Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

50 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Our support has lost its edge it’s as simple as that, compared to other big clubs support we look like mice.

We seemed to have lost an older generation who used to go and there’s no groups of younger lads to take their place. Football has changed but a lot of clubs have still retained a hardcore of lads who attend the match in big groups.

The Ashley generation of folk just being happy to fill their Saturday afternoon in reign supreme in the majority. They we’re mutes when he was running the club into the ground and mutes at Wembley.

They’ll not raise their voices in relation to anything seriously damaging the club, but will boo and moan their tits off when Longstaff gets caught on the ball.

Newcastle losing doesn’t spoil their weekend and asking them to move seats to create an atmosphere, you’ve got to be kidding they’ll look at you as if you’re fucking stupid.

Some of these cunts had the audacity to have a go at supporters at Wembley for standing and trying to create an atmosphere. 

Anyone at Old Trafford for the Spurs semi will remember everyone standing in that big stand and it moving due to the noise, that’s right an all seater stand didn’t stop the crowd that day, contrast that to the pitiful excuse of day trippers who turned up at Wembley to support the club.

The current crowd need a shake up and if it means upsetting folk who don’t want to stand fucking tough. Move the cunts and let some passionate fans save the reputation of a once passionate and proud fanbase.

Could'nt say it better. Spiteful fuckers who put their view on match day above good of the team and will moan at any change proposed by the club.

1 hour ago, Whitley mag said:

Our support has lost its edge it’s as simple as that, compared to other big clubs support we look like mice.

We seemed to have lost an older generation who used to go and there’s no groups of younger lads to take their place. Football has changed but a lot of clubs have still retained a hardcore of lads who attend the match in big groups.

The Ashley generation of folk just being happy to fill their Saturday afternoon in reign supreme in the majority. They we’re mutes when he was running the club into the ground and mutes at Wembley.

They’ll not raise their voices in relation to anything seriously damaging the club, but will boo and moan their tits off when Longstaff gets caught on the ball.

Newcastle losing doesn’t spoil their weekend and asking them to move seats to create an atmosphere, you’ve got to be kidding they’ll look at you as if you’re fucking stupid.

Some of these cunts had the audacity to have a go at supporters at Wembley for standing and trying to create an atmosphere. 

Anyone at Old Trafford for the Spurs semi will remember everyone standing in that big stand and it moving due to the noise, that’s right an all seater stand didn’t stop the crowd that day, contrast that to the pitiful excuse of day trippers who turned up at Wembley to support the club.

The current crowd need a shake up and if it means upsetting folk who don’t want to stand fucking tough. Move the cunts and let some passionate fans save the reputation of a once passionate and proud fanbase.

:clap:

Howay then. There’s enough of us on here that want to make a difference. Wor Flags have made a difference with just 20 lads. What could we achieve by following suit and trying to bring back the atmosphere properly?

I really like @NUFC91’s idea of trying to get things going each week at a pub. I know the WF lot has done things previously from the North Terrace. Perhaps a good starting point to get like minded individuals and get a pub bouncing and work our way down to the ground. Fuck Wonderbar and stuff like that - it plays its role I suppose…I dunno. 

No reason at all to not improve, but I don't buy this idea that we look rubbish compared to other clubs home support stuff at all. Every single time a list of best home atmospheres comes up on TikTok, YouTube etc from away day support channels you can guarantee that Newcastle or Leeds will be voted 1 or 2 (with the occasional Crystal Palace) and there'll be comments liked in the thousands backing it up from people around the country. The fans making these lists, most have done every stadium in the Premier League, they have no reason to lie.

We know how good it can be, so there's the danger of thinking that a bad day compared to our best is bad overall, when it's comparatively very good.

Like I say, there's no reason to not improve, we all want the best atmosphere possible, but there's no need to be despondent about it, we're trying to improve from the position of having one of - if not THE - most highly regarded atmospheres in the country.

6 hours ago, TheGuv said:

Howay then. There’s enough of us on here that want to make a difference. Wor Flags have made a difference with just 20 lads. What could we achieve by following suit and trying to bring back the atmosphere properly?

I really like @NUFC91’s idea of trying to get things going each week at a pub. I know the WF lot has done things previously from the North Terrace. Perhaps a good starting point to get like minded individuals and get a pub bouncing and work our way down to the ground. Fuck Wonderbar and stuff like that - it plays its role I suppose…I dunno. 

I don’t want to stop this in its tracks. Butttttt this is what happens with every MLS club and it’s fucking awesome. 

6 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

No reason at all to not improve, but I don't buy this idea that we look rubbish compared to other clubs home support stuff at all. Every single time a list of best home atmospheres comes up on TikTok, YouTube etc from away day support channels you can guarantee that Newcastle or Leeds will be voted 1 or 2 (with the occasional Crystal Palace) and there'll be comments liked in the thousands backing it up from people around the country. The fans making these lists, most have done every stadium in the Premier League, they have no reason to lie.

We know how good it can be, so there's the danger of thinking that a bad day compared to our best is bad overall, when it's comparatively very good.

Like I say, there's no reason to not improve, we all want the best atmosphere possible, but there's no need to be despondent about it, we're trying to improve from the position of having one of - if not THE - most highly regarded atmospheres in the country.

Disagree. Most TicTok'ers, YouTuber's put stuff in their content for "likes", in other words what people want to hear and praising the likes of Newcastle and Leeds is always a guaranteed "win" for them.

Speaking as someone who has visited every PL ground (other than Bournemouth and Brentford) I'd say our atmosphere ranks somewhere in the middle these days. In times gone by we were right up at the top. We are nowhere near Leeds who have both ends behind the goals stood and singing more or less non stop. Even Man Utd who get a lot of stick for atmosphere have fans to the right of the away end who are very vocal plus a sort of unofficial singing area of around 6k in the Upper tier of the Streford End who stand/sing. They also have around 20k people who stand every match currently. As a comparison I'd say we have maybe 500 max. We don't have a "home end" like a lot of clubs do where likeminded fans can congregate together. Everyone is just mixed in.

I was at the Liverpool match the other week and ended up in L7 right next to the away fans as they were the only seats we could get and our support is completely inaudible from up there.

Unfortunately a lot of our fans were unable to access SJP throughout most of the 1990s and we are paying for that now. Most of the people who watch NUFC these days are either 50+ or are kids. There isn't a great deal in between and it's that age group who traditionally make the noise. It's another reason why I think safe standing will be less well supported here than anywhere else.

Unless we get a new 70k stadium amd ultimately a blank canvas to work with or at least get another 8/10k seats at SJP which will give them some room to play about with things I don't really see things getting much better. Certainly a small token gesture of 2k or so standing places makes no difference.

I'm pleased that the 2 lads off here who went along to the meeting represented us very well and that they are on the same page as me when it comes to this, but they said themselves that the room was largely filled with older people and the facts are that it's those older people who represent the majority of the crowd at SJP these days. Not meaning to generalise here, and of course there are exceptions, but, in the main, older people prefer to sit down than stand and are less inclined to sing and get all radged up! That's just how it is and that is where our problem lies amd unfortunately you can't just fix the demographic of the crowd. That's just the way it is. It's more elderly than others, and more grumpy as well!

8 hours ago, TheGuv said:

You see other clubs do it now, it helps get younger crowd through as well and get them more educated 

Thats annoying thing about the survey it didnt reach out tp everyone. All them 16 year olds in family closure etc get them together etc.

1 minute ago, Wallsendmag said:

Disagree. Most TicTok'ers, YouTuber's put stuff in their content for "likes", in other words what people want to hear and praising the likes of Newcastle and Leeds is always a guaranteed "win" for them.

This point makes no sense.

If it was their intention to tell people what they want to hear, do it for the likes, and play to the masses, then they wouldn't be ranking Newcastle, Leeds, and Palace at the top, it would be Man United and Liverpool, or even Arsenal, all who have several thousand times the online presence we do and who would bring in more likes, shares, subscriptions. But they don't.

Again, they have no reason to lie. Nor do the people with the most upvoted comments saying exactly the same thing.

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

This point makes no sense.

If it was their intention to tell people what they want to hear, do it for the likes, and play to the masses, then they wouldn't be ranking Newcastle, Leeds, and Palace at the top, it would be Man United and Liverpool, or even Arsenal, all who have several thousand times the online presence we do and who would bring in more likes, shares, subscriptions. But they don't.

Again, they have no reason to lie. Nor do the people with the most upvoted comments saying exactly the same thing.

They'd be pulled apart of that because the consensus around the country is that Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal have a shit atmosphere. In reality none of them are any worse than ours. Even Arsenal have started to get their act together.

9 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

Speaking as someone who has visited every PL ground (other than Bournemouth and Brentford) I'd say our atmosphere ranks somewhere in the middle these days. In times gone by we were right up at the top. We are nowhere near Leeds who have both ends behind the goals stood and singing more or less non stop. Even Man Utd who get a lot of stick for atmosphere have fans to the right of the away end who are very vocal plus a sort of unofficial singing area of around 6k in the Upper tier of the Streford End who stand/sing. They also have around 20k people who stand every match currently. As a comparison I'd say we have maybe 500 max. We don't have a "home end" like a lot of clubs do where likeminded fans can congregate together. Everyone is just mixed in.

I was at the Liverpool match the other week and ended up in L7 right next to the away fans as they were the only seats we could get and our support is completely inaudible from up there.

Unfortunately a lot of our fans were unable to access SJP throughout most of the 1990s and we are paying for that now. Most of the people who watch NUFC these days are either 50+ or are kids. There isn't a great deal in between and it's that age group who traditionally make the noise. It's another reason why I think safe standing will be less well supported here than anywhere else.

Unless we get a new 70k stadium amd ultimately a blank canvas to work with or at least get another 8/10k seats at SJP which will give them some room to play about with things I don't really see things getting much better. Certainly a small token gesture of 2k or so standing places makes no difference.

I'm pleased that the 2 lads off here who went along to the meeting represented us very well and that they are on the same page as me when it comes to this, but they said themselves that the room was largely filled with older people and the facts are that it's those older people who represent the majority of the crowd at SJP these days. Not meaning to generalise here, and of course there are exceptions, but, in the main, older people prefer to sit down than stand and are less inclined to sing and get all radged up! That's just how it is and that is where our problem lies amd unfortunately you can't just fix the demographic of the crowd. That's just the way it is. It's more elderly than others, and more grumpy as well!

Same as you mate been to every ground in prem. Probably best atmosphere over last couple of years was actually Wolves. They have safe standing one end and lads stood other end so bounce off each other and it's small ground so works.

We would need 4k in Leazes corner and 4k in Gallowgate, it is possible only if club are willing to have balls and move grounds

Just now, Wallsendmag said:

They'd be pulled apart of that because the consensus around the country is that Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal have a shit atmosphere. In reality none of them are any worse than ours. Even Arsenal have started to get their act together.

Getting pulled apart, ie driving 'interaction' in the way that TalkSport do is also in their best interests. But they don't. 

5 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Getting pulled apart, ie driving 'interaction' in the way that TalkSport do is also in their best interests. But they don't. 

It's just how it is.

Man Utd = tourists

Liverpool = sing YNWA then sit in silence 

Arsenal = library 

Argue differently and people will try to pull you apart.

Leeds is very loud. We look good pre match with the flags, and Palace the only team to have an ultras group attached to them. It's an easy narrative to go along with.

8 minutes ago, NUFC91 said:

Same as you mate been to every ground in prem. Probably best atmosphere over last couple of years was actually Wolves. They have safe standing one end and lads stood other end so bounce off each other and it's small ground so works.

We would need 4k in Leazes corner and 4k in Gallowgate, it is possible only if club are willing to have balls and move grounds

Wolves very underrated mate and totally agree with you. They turned that entire stand to the left of the away end into standing and it's very noisy there now. Definitely one of the most hostile grounds in the league but a terrible experience as an away fan, both the away end itself and not being allowed in any pubs!

2 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

It's just how it is.

Man Utd = tourists

Liverpool = sing YNWA then sit in silence 

Arsenal = library 

Argue differently and people will try to pull you apart.

Leeds is very loud. We look good pre match with the flags, and Palace the only team to have an ultras group attached to them. It's an easy narrative to go along with.

As I say, if that's the narrative, going against that would be in these channels best interests. Comments and downvotes are just as beneficial to them because it drives interaction and advertiser revenue, but they don't do that either.

There's no reason for them to lie. You don't have to agree with them, but they're pretty obviously being sincere.

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

As I say, if that's the narrative, going against that would be in these channels best interests. Comments and downvotes are just as beneficial to them because it drives interaction and advertiser revenue, but they don't do that either.

There's no reason for them to lie. You don't have to agree with them, but they're pretty obviously being sincere.

As I say it's a lazy narrative but it probably goes with the majority consensus on Social media (it's not trendy to say Man Utd or Arsenal have a good atmosphere) but speaking as someone who has visited 18/20 PL stadiums (most on numerous occasions) it's just plain wrong. Leeds is noisy fair enough, we aren't, and Palace is about 400 blokes calling themselves Ultras stuck out the way in a corner whilst the rest of the ground rarely contributes.

Im skeptical of Anfield and Old Trafford being good - if they are that’s very new, I’ve never seen it. No doubt they are on special nights. ManU friend was in the home end for our game at SJP against them last season and thought it was amazing. 

Someone off here said Chelsea was good this week. I believe them, but that was a midweek CL win. Stamford Bridge was shit just last April when we played there (with a large amount of safe standing).

I agree ours needs big improvement but jm

skeptical that we’re getting left behind by those kinds of teams. It’s shit a lot of the time and capable of being great in certain games. 

Just now, Superior Acuña said:

Im skeptical of Anfield and Old Trafford being good - if they are that’s very new, I’ve never seen it. No doubt they are on special nights. ManU friend was in the home end for our game at SJP against them last season and thought it was amazing. 

Someone off here said Chelsea was good this week. I believe them, but that was a midweek CL win. Stamford Bridge was shit just last April when we played there (with a large amount of safe standing).

I agree ours needs big improvement but jm

skeptical that we’re getting left behind by those kinds of teams. It’s shit a lot of the time and capable of being great in certain games. 

It was me who was at Stamford Bridge this week and the atmosphere did really surprise me. It was absolutely jumping! Yes it was a big game although I'd argue that Southampton in the League Cup Semi Final was an even bigger game for us and let's be honest it was flat as a fart apart from the last 5 mins. If you can't get up for a game like that (and most of the crowd couldn't) I suggest there's a problem there and the lack of any noise at Wembley really hit home. I hated being outsung by those bastards!

I've been to Anfield when it's been very loud and also pretty quiet. The extremes probably less so at Old Trafford. The atmosphere has been poor at SJP for a very long time now except for October onwards of last season but If people can't get up for it when we are challenging for a Champions League place and getting to a Cup Final I reckon we have real a problem there.

2 minutes ago, Bellis80 said:

We’ve lost one home game in about 18 months but we’re a soft touch and should be more like Wolves where it’s so bouncing they get fucked every other week.

:anguish:

6 minutes ago, Bellis80 said:

We’ve lost one home game in about 18 months but we’re a soft touch and should be more like Wolves where it’s so bouncing they get fucked every other week.

Which makes it even more strange why our (in game) atmosphere is so poor.

Weve asked for a team that tries and yet 95% of the crowd want to sit on their hands or take selfies to post on social media when they get home to show everyone they went to the match.

I refuse to sit anywhere wise other than the gallowgate now as the rest of the ground is silent as fucx.

49 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

As I say it's a lazy narrative but it probably goes with the majority consensus on Social media (it's not trendy to say Man Utd or Arsenal have a good atmosphere) but speaking as someone who has visited 18/20 PL stadiums (most on numerous occasions) it's just plain wrong. Leeds is noisy fair enough, we aren't, and Palace is about 400 blokes calling themselves Ultras stuck out the way in a corner whilst the rest of the ground rarely contributes.

Nah, they have every reason to not put us near the top, they don't. It might not be easy to accept but it's probably just that they're telling the truth.