1881 or 1892 ?

TomYam

Guest HTT II

Our first kit as NUFC was dark blue and white, due to some ink problem dying the tops, just a random thing about our amazing history.

4 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Speaking of which. Tyneside Life gets a lot of love and he's good, but I think this guy gets much more into it, even if I do disagree with the 1881 founding year which is I think a bit disrespectful to Newcastle West End. 

West End went pop.  East End just occupied their old ground (not sure if Chilly Road also had an infamously sloping pitch mind!)

Just now, HTT II said:

Our first kit as NUFC was dark blue and white, due to some ink problem dying the tops, just a random thing about our amazing history.

Red top white shorts from memory - stripes came a short while later. 

we did though wear blue shorts for a long time …

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Red top white shorts from memory - stripes came a short while later. 

we did though wear blue shorts for a long time …

You could be right, my memory isn’t the best, I know our first ‘black’ and white tops were actually very dark blue and white, however.

10 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

It’s clearly 1881, though it isn’t anything to get hung about.  Off the top of my head, we are though the only club I can think of where a name change is seen as the birth of the club - Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal, Sheff Wed, Everton etc etc don’t. 

Did any of those clubs merge with another? Genuine question, I don't know. I know Sheff Wed was a split. 

NEE didn't just take over SJP, NWE staff were kept on, they became part of the newly founded club.

It would be daft to say we were founded in 1892 and that's the end of it, that there's no pre-history or whatever, but I'm happy to count it from 1892 because I think it's important to not write the west end out of our history either. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

Did any of those clubs merge with another? Genuine question, I don't know. I know Sheff Wed was a split. 

NEE didn't just take over SJP, NWE staff were kept on, they became part of the newly founded club.

It would be daft to say we were founded in 1892 and that's the end of it, that there's no pre-history or whatever, but I'm happy to count it from 1892 because I think it's important to not write the west end out of our history either. 

NEE and NWE didn’t merge though; WE had already been disbanded.  Some of the WE players and staff joined EE afterwards.  EE was renamed United after moving to SJP.  

7 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

NEE and NWE didn’t merge though; WE had already been disbanded.  Some of the WE players and staff joined EE afterwards.  EE was renamed United after moving to SJP.  

I get what you're saying, technically. But considering the bit in bold, you can see why (along with as a way to unify the city) it's classed as a unification? and why the founding year is officially 1892. Whether NWE disbanded or had been liquidated or not, a club (in this case NWE) and its ground exist as a part of the community first and foremost for me, so going with that line of thinking works for me. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

I get what you're saying, technically. But considering the bit in bold, you can see why (along with as a way to unify the city) it's classed as a unification? and why the founding year is officially 1892. Whether EE disbanded or had been liquidated or not, a club (in this case NWE) and its ground exist as a part of the community first and foremost for me, so going with that line of thinking works for me. 

Yeah, I know what you mean.  I don’t think it is a matter of dispute that NWE was gone months before NEE renamed itself NU, after it moved to SJP.  The renaming of the club is definitely a positive.  I’m glad that WE died, tbh - I can’t imagine what derby days would have been like in Newcastle.  My dad and I would’ve supported different clubs for a start - I’m from the WE, my fatha’s from Walker

Personally, I think 1881 is the correct date, but it really doesn’t worry me that we don’t use that date.  Besides, I wouldn’t want several thousand Geordies to change their PIN for the sake of historical accuracy :)

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Yeah, I know what you mean.  I don’t think it is a matter of dispute that NWE was gone months before NEE renamed itself NU, after it moved to SJP.  The renaming of the club is definitely a positive.  I’m glad that WE died, tbh - I can’t imagine what derby days would have been like in Newcastle.  My dad and I would’ve supported different clubs for a start - I’m from the WE, my fatha’s from Walker

Personally, I think 1881 is the correct date, but it really doesn’t worry me that we don’t use that date.  Besides, I wouldn’t want several thousand Geordies to change their PIN for the sake of historical accuracy :)

Aye, I agree us being a two club city would be rough like. Just imagining the Byker/Walker vs Benwell/Fenham fights in such a compact city doesn't bear thinking about. :lol:

If you look at other clubs’ ‘origins’, Manchester United, for example, wasn’t called that until 1902. They didn’t start playing at Old Trafford until 1910. They still claim that they were formed in 1878. Even though Newton Heath FC, originally formed by workers from the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway went bankrupt prior to the re-investment from local businesses in 1902, which led to the Man Utd we all know and love… . 

Key thing for me isn’t name or ground, or even temporary closure, but continuity in playing and coaching staff and the bric a brac associated with the club. We, Newcastle United, weren’t an extension of West End we were an amalgamation of two teams with their own histories. So, on this line of thinking, NUFC started in 1892. 

Edited by Coffee_Johnny