happen. 

It was light hearted... But my point is there's a distinct sense around at the moment that people are feigning interest in order to 'do the right thing'. As opposed to being truly enthralled and moved by it.

Re: NUFC, I'm actually pretty happy with what NUFC are doing with the women's team at the moment. That feels much more organic to me. Supporting them and letting interest come to them fairly naturally rather than making up marketing material about how amazing it all is.

Like I say, I haven't taken much interest in women's football, but I found the treatment of Sunderland and (as I understand it) Doncaster Belles because they weren't fashionable totally appalling. Completely undermines the idea the boom in women's football coverage is about ordinary women and sport.

7 hours ago, WillingtonMag said:

Women aren't physically equal to men though no matter how much you want to pretend otherwise. Be absolutely nothing wrong with having the goals and pitches a bit smaller.

No one is saying females are physically equal to men generally.  I'd wager the females in the England women's team are more physically able than you, though. Its all relative innit.

Whats being said is the size of the pitches and goals arent an impossible task for females to play football on, which is why they currently play football on them perfectly well and will only improve as more and more females and young girls play. There's zero need to change anything. Only some men sitting at home saying they should. I'd wager the females playing the game would say no, so that would be the matter closed. 

Edited by Super Duper Branko Strupar

6 hours ago, HTT II said:

Eh, why not? Men are the biggest spectators/fans of women’s football. It’s an all inclusive sport, and everyone has a say or should have. 

Absolutely and it’s poorly worded on my behalf as I’m making it sound like we shouldn’t have a discussion surrounding it. What I mean is, it doesn’t seem to be an issue at all for those women playing. Women on average have smaller hands and feet, do we make the ball smaller or lighter for them? 

Agree with what has been said about it probably being worth having more shots from distance but, like the side of the sport as a whole, its coming on leaps and bounds so goalkeepers will improve in time. 

The smaller goals thing is stupid, just look at the scorelines, they look like regular fucking football games. It's not 21-13 out there.

England's 8-0 over Norway stands out, but that happens in the men's game occasionally too and has more to do with a Norwegian meltdown and England having a razor-sharp attack this year than anything else.

Trying to solve a problem that isn't there tbh.

Also, weaker wrists? For real? Jesus fucking christ. I mean, setting aside how ridiculous that is as a statement, even if you take it at face value it's not like their weak womanly wrists are out there being shattered by powerful righteous men's shooting. It's women's legs kicking the ball at women's intuitive sensitive wrists, so what in the flying fuck are you on about with that one?

It's not a zero sum game guys, women's football rising in popularity doesn't mean men's will dissipate, so relax.

One of the fastest growing sports in the world, think they’re doing alright as they are tbh. The quality from my part watching has risen loads over the last few years thanks to professionalism and will keep doing so for a while yet. 

It’s great to see and even better to see them getting so many young lasses interested in the game and more importantly out playing the game or sport in general. 

Personally I think some of the coverage is overly sycophantic at times (of the sport and the standard of the WSL) as they’re trying to sell the game rather than taking it at its merits which isn’t needed IMO but then I’m not the one involved with it so what do I know. 

1 hour ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

No one is saying females are physically equal to men generally.  I'd wager the females in the England women's team are more physically able than you, though. Its all relative innit.

Whats being said is the size of the pitches and goals arent an impossible task for females to play football on, which is why they currently play football on them perfectly well and will only improve as more and more females and young girls play. There's zero need to change anything. Only some men sitting at home saying they should. I'd wager the females playing the game would say no, so that would be the matter closed. 

And you'd be wrong here's a team of Swedish children playing with 10 men from the start of the game beating the women's international team.

https://www.thelocal.se/20130116/45646/

21 minutes ago, WillingtonMag said:

And you'd be wrong here's a team of Swedish children playing with 10 men from the start of the game beating the women's international team.

https://www.thelocal.se/20130116/45646/

:lol: Id be wrong with what?

I dont understand why you have so much of an issue with it like, it doesnt affect you one jot. It all just sounds quite uncomfortably misogynistic to me like.