UEFA Women's Euro 2022: England are European Champions

Disco

5 hours ago, madras said:

Right been thinking this all week and now that I've had 2 cans and most of a bottle of wine I'll ask..... would the female game be a better spectacle if they played on a proprtionate pitch ?

It felt that way last night a little. Although the England keeper made some top drawer saves, with one right underneath the bar. 

4 hours ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

No. Why would you choose to make the goals smaller and then harder to hit the target? Why would you make the pitch smaller and take away the option of longer passes etc? Its a difficult subject to broach, but for example the goalkeeping quality in female football can be seen as lesser quality than outfield players in some scnearios, but the answer is greater participation not "making it easier for those poor less able women". Its a young sport, participation percentage is lower relatively and females are generally shorter. Shorter keepers in the male game can be an issue, so it will be in the females too. The more that play the greater the talent and physical pool and the less of a "problem" (if it even is one, its just different) there is with relative ability. Dumbing it down isnt the answer, encouraging more participation as is because its not as if females arent capable, is.

I don't think it's anything to do with 'dumbing it down' to be honest. It's working with people's relevant size. Just seems a tad over-defensive putting it the way you have tbh.

Swedish keeper was 5'10. Ours and their one on the bench were 5'7 :lol:

Wrist strengh will probably be a factor too.

Tbh it probably makes things more entertaining, but literally everytime women's footy is on you hear about the keeping.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

1 minute ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Swedish keeper was 5'10. Think the one on the bench was 5'7 :lol:

Wrist strengh will probably be a factor too.

Tbh it probably makes things more entertaining, but literally everytime women's footy is on you hear about the keeping.

TBH I was of the view the goalkeeping saved the blushes of some very poor defending up until the first goal. After that England tightened up and screwed their loaves.

Watched most of their games, now I'm back in love with football, and I'm happy with the standard. 

Had a text last night from a pal sagging it off as "Non-league". Again, due to my renaissance, I've watched a canny bit EFL and the lasses are as good as L2, maybees L1. 

Tbf it's a mute comparison because they can only play as good or as bad as the standard as it us now across the platform. 

None of the games I've seen so far could be called hoof ball. 

Some, a lot, of tidy play. 

The keepers have always been a problem. I've just googled Hope Solo thinking she'd was tall but even she was only 5' 9". Talker than me like but so is the female Krankie. 

I don't know why the Woman's FA haven't scoured the country for freakishly tall lasses like thier Olympic counterparts. Think rowing etc etc

Anyways, enjoyed it on the telly with the wife whilst watching the Toon on my phone. 

Mind, as per, outed myself as a knacker when she commented on "a good attendance of 28k" & I sneared at her, "what are you on about, it holds nearly 100k man, there's way more than that" 

"Sheffield man, you tit" 

Edited by Groundhog63

16 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

Watched most of their games, now I'm back in love with football, and I'm happy with the standard. 

Had a text last night from a pal sagging it off as "Non-league". Again, due to my renaissance, I've watched a canny bit EFL and the lasses are as good as L2, maybees L1. 

Tbf it's a mute comparison because they can only play as good or as bad as the standard as it us now across the platform. 

None of the games I've seen so far could be called hoof ball. 

Some, a lot, of tidy play. 

The keepers have always been a problem. I've just googled Hope Solo thinking she'd was tall but even she was only 5' 9". Talker than me like but so is the female Krankie. 

I don't know why the Woman's FA haven't scoured the country for freakishly tall lasses like thier Olympic counterparts. Think rowing etc etc

Anyways, enjoyed it on the telly with the wife whilst watching the Toon on my phone. 

Mind, as per, outed myself as a knacker when she commented on "a good attendance of 28k" & I sneared at her, "what are you on about, it holds nearly 100k man, there's way more than that" 

"Sheffield man, you tit" 

The women aren't as good as league one or two mens teams don't talk shite, mens Sunday league teams would beat the women's England team. Just enjoy it for what it is if you enjoy it great but coming out with shite like that probably does the women's game more harm than good.

Edited by WillingtonMag

Guest HTT II

There is nothing wrong with having a serious debate about the size of goals and pitches, my boy’s club, they have goals that can be extended up or down or length ways as they get older and pitches can easily be re-marked out. The standard of women’s football has Improved so much and I’m hoping with our takeover and the England women’s team doing so well it will bring in a huge cash injection into their game which is badly needed. I’ve seen girls at under 8 who would run rings around boys the same age, it’s about coaching, facilities and them getting the same level of physical training and diet as their male counterparts. Technique and ability wise, there is no reason why a female footballer can’t be as good as a male footballer or if not better. Physically yes, as men are going to be stronger, but the beauty about football or should be, is technique, skills, flair and ability trumps any physical trait. Well done England lasses, hopefully they can bring it home…

They're not L1 standard, but no need to exaggerate and say they'd be beaten by Sunday league teams - they really wouldn't. Fitness alone would see to that, however they've got way better control than your average Sunday league player ffs.

Guest HTT II
20 minutes ago, WillingtonMag said:

The women aren't as good as league one or two mens teams don't talk shite, mens Sunday league teams would beat the women's England team. Just enjoy it for what it is if you enjoy it great but coming out with shite like that probably does the women's game more harm than good.

Gateshead lasses have played a few behind closed doors games against their under 18s male team I think a few times and more than held their own.

Edited by HTT II

10 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Gateshead lasses have played a few behind closed doors games against their under 18s male team I think a few times and more than held their own.

The Australian national team got beat off a under 16s boy side.

12 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

They're not L1 standard, but no need to exaggerate and say they'd be beaten by Sunday league teams - they really wouldn't. Fitness alone would see to that, however they've got way better control than your average Sunday league player ffs.

Some great Sunday league teams out there to be fair like, I think it would be a no contest. 

Guest HTT II
Just now, WillingtonMag said:

The Australian national team got beat off a under 16s boy side.

We once got beat off Leyton Orient 6-1… it’s a game that is still in development. Watch kids’ grassroots games between boys and girls and girls win most of the time. The men’s game has had over 150 years of development and tens of billions thrown at it. I’d reckon England’s women’s team would beat the mackems for example, mind that’s not a high bar!

Guest HTT II
2 minutes ago, WillingtonMag said:

Some great Sunday league teams out there to be fair like, I think it would be a no contest. 

Including women’s teams…

Guest HTT II

Regardless, it’s pointless trying to compare the two, and a bit daft as well. I’m just happy women’s football is taking off and they now have their own stage and platform and there is now opportunities for young girls to play the sport at a decent standard and hopefully make a decent career from the game as well. If I had a daughter and she wanted to play, I know she would get the same level of facilities, coaching and such as my 8 year old boy currently does. In fact I’d encourage any willing lass who plays to go all in as the opportunity to make it is much higher. 

50 minutes ago, WillingtonMag said:

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Fwiw I was comparing the actual technical side of the play. Hence why I mentioned hoofball. They, the national teams, definitely play a more advanced type of game than most of the EFL games I've seen. 

Some bloke's on here must still hanker for the good old CIU Sundays. Post, Alphabet League, match beer up with a bowl of pickled onions, a bowl of cheese cubes and another with black pudding. Bottles of LCL and not a lass in sight. Sat in the same seats week in week out. 

😜

Guest HTT II
5 minutes ago, WillingtonMag said:

Only silly comment in here it you claiming they were at league one standard, daft arse.

From our game against Spain, they are far superior technically than any League One side, their movement, passing, pace, flair and tactical acumen alone would see them more than compete.

It’s very difficult to compare - some of the women’s game footballers have top-notch technique, but the physical aspects of the game shouldn’t be understated - the average male professional would simply overpower their top-rank female counterparts.  I suspect this might explain HTT’s point re women beating boys teams - nowt wrong with the lasses’ technical ability. 

I still enjoy watching women’s football - there’s some cracking end to end play, and the technique is clearly a long way above Sunday league level.

And yes, the goalkeepers aren’t the best - though I’d ask anyone to watch a random weekend’s worth of Division 4 (League 2 or whatever) goals and see how many of them are down to utterly shite goalkeeping 

Edited by TheBrownBottle

Guest HTT II
6 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

It’s very difficult to compare - some of the women’s game footballers have top-notch technique, but the physical aspects of the game shouldn’t be understated - the average male professional would simply overpower their top-rank female counterparts.  I suspect this might explain HTT’s point re women beating boys teams - nowt wrong with the lasses’ technical ability. 

I still enjoy watching women’s football - there’s some cracking end to end play, and the technique is clearly a long way above Sunday league level.

And yes, the goalkeepers aren’t the best - though I’d ask anyone to watch a random weekend’s worth of Division 4 (League 2 or whatever) goals and see how many of them are down to utterly shite goalkeeping 

Goalkeeping at every level of kids’ football has declined, because they all want to be players and the level of coaching saints the best. It’s not just a female thing, the stands isn’t the best regardless of sex. Any young ‘keeper today, girl or boy, keep hammering it as we need ‘keepers and there is a higher chance of making it in that position than any other. 

Perhaps over simplifying here but; right lads we’re up against a cracking lasses side but we are way bigger, stronger and their keeper is 5’8 or so. Go in hard but fair and shoot when you get within 25 yards….

Unless the lasses could stop the shots coming in I’d expect most men’s teams to score at least 3 or 4. This is on the basis that they have a decent level of fitness and can actually shoot properly.

Enjoyed last night btw.