Financial Fair Play / Profit & Sustainability

Mattoon

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

You’re right, but it’s not just the ‘Sky Six’ and FFP.  It’s permanently imbalanced the entire pyramid.  Bournemouth and Palace now have incomes which absolutely dwarf Leeds and Sheff Wed and Sunderland - that didn’t used to happen.  The gulfs between every strata are ridiculous

Absolutely, and these teams are always looking over the shoulder to see who’s coming behind them, once you understand this you realise why they always vote for these rules. 

They know they aren’t competing with Manchester United, they are competing with teams who are actually bigger than them but in the championship, so if we rules which stop them from growing whilst we maintain both a financial and competitive advantage it would take a massive fuck up for us to lose our spot on the gravy train. 

If your Steve parish Palaces valuation going up YOY by remaining in the league is far more enticing then loosening rules and creating more competition for yourself. 

Capitalism devours all, why would football be an exception?

Just now, Shearergol said:

Depressing as fuck this lads. Didn’t need it this morning [emoji38]

Sorry, I think it’s real important us as fans understand what’s going on. I’m sure you’d rather get fucked knowingly rather than unknowingly and if we do nought the ones who are getting fucked as us fans, nobody else. 

Just now, r0cafella said:

Sorry, I think it’s real important us as fans understand what’s going on. I’m sure you’d rather get fucked knowingly rather than unknowingly and if we do nought the ones who are getting fucked as us fans, nobody else. 

I for one thank @r0cafella for the “knowledge lube” around FFP that limits the pain I’ll feel when the LFC, MUFC and AFC branded monster dildos come tearing out their megastores and fuck us over.

Just now, Nucasol said:

I for one thank @r0cafella for the “knowledge lube” around FFP that limits the pain I’ll feel when the LFC, MUFC and AFC branded monster dildos come tearing out their megastores and fuck us over.

Haha your welcome, not sure it’s knowledge more common sense mind. I know the predictions are bleak and I wish they weren’t. 

Thinking about it makes me want to just give up on football tbh, never imagined me either feeling that way, even during Ashley I still loved the game but what’s happening now is even more egregious, we had hope he’d fuck off and we’d be able to compete again, now that hope has been taken away. 

One Chelsea sub cost £80m on £200k per wages. Our combined five subs cost £15m on about £140k per week. The gap is massive and will continue to be. 

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

Haha your welcome, not sure it’s knowledge more common sense mind. I know the predictions are bleak and I wish they weren’t. 

Thinking about it makes me want to just give up on football tbh, never imagined me either feeling that way, even during Ashley I still loved the game but what’s happening now is even more egregious, we had hope he’d fuck off and we’d be able to compete again, now that hope has been taken away. 

I enjoy watching my 7 year old son play grassroots on a Saturday more than I enjoy watching the premier league. I’m fully aware that won’t last though, especially when he gets to around under 13’s where the parents are fighting the refs.

I ditched sky 2 years ago, this place is my only real football resource now.

it’s all shit. My entire world was about football growing up. Now it can get fucked.

Guest reefatoon
50 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

I guess if we voted for it then we must think it benefits us .

This is true.

We don’t even know what the rule changes are yet :lol: and people are saying it’s worse. Need much more information first before flying off the deep end with the doom posts.

No reason for these numbers not to be accurate given its public information.

In my mind for us, our best case scenario now is becoming an A Madrid who've been successful way beyond what can be imagined so I went to look up the numbers for them:

All figures in M;s and euros:

Financial year: 2021/22, revenue: 372.24

Financial year: 2020/21, revenue: 345.92

Financial year: 2019/20, revenue: 322.00

Financial year: 2018/19, revenue: 368.00

Financial year: 2017/18, revenue: 304.00

Financial year: 2016/17, revenue: 273.00

Financial year: 2015/16, revenue: 229.00

Financial year: 2014/15, revenue: 187.00

Financial year: 2013/14, revenue: 170.00

Financial year: 2012/13, revenue: 120.00

Financial year: 2011/12, revenue: 108.00

Financial year: 2010/11, revenue: 100.00

Financial year: 2009/10, revenue: 125.00

Financial year: 2008/09, revenue: 105.00

And this to be is worrying and really shows how fucked we are, we are already close to the revenue they have in a much more competitive league, as a good measuring stick, lets take a look at the massivly mismanaged club known as Bara:

2021/22: 638.00

2020/21: 582.00

2019/20: 713.00

2018/19: 841.00

2017/18: 690.00

2016/17: 648.00

2015/16: 620.00

2014/15: 561.00

2013/14: 485.00

2012/13: 483.00

2011/12: 483.00

2010/11: 451.00

2009/10: 398.00

2008/09: 366.00

2007/08: 309.00

2006/07: 290.00

2005/06: 259.00

So basically, the gap never closed despite barca being run by a bunch of clowns and A, Madrid being really succesfuly. Basically we might be able to to challenge but it wont be sustainable. 

3 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

This is true.

We don’t even know what the rule changes are yet :lol: and people are saying it’s worse. Need much more information first before flying off the deep end with the doom posts.

As long as the rules are tied to Revenue and our revenues are limited by related party rules we are scrweed. 

The framework which is known is already enough to know this. 

Guest reefatoon
15 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Depressing as fuck this lads. Didn’t need it this morning [emoji38]

Just wait and see what it all is officially first. There are a couple of people on here telling everyone how bad it is without any information yet. 

Is it more enjoyable to be a fan of Brighton, or Wolves, or Bournemouth? No expectations, just happy to finish as high up as possible and see some class players every now and again? 

Guest reefatoon
3 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

As long as the rules are tied to Revenue and our revenues are limited by related party rules we are scrweed. 

The framework which is known is already enough to know this. 

It’s still guesswork though. The related party rules could also be part of the change. At the moment nothing has been said so nobody knows. You would think if 19 teams voted for it, then there is going to be some benefits. Are votes ever that one sided?

Edited by reefatoon

2 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

It’s still guesswork though. The related party rules could also be part of the change. At the moment nothing has been said so nobody knows.

They’ve tightened these rules last week. Why would they be suddenly gone?

It doesn’t make sense. 

I understand people want to be optimistic and such but as long as the rules are tied to revenue which we are severely limited in how we can increase it we have little hope. 

Guest reefatoon
8 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

It doesn’t make sense. 

I understand people want to be optimistic and such but as long as the rules are tied to revenue which we are severely limited in how we can increase it we have little hope. 

Changing them could have been part of the bargaining process to allow the new rules to come into play. We don’t know what was discussed, changed or voted for yet.

I’m not trying to be optimistic, we don’t have a clue on what it all means yet, so just not getting all worked up over some people telling us all how bad it is until we have all the information to process.

Edited by reefatoon

Just now, reefatoon said:

Changing them could have been part of the bargaining process to allow the new rules to come into play. We don’t k ow what was discussed, changed and voted for yet.

I’m not trying to be optimistic, we don’t have a clue on what it all means yet, so just not getting all worked up over some people telling us all how bad it is.

As I’ve written about at length, the other shareholders don’t have any incentive to loosen the rules, our one vote doesn’t count for much. 

It'll be the sponsorships that close the gap, their new rules around FMV won't stand up in court, individual challenges on a case by case basis is what will bring this tumbling down.

3 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

It doesn’t make sense. 

Everyone saying 19 clubs voted for this…..the media usually name any dissenting voices to the new rules, nothing anywhere or when a meeting of the PL when said vote took place.

Unless the club are keeping their powder dry we’ll be what we are now, a mid table side, if people are happy with that then so be it but deep down I just have a feeling the club are working on something that allows us to compete, a new stadium would be a start.

Just now, FloydianMag said:

Everyone saying 19 clubs voted for this…..the media usually name any dissenting voices to the new rules, nothing anywhere or when a meeting of the PL when said vote took place.

Unless the club are keeping their powder dry we’ll be what we are now, a mid table side, if people are happy with that then so be it but deep down I just have a feeling the club are working on something that allows us to compete, a new stadium would be a start.

City abstained from what I read. They already have the highest revenue (lol) so these rules have no impact on them. 

Guest reefatoon
Just now, r0cafella said:

As I’ve written about at length, the other shareholders don’t have any incentive to loosen the rules, our one vote doesn’t count for much. 

But that isn’t exactly true, there are clubs that do, not just us. Villa, Wolves, Everton, Forest all have similar incentives and wealthy owners wanting to spend. 

Id be really interested in seeing who the one club was that voted against, think that would speak volumes on how this is going to go.

18 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

Just wait and see what it all is officially first. There are a couple of people on here telling everyone how bad it is without any information yet. 

We know what they are; they’ve been around for two years at this point.  The PL has effectively ratified UEFA’s FFP regs.  It doesn’t need any further explanation - how it works is established:

https://www.uefa.com/returntoplay/news/0274-14da0ce4535d-fa5b130ae9b6-1000--explainer-uefa-s-new-financial-sustainability-regulations/

1 minute ago, reefatoon said:

But that isn’t exactly true, there are clubs that do, not just us. Villa, Wolves, Everton, Forest all have similar incentives and wealthy owners wanting to spend. 

Id be really interested in seeing who the one club was that voted against, think that would speak volumes on how this is going to go.

Err, only Villa have ambitious owners as much as ours. Maybe forest. Everton are almost Bankrupt and Chinese invest in football is over. 

You need 14 clubs votes change the rules, and I have 4 clubs who may break the status quo. (Forest is a push imo, I doubt the owner has the wealth to truly compete with the big boys). 

It’s understood city abstained from the vote. 

Amazing that you can build the most successful sports league ever, then destroy it in such a needless way. There are plenty of solutions to the sustainability of football that don’t involve destroying the competition element of the sport. It’s fascinating to watch, if a bit depressing. Tbh if I had any interest in Rugby or Cricket I would abandon football, because the future looks really grim. It’s a global league though and I suspect only domestic legacy fans will be disgruntled.

3 hours ago, Geogaddi said:

I guess if we voted for it then we must think it benefits us .

exactly.

it may just be a short term benefit with maybe the plan to lobby for further changes down the road.

it must be better for us even just for next season for us  and the likes of villa to vote for it.

Think I had more hope under Ashley. Could at least dream of him selling up to someone with ambition.

That it was only him holding us back not the entire system.

Now we couldn't have more ambition, potential and wherewithal and it doesn't matter.