Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

2 hours ago, madras said:

Yeah cos everyone should just give you what you want.

Doesn't affect me I'm in level 7, I could stand for the game but now, given the choice I'll sit, but fuck me the way you lot are going on. You've got people sat there for years with friends, built up loads of relationships with people around and are a bit pissed off that they might have to move to worse seats away from their friends so people who in their eyes may have just bounced in on the back of the takeover can sing a bit.

I'm in favour of safe standing and could see it eventually being more than a 1:1 ratio, but bugger me, anyone against is a spiteful cunt ? 

If they've built up such good relationships they can meet up in the pub before and after the game. The match itself isn't really the time for discussing knitting patterns etc. It's a time for getting behind the team you claim to support. You've actually described a big part of the problem. Lot's of people have forgotten why they are there.

The main priority is giving the team maximum support to give them the best chance of winning the game. Too many people now treating the actual 90 minutes as just another part of the social occasion.

58 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

If they've built up such good relationships they can meet up in the pub before and after the game. The match itself isn't really the time for discussing knitting patterns etc. It's a time for getting behind the team you claim to support. You've actually described a big part of the problem. Lot's of people have forgotten why they are there.

The main priority is giving the team maximum support to give them the best chance of winning the game. Too many people now treating the actual 90 minutes as just another part of the social occasion.

It's always been the same, many older people want to watch, support their own way with a "come on" etc, they were coming back hoarse from games 40yrs ago,  are they spiteful cunts for that ? 

Edited by madras

9 hours ago, madras said:

It's always been the same, many older people want to watch, support their own way with a "come on" etc, they were coming back hoarse from games 40yrs ago,  are they spiteful cunts for that ? 

The thing is it hasn't always been the same has it? Younger more excitable people would start off in the Leazes or the Gallowgate. Then as they grew a bit older they'd migrate to the Paddocks or the "old man's corner" (Gallowgate M section) and then when/if they'd finally had enough of standing they'd move to either the West/Milburn Stand or the East Stand.

Now you've got the same people occupying the same seat they've had in the Gallowgate for best part of 30 years and like it or not that is the biggest problem with the atmosphere these days. Once upon a time they'd be long gone to either the East or Milburn Stand but they are still there diluting the atmosphere in what should be the loudest part of the ground.

The middle tier of the Gallowgate especially, which is what most people would consider gives the best view from that Stand is full of people in their 50s/60s/70s. It's never going to make for a good atmosphere. Once upon a time they would have long since moved out and those places would be occupied by teenagers/lads in their 20s/30s.

Just now, Wallsendmag said:

The thing is it hasn't always been the same has it? Younger more excitable people would start off in the Leazes or the Gallowgate. Then as they grew a bit older they'd migrate to the Paddocks or the "old man's corner" (Gallowgate M section) and then when/if they'd finally had enough of standing they'd move to either the West/Milburn Stand or the East Stand.

Now you've got the same people occupying the same seat they've had in the Gallowgate for best part of 30 years and like it or not that is the biggest problem with the atmosphere these days. Once upon a time they'd be long gone to either the East or Milburn Stand but they are still there diluting the atmosphere in what should be the loudest part of the ground.

The middle tier of the Gallowgate especially, which is what most people would consider gives the best view from that Stand is full of people in their 50s/60s/70s. It's never going to make for a good atmosphere. Once upon a time they would have long since moved out and those places would be occupied by teenagers/lads in their 20s/30s.

And your solution is ? Kick them out ? make them go to Inferior seats ?

Let's face it all you're saying is "this is what I want".

Make the whole of the Gallowgate and it’s corners safe standing while redeveloping it and give people the option to stay and stand or sit elsewhere?

Should add “at no extra cost”, they could even get a fixed price or discount for a set number of years for the inconvenience/their selflessness?

Of all the people I know  affected, most are staying put, 3 are moving (grandad, son and grandson), 3 are waiting to see what alternative is offered. Why are any of them spiteful cunts for feeling pissed off about it ?

Edited by madras

Where are you moving these people to? Go to the East or Milburn and your ticket is going up £200+, struggling to get a few together or going upstairs. And if people as old as suggested that’s not a particularly good option.

7 minutes ago, madras said:

You said this ie what has always happened. I'm just letting you know that's not the case at all. It's simply a symptom of all seater stadia and the season ticket culture.

They can be moved to other seats in the Leazes End which gives an identical view. Alternatively give them first refusal on availability seats in the Milburn or East Stand.

My dad si in his 70s and sits in the Gallowgate middle tier. Same seats since 1994. He filled in the survey the other week and whilst he wouldn't want to stand now he voted in favour of it and said he'd be happy to move to make way for it so that younger fans can get the chance to stand like how he did in the late 50s when he first started going up until the 90s.

13 minutes ago, madras said:

I think the vast majority of those surveyed voted in favour of safe standing so it's what the majority want.

6 minutes ago, Bellis80 said:

Where are you moving these people to? Go to the East or Milburn and your ticket is going up £200+, struggling to get a few together or going upstairs. And if people as old as suggested that’s not a particularly good option.

1000s of spare seats in the Leazes which is the same price as the Gallowgate.

Just now, Wallsendmag said:

You said this ie what has always happened. I'm just letting you know that's not the case at all. It's simply a symptom of all seater stadia and the season ticket culture.

They can be moved to other seats in the Leazes End which gives an identical view. Alternatively give them first refusal on availability seats in the Milburn or East Stand.

My dad si in his 70s and sits in the Gallowgate middle tier. Same seats since 1994. He filled in the survey the other week and whilst he wouldn't want to stand now he voted in favour of it and said he'd be happy to move to make way for it so that younger fans can get the chance to stand like how he did in the late 50s when he first started going up until the 90s.

You're partially right. However there were many olders in the Gallowgate (standing) as well because the vision if the Gallowgate as being like the Leazes was a myth. Big games it was raucous, more regularly it was a couple of hundred in the very centre and sounded quite crap if you were anywhere else in the ground with those who didn't go in the Leazes before its demolition still going there and getting older.

3 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

I think the vast majority of those surveyed voted in favour of safe standing so it's what the majority want.

I'm hoping one day they don't come to you and say we want your space for corporate, your moving and people don't call you a spiteful cunt for feeling pissed off about it 

5 minutes ago, madras said:

I'm hoping one day they don't come to you and say we want your space for corporate, your moving and people don't call you a spiteful cunt for feeling pissed off about it 

It would hardly be a new thing. They threw 1000s out of their seats in the Milburn Stand to make room for the Platinum Club. People are under the misinterpretation that bit of plastic is their own personal property but it isn't. It remains the property of the club and all they are doing is renting it off them on a seasonal basis.

Ultimately safe standing is something that would benefit the team as it would allow for a far better atmosphere and greater support for the players. If it affects you the club will will work with you to find the beat possible replacement seat I'm sure.

It's already happened at plenty of other clubs with minimal fuss (Chelsea converted over 25% of their stadium into safe standing), but lots of NUFC fans love a whinge!

11 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

It would hardly be a new thing. They threw 1000s out of their seats in the Milburn Stand to make room for the Platinum Club. People are under the misinterpretation that bit of plastic is their own personal property but it isn't. It remains the property of the club and all they are doing is renting it off them on a seasonal basis.

Ultimately safe standing is something that would benefit the team as it would allow for a far better atmosphere and greater support for the players. If it affects you the club will will work with you to find the beat possible replacement seat I'm sure.

It's already happened at plenty of other clubs with minimal fuss (Chelsea converted over 25% of their stadium into safe standing), but lots of NUFC fans love a whinge!

And are they spiteful cunts for being pissed off about it ?

28 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Didn't the same survey show that despite the majority wanting it, most wouldn't want to personally move as well?

Yep, and that's the nature of society generally - they'll say 'yes' if they think it sounds like a good thing, but any follow-up question whereby it is implied that there may be a sacrifice on their behalf and suddenly there is a 'no'.

One for the politics threads, but this is what happens in general polling too.  'Do you think that the utilities and railways should be nationalised?' 'YES' says the majority.  'Are you willing to pay extra taxation for this?'  'NO CHANCE' is usually the reply of a significant number.  And that is the only time I'll compare the seating / standing question to why Labour lose elections despite their policies all being popular.

1 hour ago, Wallsendmag said:

Yep - it is easily forgotten that this was pretty much what happened for a century until SJP went all-seater in the mid-90s.  You could almost trace out the seven ages of man inside the ground (not infancy of course) - all represented by different locations.  

I haven't watched the 5-0 for a long, long time so as a warm up for today I thought I'd give the whole match a watch to see if I am just looking back at the SJP atmosphere of old with rose tinted glasses. Well, this confirmed that I'm not. A wall of noise from all four sides of the ground throughout the match.

Yeah, the scoreline played a part, but, even in the 15 minutes before we scored the first goal, there is a hostile intensity to the atmosphere that just is not there anymore at SJP. 

Watching this really made me miss the days of the pre-Level 7 St James's. If the ground is extended they really need to take stadium accoustics into consideration to keep the noise inside the ground.

3 minutes ago, Wandy said:

I haven't watched the 5-0 for a long, long time so as a warm up for today I thought I'd give the whole match a watch to see if I am just looking back at the SJP atmosphere of old with rose tinted glasses. Well, this confirmed that I'm not. A wall of noise from all four sides of the ground throughout the match.

Yeah, the scoreline played a part, but, even in the 15 minutes before we scored the first goal, there is a hostile intensity to the atmosphere that just is not there anymore at SJP. 

Watching this really made me miss the days of the pre-Level 7 St James's. If the ground is extended they really need to take stadium accoustics into consideration to keep the noise inside the ground.

The fixture and the opposition made the atmosphere that night - there were plenty of turgid atmospheres that season.  Half the articles in The Mag in the mid-90s were whinges about the shite atmosphere from the all-seater stadium (and the grumbling about 'glory seekers' who'd came into the ground).   The home game vs Sheff Wed earlier in the season I recollect being about as flat as it could be for a capacity crowd.

On 30/03/2023 at 13:44, Hovagod said:

Man Utd fans were completely silent at SJP last year and our crowd was excellent. This love in with Man Utd's away support is such a weird offshoot of their lavish success in the 90s. When have they ever demonstrated defiance in the face of their more recent set of circumstances? They fucked off like Sunderland fans during their hammerings at both City and Liverpool. When did you last see a half empty away end of ours way before full time?

The wankathon over Man Utd fans in this thread is really bizarre like. I've been to Old Trafford shit loads of times to watch Newcastle and the atmosphere is never like the YouTube video linked above. Could just as easily post a link of the Arsenal game at SJP last year and claim there's no problem at our stadium, which we'd all know is bollocks.

They will be loud today because their away fans always are (unless they go home at halftime) but even at Wembley they didn't come over particularly loud either (although the stadium acoustics might not have helped admittedly) and they were streaming out in their thousands before the cup had even been lifted.

Such a bizarre fanbase to romanticise.

As for our fans today, I don't know what to expect. If people realise how big a game it is we should be up for it from the off, but Sunday games are odd and I think it will depend on what happens on the pitch which is a shame. One of the loudest games I've ever seen at SJP was 97/98 (I think) when Cole scored the only goal and celebrated by dancing all the way down the East Stand touchline. Even though Newcastle were dogshit that day and didn't make a proper chance until injury time, the atmosphere was 90 minutes of intimidating noise. Could do with that today really.

12 hours ago, TheGuv said:

Watch what happens at half time tomorrow. Everyone sitting will stand for 15 minutes. But they won’t do it during the game.

It’s bizarre. 

While we're on the subject of halftime the first 5 minutes of the second half is an embarrassment and has been for as long as I can remember.

Like people think there's a warmup before the second half begins or something.

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

The fixture and the opposition made the atmosphere that night - there were plenty of turgid atmospheres that season.  Half the articles in The Mag in the mid-90s were whinges about the shite atmosphere from the all-seater stadium (and the grumbling about 'glory seekers' who'd came into the ground).   The home game vs Sheff Wed earlier in the season I recollect being about as flat as it could be for a capacity crowd.

True. The difference though is that, even on one of the better days, the modern-day SJP atmosphere never hits the heights of old.

3 minutes ago, geordiesteve710 said:

The wankathon over Man Utd fans in this thread is really bizarre like. I've been to Old Trafford shit loads of times to watch Newcastle and the atmosphere is never like the YouTube video linked above. Could just as easily post a link of the Arsenal game at SJP last year and claim there's no problem at our stadium, which we'd all know is bollocks.

They will be loud today because their away fans always are (unless they go home at halftime) but even at Wembley they didn't come over particularly loud either (although the stadium acoustics might not have helped admittedly) and they were streaming out in their thousands before the cup had even been lifted.

Such a bizarre fanbase to romanticise.

As for our fans today, I don't know what to expect. If people realise how big a game it is we should be up for it from the off, but Sunday games are odd and I think it will depend on what happens on the pitch which is a shame. One of the loudest games I've ever seen at SJP was 97/98 (I think) when Cole scored the only goal and celebrated by dancing all the way down the East Stand touchline. Even though Newcastle were dogshit that day and didn't make a proper chance until injury time, the atmosphere was 90 minutes of intimidating noise. Could do with that today really.

Yeah, I remember that match - it was a bear pit for any game vs Man Utd during that period.  Cole acting the cunt didn't exactly help :) - there was a bloke who sat near me who was ejected during Cole's celebrations (he was apoplectic - though 'happily' not in a racist way, just in an angry rabid-dog hating on all things Man Utd kind of way.  It was completely owa the top, nonetheless).