Financial Fair Play / Profit & Sustainability

Mattoon

54 minutes ago, Toontimes said:

Hopefully some of those who know about these things can provide clarity but from my naive perspective based on these figures we would need to increase revenue by £27.7m or make up the difference with player sales and wage reduction.

So we may be in a position where we are looking to have to sell to balance the books and hoping for some surplus to reinvest? What makes it more alarming is the Euro 70% cut off leaves us £65m over the limit! Not sure when the Euro rules kick in but looks like qualifying might not be such a good idea.

Potential sponsors will be aware of this too and might be more reluctant to invest. And even if we get some good offers they can be shot down too.

They have really screwed us all ends up. 

As they say the devil is in the detail.

Will the squad for instance be just the over 21s or will it include every professional no matter what their age? Or what about players on loan ?

5 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

Out of interest, based on our turnover last season, what would we have been able to spend ?

Nothing.  We would need to sell to buy.  That applies at the moment too - our turnover is unlikely to increase next season.  We’ve taken most of the low-hanging commercial fruit at this point.  Growth is likely to stagnate unless something extraordinary occurs. 

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

The vote was unanimous on the new rules - all twenty clubs were in favour.

Our owners aren’t as unhappy about this as our support imagines, would be my conclusion.  

Either that or they are laying low.

5 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Our owners aren’t as unhappy about this as our support imagines, would be my conclusion.  

Fully agree. The rules around this new way haven’t even been hashed out yet. Can guarantee there’ll be some major lobbying going on. Whatever it is will be better than what’s currently in place.

11 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Hopefully means a change to sponsorship rules coming. Absolutely no way we have voted for them to be worse off.

5 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Hopefully means a change to sponsorship rules coming. Absolutely no way we have voted for them to be worse off.

It has to, otherwise the league will stagnate under the new rules.  They offer far less leeway than the existing rules, so if clubs are hemmed-in in terms of earnings then we might as well give up

The idea of the club spending in cheat mode like Man City and Chelsea did is completely soulless and unexciting to me. There should be some middle ground to the rules, but Tottenham got regular top 4 finishes and within a whisker of winning the CL without sugar daddy spending, and this was before the new stadium. It can be done and the idea of anyone shrugging their shoulders muttering its impossible because we can't do a Man City is depressing.

I think we need to start to accept the ambitions stated by our owners are overzealous and incorrect. 

I don’t want to hear anymore crying from us about FFP when we vote for these rules. 

2 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

I think we need to start to accept the ambitions stated by our owners are overzealous and incorrect. 

I don’t want to hear anymore crying from us about FFP when we vote for these rules. 

You keep banging your drum, let's wait and see what the summer brings.

Just now, et tu brute said:

You keep banging your drum, let's wait and see what the summer brings.

Indeed, let’s wait and see. 

and I am banging my drum, your right now a famous tweeter has repeated what I’ve been saying it might get through to some people. 

3 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

and I am banging my drum, your right now a famous tweeter has repeated what I’ve been saying it might get through to some people. 

A famous tweeter has made you bang the drum louder, must be someone special then [emoji38]. Why would it get through to people who think you're wrong. I'll wait until the summer and then everyone should be clear as to what is happening. 

1 hour ago, timnufc22 said:

The idea of the club spending in cheat mode like Man City and Chelsea did is completely soulless and unexciting to me. There should be some middle ground to the rules, but Tottenham got regular top 4 finishes and within a whisker of winning the CL without sugar daddy spending, and this was before the new stadium. It can be done and the idea of anyone shrugging their shoulders muttering its impossible because we can't do a Man City is depressing.

Agreed re middle ground on rules, but Spurs’ success was still built on huge income.  The year they reached the Champions League final - five seasons ago - their income was roughly double ours was in 22/23.  In fact you have to go back a decade before their income was the same as ours last season - well before the explosion in income levels.  We’re not likely to hit £400m in income any time soon with the current rules in place and no new stadium - I just don’t see how we do that.

Depressing or not, that is the current position.  We can’t compete without being put on financial steroids for a period to bring in sustained success - that’s how you get the big sponsors and international revenues.  Sad cases the world over need to buy the merchandise and consume shite with our badge slapped on it.  

8 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Don’t be shy - which tweeter?

1 minute ago, et tu brute said:

A famous tweeter has made you bang the drum louder, must be someone special then [emoji38]. Why would it get through to people who think you're wrong. I'll wait until the summer and then everyone should be clear as to what is happening. 

Aye yeah, I definitely haven’t been a broken record on this subject. 

2 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Aye yeah, I definitely haven’t been a broken record on this subject. 

Kieran Maguire has come out saying these new FFP rules are great for the big 6 and terrible for us and Villa. 

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

Kieran Maguire has come out saying these new FFP rules are great for the big 6 and terrible for us and Villa. 

And they definitely are.  As you’ve stated, I’m just not seeing how the club voting the rules in ties with their publicly stated ambitions.  Wonder if certain parties got themselves a wee bit carried away and were unguarded with a microphone in front of them.  Wouldn’t be the only time. 

Just now, r0cafella said:

And? You're not looking at the full picture are you. If the club stays exactly as it is now, then I would agree. Doesn't take into account increased revenue plans. We will find that out in the summer. 

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

And they definitely are.  As you’ve stated, I’m just not seeing how the club voting the rules in ties with their publicly stated ambitions.  Wonder if certain parties got themselves a wee bit carried away and were unguarded with a microphone in front of them.  Wouldn’t be the only time. 

Summer time [emoji38]

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

Well this is the point and what people should be questioning, it’s impossible to challenge with such a disparity on what we can spend, we might push champions league but as for winning the league forget it, won’t happen. 

The owners acknowledge this in the documentary, hence my wider question about have they got carried away making stupid statements? Wouldn’t be the first time right? (Staveley about Bruce, Mehdrad about the atmosphere). 

As @FloydianMag has said relentlessly if we don’t challenge these rules legally the stated aims won’t be achieved. So it’s up to everyone to read between the lines and come up with their own assessment. 

11 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Well this is the point and what people should be questioning, it’s impossible to challenge with such a disparity on what we can spend, we might push champions league but as for winning the league forget it, won’t happen. 

The owners acknowledge this in the documentary, hence my wider question about have they got carried away making stupid statements? Wouldn’t be the first time right? (Staveley about Bruce, Mehdrad about the atmosphere). 

As @FloydianMag has said relentlessly if we don’t challenge these rules legally the stated aims won’t be achieved. So it’s up to everyone to read between the lines and come up with their own assessment. 

Mind I will say, if the revenue increases that I expect in the summer don't happen, then I'll be banging the drum louder than you. We just have to wait and see.