Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

11 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

A display doesn’t = atmosphere though. Those displays are create by 20-30 lads every week. That’s it. Imagine 20 lads singing all game, it would barely make a h’appeth’s difference. 

We’ve become a fan base that pats ourselves on the back for waving a flag and deciding that’s enough for the rest of the game. The same volunteers that put the flags out and do all the work are now basically a free marketing arm for the club who take a photo and post it on social media for other fans to see - again recreating a myth on ‘atmosphere’.   Matt Ritchie came out and had a go at the WF lads for not having a display against Bournemouth ffs! I’m paraphrasing here but it was something like “I never want to see this ground without flags ever again!”. Clearly the fan base thinks this too, as their Twitter DMs were full of abuse after the game. We’re now in a position where the WF lads are effectively beholden to doing some form of display every week otherwise there isn’t even a pre match atmosphere for us to pat each other on the back with.  

What happens if WF decided to jack it in overnight? Or they can’t be arsed to continue devoting hundreds of hours a season when other fans can’t be arsed to help them out by moving a seat to allow safe standing? Or others who sit on their hands, or others who moan and boo continue to not contribute positively in any way other than being happy to sit there every week?

Like it or not, we’re on a precipice here. We’re in uncharted territory. If we get this wrong now, as the club heads into unknown highs, and we become a global brand - everything we’ve moaned about in here will feel like child’s play compared to what’s about to come. 

I think it’s a conversation we need to have and it’s one that’s been going on since the Toon Ultras. A tiny pocket of the Strawberry Corner singing (ex Level 7ers may I add) isn’t enough, and it’s beginning to show. 

I’ll leave it there for now and I’m intrigued to see what Sunday brings…

The displays are currently wasted on our support tbh. Obviously not the wor flags lads faults. But it just creates this whole myth. Wouldn't mind if they gave it a miss for a few games to see what people think then...

4 minutes ago, jack j said:

The displays are currently wasted on our support tbh. Obviously not the wor flags lads faults. But it just creates this whole myth. Wouldn't mind if they gave it a miss for a few games to see what people think then...

Agree that undoubtedly it looks fantastic on TV but the reality inside the ground is as soon as the flags go down and the referee blows for kick off the ground falls silent. It'll happen again on Sunday.

Building up to kick off and then stopping is a challenging thing in itself TBH. 

Would be happy to leave it for a few games and bring it back too… don’t want it to become routine. 

Also need to sort the DJ and announcer, does no favours at all. 

3 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Building up to kick off and then stopping is a challenging thing in itself TBH. 

Would be happy to leave it for a few games and bring it back too… don’t want it to become routine. 

Also need to sort the DJ and announcer, does no favours at all. 

Agree with this. The announcer with his "Enjoy the Game" cry - I mean wtf is that all about, it needs to stop. Literally encourages people to treat the match like going to a theatre, sit back say nothing and be entertained. 

Edited by Bada Bing

Obviously strawberry corner looks to be area of choice but wouldnt it of been worth sticking safe standing from end of family enclosure all around into away section. That way if we play a team who brings 1.5k we then have a large standing area that can also cater for member sales etc.

Edited by NUFC91

16 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

A display doesn’t = atmosphere though. Those displays are create by 20-30 lads every week. That’s it. Imagine 20 lads singing all game, it would barely make a h’appeth’s difference. 

We’ve become a fan base that pats ourselves on the back for waving a flag and deciding that’s enough for the rest of the game. The same volunteers that put the flags out and do all the work are now basically a free marketing arm for the club who take a photo and post it on social media for other fans to see - again recreating a myth on ‘atmosphere’.   Matt Ritchie came out and had a go at the WF lads for not having a display against Bournemouth ffs! I’m paraphrasing here but it was something like “I never want to see this ground without flags ever again!”. Clearly the fan base thinks this too, as their Twitter DMs were full of abuse after the game. We’re now in a position where the WF lads are effectively beholden to doing some form of display every week otherwise there isn’t even a pre match atmosphere for us to pat each other on the back with.  

What happens if WF decided to jack it in overnight? Or they can’t be arsed to continue devoting hundreds of hours a season when other fans can’t be arsed to help them out by moving a seat to allow safe standing? Or others who sit on their hands, or others who moan and boo continue to not contribute positively in any way other than being happy to sit there every week?

Like it or not, we’re on a precipice here. We’re in uncharted territory. If we get this wrong now, as the club heads into unknown highs, and we become a global brand - everything we’ve moaned about in here will feel like child’s play compared to what’s about to come. 

I think it’s a conversation we need to have and it’s one that’s been going on since the Toon Ultras. A tiny pocket of the Strawberry Corner singing (ex Level 7ers may I add) isn’t enough, and it’s beginning to show. 

I’ll leave it there for now and I’m intrigued to see what Sunday brings…

Totally agree. I hate the idea of the ground becoming like the Etihad, it would genuinely take away from any potential achievements on the pitch for me. The flags are amazing and we should be proud, but not too self complimentary about SJP atmosphere as a whole to the levels we criticise Liverpool for. What's that SBR quote? "Its about the noise, the passion... " and I totally get that not everyone will sing and nor should they nessicarily, because people go to games for different reasons. But there's something about us as supporters doing our part and holding up our end of the bargain that makes everything else so much more satisfying. 

The reason I think Leazes L4 would be perfect because of all the boxes it ticks - 

Next to the away fans 

Visually inspiring to the rest of the ground

Better chance of noise spreading

Close enough to the pitch for the players to hear

Less ST holders in that area (apparently) so easier to implement

If they're going for the Gallowgate then that's fine for now I suppose and better than nothing but I do think we should continue pushing for the above long-term, as safe standing numbers expand - or even just as a singing section (the standing will then come naturally).

If we can put the right building blocks in place now, it will ensure any change towards a more passive, global fanbase is offset by having a strong core and structure in place of standing/singing sections(s) in the right area's and makes the SJP worthy of its of reputation.

1 hour ago, Kid Icarus said:

Playing Doris Day at ear splitting volume, man :lol: Surely that was an eye-opener for Eales.

Not advocating getting rid of him either, someone should just maybe have a word.

I’m advocating getting rid of him :lol: 

2 hours ago, STM said:

I see the "we have a shite atmosphere, it was better in my day" craic is back in full swing. Mint. Let's keep bashing our own fans, despite putting on better displays/atmosphere than at least 80% of the league frequently.

We also have probably the best away fans in the country but one quiet day and its "used to be better".

Yes we want to improve the atmosphere at SJP because it can be better but it's still one of the best. Unless you want no women or children at the game or expect the full stadium to be standing for the entire match, I suspect expectations are too high.

Let's say we have loads of standing fans behind the goals, all singing and roaring the team on...... and then we concede a goal. :lol:

of course there is going to be a lull, it's perfectly natural.

I suspect some want to knock our stadium and atmosphere as some sort of cock waving towards "the good old days".

Loads of fans standing and roaring the team on at nil nil would be a huge improvement on the current experience. The home support is fucking dreadful mate whatever way you want to dress it up.

Edited by Whitley mag

Do we genuinely think Doris Day broke the PA system? It was in shambles against Liverpool.

Can we make it an urban myth, if not?

The bloke seems sound enough, but the whole matchday experience could do with an overhaul really. I'm sure Eales will be on it.

If they only do (one area) as a trial it should be Leazes (level 4) and at least 3,000

The Gallowgate Strawberry Corner stand up anyway and make the most noise. 

Putting it there would be pointless.

I still think it the two best options would be 

Full gallowgate 

or 

2,000 in each of the four stands 

Edited by JonBez comesock

3 minutes ago, JonBez comesock said:

If they only do (one area) as a trial it should be Leazes (level 4) and at least 3,000

The Gallowgate Strawberry Corner stand up anyway and make the most noise. 

Putting it there would be pointless.

I still think it the two best options would be 

Full gallowgate 

or 

2,000 in each of the four stands 

I've always said the full Gallowgate. I think it's best when there's one main "home" area that generates the noise and the rest of the crowd can feed off. That's what the atmosphere at English grounds was built on whether it was the Kop, Stretford End, Holte End, Shed End North Bank or our very own Leazes End. You have your hard-core together. 

The problem with 4 separate areas in opposite corners of the ground is by the time 1 section starts up with something, by the time it's got round the others it's already fizzling out and with all due respect we struggle to sing in time at the best of times these days!

6 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

I've always said the full Gallowgate. I think it's best when there's one main "home" area that generates the noise and the rest of the crowd can feed off. That's what the atmosphere at English grounds was built on whether it was the Kop, Stretford End, Holte End, Shed End North Bank or our very own Leazes End. You have your hard-core together. 

The problem with 4 separate areas in opposite corners of the ground is by the time 1 section starts up with something, by the time it's got round the others it's already fizzling out and with all due respect we struggle to sing in time at the best of times these days!

Yeah good point about the four stands to be fair. 

As mentioned Full gallowgate would be ideal.

If the ground is expanded over the next few years , the whole thing needs looking at properly 

On 09/03/2023 at 10:23, Pilko said:

Sounds unsurprisingly like the old, know-it-all "I've been here since 197x" brigade who sit silently and hate any kind of change will put the dampeners on this to me.

They will absolutely piss and moan and whinge all they can about it. "I've been in this seat since 1994 and was planning on leaving it to my grandson in his will" types. 

It's why I'm glad that it's the club leading on this and not any kind of fan group or even the trust. Reduces the opportunity for accusations that this is all about pushing an agenda, Alex Hurst is doing this just to steal my grandads seat etc. 

The club can be ruthless and get away with it because, well, it's their stadium. 

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Do we genuinely think Doris Day broke the PA system? It was in shambles against Liverpool.

Can we make it an urban myth, if not?

The bloke seems sound enough, but the whole matchday experience could do with an overhaul really. I'm sure Eales will be on it.

Speaker was suffering before D Day but I think it was the final straw for it 🙂

4 minutes ago, 80 said:

If someone's instincts are that far off, there's no salvation for them I don't think.

When they showed him on the big screen at Wembley before ko, that was the first time I’d ever seen him.

I wasn’t surprised by his appearance…

Speaking as someone who hadn't been in the ground for a decade before the takeover, I can confirm the atmosphere now is shocking compared to before. Not shocking in a bad way, although it is, but shocking in the sense of "I don't recognise this place". It's probably more stark when you've not been watching the slow decline.

The clientele (I use that word advisedly) and general attitude. The half heartedness. The (few) chants feel like transactional tribute acts. The confusion on people's faces, like they're in the studio audience of a TV chatshow. It reminds me of a more grandiose version of Bolton Wanderers, and we used to laugh at that. It's weird.

I feel like the kid who left the choir when the new priest came in and started looking weird. Coming back left me in no doubt that I made the right move and avoided a lot of damage.

6 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

Your experience is just as relevant as the countless opposition fans who big us up and these experiences are all opinions.

I don't disagree with you about our atmosphere, my only point is that things aren't as bleak as they could be, we're starting from a point where we have a reputation for having one of the best atmospheres in the country.

This is a fair point and it's helpful to retain some perspective here. 

I live in Leeds and all of their fans are proud of the home atmosphere at Elland Road. The only other ground they think can hold a candle to it for atmosphere is SJP. 

Mind you it probably helps that the three times they've been recently have been a Friday night or NYE with everyone pissed up and rowdy 😂

30 minutes ago, geordiesteve710 said:

They will absolutely piss and moan and whinge all they can about it. "I've been in this seat since 1994 and was planning on leaving it to my grandson in his will" types. 

It's why I'm glad that it's the club leading on this and not any kind of fan group or even the trust. Reduces the opportunity for accusations that this is all about pushing an agenda, Alex Hurst is doing this just to steal my grandads seat etc. 

The club can be ruthless and get away with it because, well, it's their stadium. 

This is 99.9% of problem, full of pricks who are are scared to change amd too stubborn.

The club 110% need to be ruthless, only way it will work

27 minutes ago, 80 said:

Speaking as someone who hadn't been in the ground for a decade before the takeover, I can confirm the atmosphere now is shocking compared to before. Not shocking in a bad way, although it is, but shocking in the sense of "I don't recognise this place". It's probably more stark when you've not been watching the slow decline.

The clientele (I use that word advisedly) and general attitude. The half heartedness. The (few) chants feel like transactional tribute acts. The confusion on people's faces, like they're in the studio audience of a TV chatshow. It reminds me of a more grandiose version of Bolton Wanderers, and we used to laugh at that. It's weird.

I feel like the kid who left the choir when the new priest came in and started looking weird. Coming back left me in no doubt that I made the right move and avoided a lot of damage.

I’m probably similar to yourself came back for the spurs home game after the takeover. Loved the build up, city absolute rocking, then place was flat as a pancake once ref blew whistle. Picked up when Wilson scored then quickly went flat again, I couldn’t believe it the fuckers could only raise themselves to chant we want brucey out near the end. 

We’d waited 15 years to get rid of Ashley and we couldn’t maintain an atmosphere for at least 45 minutes. If that was Elland Road they’d have been raucous and defiant in defeat, the current fanbase inside SJP reek of customers who think it’s the in thing to go to a PL match.

Its a sad state of affairs and the only thing negative about the club in my eyes at the moment, which is ironic because in the doldrums of the 70’s, 80’s and early 90’s the support was the one thing that kept the club going. Ffs we can’t even blame the takeover and winning trophies for the demise in atmosphere, something deep rooted has changed the fanbase and it’s going to be difficult to get back after 15 years of Ashley.

Edited by Whitley mag

8 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

I’m probably similar to yourself came back for the spurs home game after the takeover. Loved the build up, city absolute rocking, then place was flat as a pancake once ref blew whistle. Picked up when Wilson scored then quickly went flat again, I couldn’t believe it the fuckers could only raise themselves to chant we want brucey out near the end. 

We’d waited 15 years to get rid of Ashley and we couldn’t maintain an atmosphere for at least 45 minutes. If that was Elland Road they’d have been raucous and defiant in defeat, the current fanbase inside SJP reek of customers who think it’s the in thing to go to a PL match.

Its a sad state of affairs and the only thing negative about the club in my eyes at the moment, which is ironic because in the doldrums of the 70’s, 80’s and early 90’s the support was the one thing that kept the club going. Ffs we can’t even blame the takeover and winning trophies for the demise in atmosphere, something deep rooted has changed the fanbase and it’s going to be difficult to get back after 15 years of Ashley.

Someone having a heart attack during the game tends to dampen at atmosphere I think.

The idea that any (English) stadium is full of fans who consistently sing for 90 minutes is bollocks like. Elland Road was flat as  owt in 16/17 after the first 15 minutes. This after the local media had spent all week going on like you wouldn't believe about how hostile it was going to be. 

There have been posts in this thread piping Man U off as being the best fans going but we've seen this week for the second time this season if things aren't going their way they're quite happy to fuck off just after halftime leaving the away end empty. This time last year SJP was rocking, now it's generally not.

English football in general suffers with this kind of swing between fans as customers or as partisan supporters and imo we’re no better or worse.  What's the answer? I think safe standing is a real opportunity and I'm particularly encouraged by reading what @Wallsendmag made of Chelsea midweek because it's a stadium I've never found to be particularly intimidating or noisy.