Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

8 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Eh? How come? Everyone starts from scratch and builds loyalty points. When I say everyone I mean all members. ST holders should get no perks when it comes to away tickets.

It’s rewarding loyalty starting from the point we became good. It’s a contradiction in terms 

41 minutes ago, NUFC91 said:

Issue is the lads who went last several years wanted to be there for day out and back the lads.

The type who want to go now want to go to say they went, people same boring fuckers who complain they had to move out of corner for standing

Too simplistic an argument. Also my question to this is why these lads in several years have neither a ST or 5+points of their own? Don’t even sound the type that would ever sacrifice their ST/Points due to boycotts etc.

Sounds like they’ve had a great run but the rules about not transferring tickets that has always stood for decades has been slightly more enforced.

You both (Wandy) need to aim your anger at corporate/staff allocations if anything at all. Not ST holders with loyalty points.

Edited by LFEE

10 minutes ago, madras said:

Why should everyone start from. Scratch , because it would benefit you and your mates maybe ?

Lol, not at all. The club has essentially become a start-up club with everything starting again from scratch and ticket allocation should maybe reflect that. My main aim would be to allow those who have gone to aways on ST Holders' tickets (but now cant get a ticket at all) have a new and equal chance to get a ticket.

13 minutes ago, SteV said:

At this point we’ve supposedly got 60/70k members plus 30k ST holders. So we’d have about 100k people eligible for 3k (less really) tickets every away game.  Even if only 15/20% apply, you’ll be doing very well to make two games a season.

In 10 years time?

I think you could start implementing it after a couple of years.

11 minutes ago, Hovagod said:

It’s rewarding loyalty starting from the point we became good. It’s a contradiction in terms 

True. But the current system has shut out those who have been the most loyal over the last 10 years of shit (pre-October 2021).

Yeah, but see that’s the point. They haven’t become a start up club at all. They’re Newcastle United as they always have been. It’s one thing embracing our scummy new ownership, it’s quite another to take the ready to go line on the issue. We are not Saudi FC and we were not formed in 2021.

2 minutes ago, Wandy said:

I think you could start implementing it after a couple of years.

But how? Barely anyone would be on more than 3 or 4 points? You’d have people who’d entered 40 ballots and never got chosen.

Just now, Hovagod said:

Eh? How?

People who got tickets off ST holders (who bought the ticket to build up their loyalty points and then passed them on). They are the ones who are now locked out. They went to all the aways but now have nothing to show for it.

3 minutes ago, Hovagod said:

Yeah, but see that’s the point. They haven’t become a start up club at all. They’re Newcastle United as they always have been. It’s one thing embracing our scummy new ownership, it’s quite another to take the ready to go line on the issue. We are not Saudi FC and we were not formed in 2021.

In a way though, we have, like it or not. This is a new NUFC...unrecognisable from the club before it. And I've been going for nearly 40 years, before anyone starts. [emoji38]

3 minutes ago, SteV said:

But how? Barely anyone would be on more than 3 or 4 points? You’d have people who’d entered 40 ballots and never got chosen.

Make them available through the old queue system then.

3 minutes ago, Wandy said:

People who got tickets off ST holders (who bought the ticket to build up their loyalty points and then passed them on). They are the ones who are now locked out. They went to all the aways but now have nothing to show for it.

Yeah, that’s a shame for them. But they must have seen this coming. It seems like a bizarre way of doing things to be honest, I don’t really understand why they didn’t just get a season ticket? Don’t mean to be snidey asking that, but genuinely curious. 

3 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Make them available through the old queue system then.

Or any way that lets you get one? 😂

Joking aside, I appreciate the frustration of someone in your position, been to countless aways in the past, gave up a ST for whatever reason, would likely have it back in a heartbeat but there’s none to get, and now effectively locked out of aways (unless dodging the rules).

But there really isn’t a solution that’s gonna work. You can’t just say to folk that have barely missed a game for however many years, ‘sorry we’re good now, so you’re back in the pot with everyone else’.

The best you can hope for, and something I would advocate, is the transferring of an away ticket to a named member, a limited number of times a season. No loyalty point involved (some would argue the person attending should get the point, I’m not sure, maybe would need to think about that more).

Not ideal, but it would give you a way back in, and the likelihood is if you’re someone who went away regularly, you’ve got a bit of a network of contacts who still have ST’s who you can call upon.

19 minutes ago, Hovagod said:

Yeah, that’s a shame for them. But they must have seen this coming. It seems like a bizarre way of doing things to be honest, I don’t really understand why they didn’t just get a season ticket? Don’t mean to be snidey asking that, but genuinely curious. 

Didn't need to go to the expense I guess. If they have a mate who's happy to pay his however many hundred quid for all the home games, they'll pay for (and go to) all or most of the away games.

I do have sympathy but there is obviously an element of playing the system and that ultimately coming back to bite. Arguments about the effect on the atmosphere aside, that they were working the system is undeniable. 

13 minutes ago, SteV said:

Or any way that lets you get one? 😂

Joking aside, I appreciate the frustration of someone in your position, been to countless aways in the past, gave up a ST for whatever reason, would likely have it back in a heartbeat but there’s none to get, and now effectively locked out of aways (unless dodging the rules).

But there really isn’t a solution that’s gonna work. You can’t just say to folk that have barely missed a game for however many years, ‘sorry we’re good now, so you’re back in the pot with everyone else’.

The best you can hope for, and something I would advocate, is the transferring of an away ticket to a named member, a limited number of times a season. No loyalty point involved (some would argue the person attending should get the point, I’m not sure, maybe would need to think about that more).

Not ideal, but it would give you a way back in, and the likelihood is if you’re someone who went away regularly, you’ve got a bit of a network of contacts who still have ST’s who you can call upon.

Mate, I've not been to an away game for years. But I do recognise the effort of all those who have through all of the shit years, and it doesnt sit right with me that lots of those people now cannot go.

Your ideas aren't the worst I've heard.

12 hours ago, NUFC91 said:

Few points on yesterday from my observation as i was there.

1. Yes it was crap, in all honestly spurs away is never the best, my pals who follow other clubs say the same, same allocation at other grounds will always be louder.

2. Our fans have caused the issue on away ticketing, everyone complained that they couldnt get tickets as people were reselling on. Well the lads buying other tickets got behind the team more than the people getting tickets now and the pricks who buy and don't turn up. 

3. The football fan seems to of changed, less lads getting tickets who would have a drink and get beind the team no matter what, mode fans who want a pic for social media.

4. I actually went to Villa park saturday with one of my customers in hosptality, the atmosphere was really poor, sang at kick went flat. Sang wnen scored then could here a pin drop for rest of game to late on. Same at Spurs yesterday. Football fans are changing it seems.

London away games have been a poorer atmosphere (than say aways in Yorkshire / NW / Midlands ) since the mid 90s in my experience.. plenty of reasons for this but it's true. I think Chelsea will be different. The 2006 FA Cup match at Stamford bridge was one of the best away atmospheres in my experience despite being 1-0 down since the 5th minute.

10 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Mate, I've not been to an away game for years. But I do recognise the effort of all those who have through all of the shit years, and it doesnt sit right with me that lots of those people now cannot go.

Your ideas aren't the worst I've heard.

It doesn't sit right with me that after having a season ticket for 34yrs and having years when Id miss 6 or 7 games away, that people who've never had one had a better  chance for away tickets because they had mates who bought away tickets on their season tickets and families season tickets for every away game.

I'll whisper it now as well, some of them aren't that bothered about the match, it's an away day on the piss and the gear with their mates.

19 minutes ago, madras said:

It doesn't sit right with me that after having a season ticket for 34yrs and having years when Id miss 6 or 7 games away, that people who've never had one had a better  chance for away tickets because they had mates who bought away tickets on their season tickets and families season tickets for every away game.

I'll whisper it now as well, some of them aren't that bothered about the match, it's an away day on the piss and the gear with their mates.

Fair point. I don't know what the answer is then. Except maybe accept that away day atmospheres of old won't be coming back.

1 hour ago, LFEE said:

Too simplistic an argument. Also my question to this is why these lads in several years have neither a ST or 5+points of their own? Don’t even sound the type that would ever sacrifice their ST/Points due to boycotts etc.

Sounds like they’ve had a great run but the rules about not transferring tickets that has always stood for decades has been slightly more enforced.

You both (Wandy) need to aim your anger at corporate/staff allocations if anything at all. Not ST holders with loyalty points.

If the corporate tickets are 500 though that would leave 2500 season ticket holders...enough for good atmosphere. There were alot of lads all other the country who didnt have a seaon ticket but were loud at away games, it wasn't an issue until this season when checks came in. 

I honestly don't know why people keep saying its all corporate when it really isn't

Edited by NUFC91

2 hours ago, Wandy said:

Seen a lot of people complaining about the lack of atmosphere in the away end yesterday. Seems to be a trend occuring whereby the big away days attract the spectator-type of ST holders who sit on their hands at games.

The derby is going to be full of these types, unfortunately, and the Mackems will no doubt be pouring scorn on the lack of noise from the away end. You can just see it coming.

Why ST holders get any kind of preference for away games is a mystery to me. In reality they should reset the loyalty point system to zero and make games available to all members equally.

Would tend to agree with this. I think priority for season ticket holders to go to away games started in the early/mid 90s when the season ticket culture in the UK really started to take off.

I remember when we first got our season tickets back in 1991 there were around 4k ST holders so probably around 20% of the crowd. All your season ticket guaranteed you then was 23 League games and first refusal on our own seat for any home cup games.

Fast forward 3 years to 1994 and around 98% of the home crowd were season ticket holders and we all got extra books sent out with our new season tickets every summer which we'd have to fill in and send off for away tickets. 

Away games don't particularly interest me these days. Been there and done it so it doesn't affect me but they should be looking after a broader spectrum of supporters. Maybe 50% of tickets sold to season ticket holders, 30% to members and 20% general sale.

2 hours ago, Wallsendmag said:

Would tend to agree with this. I think priority for season ticket holders to go to away games started in the early/mid 90s when the season ticket culture in the UK really started to take off.

I remember when we first got our season tickets back in 1991 there were around 4k ST holders so probably around 20% of the crowd. All your season ticket guaranteed you then was 23 League games and first refusal on our own seat for any home cup games.

Fast forward 3 years to 1994 and around 98% of the home crowd were season ticket holders and we all got extra books sent out with our new season tickets every summer which we'd have to fill in and send off for away tickets. 

Away games don't particularly interest me these days. Been there and done it so it doesn't affect me but they should be looking after a broader spectrum of supporters. Maybe 50% of tickets sold to season ticket holders, 30% to members and 20% general sale.

The risk selling them to members and general sale unfortunately is the touting will start and get bigger.

The one thing that can’t be argued is at least the current system no one is getting ripped off.

The problem with away ends is that people who would travel down to every game and be sorted out by the people who run buses, are now not able to be sorted out due to the new rule in place. Going by the lack of armosphere, I can only assume that these were the people who brought a bit of life to the away ends.

Despite this rule, the YouChooba element of the support manage to get tickets. These idiots are more inclined to record themselves and video the match with surgeon like still hands even when we score. There’s more passion in my big toe than there is these doylems. 

Edited by Danh1

I don’t get the arguments about the Spurs game. They only kicked up a fuss when they realised that they couldn’t go to the game. Who do they expect to buy their ticket off them?

Maybe they are just using it as an example, so they can actually argue for buying away tickets on someone else’s ticket, and selling them as part of busses that they run that they can no longer do.

They just need to accept it, they had a good run making money on the side, and now it’s over. Move on.

Also, that Daz Curry lad now saying NUST members don’t go to games, Christ man, he’s spent 2 fucking years saying they have got season tickets given to them by the club. Which is it?

Why does everyone have to be the mega super fan? Why do they have to be a bigger or better fan than the guy sat next to them?

Why have they spent 20 years saying a successful NUFC could get 70k-80k into SJP, but as soon as we look like we might be successful, they want to pull the fucking ladder and play a round of ‘Super fan’? 

33 minutes ago, Stifler said:

I don’t get the arguments about the Spurs game. They only kicked up a fuss when they realised that they couldn’t go to the game. Who do they expect to buy their ticket off them?

Maybe they are just using it as an example, so they can actually argue for buying away tickets on someone else’s ticket, and selling them as part of busses that they run that they can no longer do.

They just need to accept it, they had a good run making money on the side, and now it’s over. Move on.

Also, that Daz Curry lad now saying NUST members don’t go to games, Christ man, he’s spent 2 fucking years saying they have got season tickets given to them by the club. Which is it?

Why does everyone have to be the mega super fan? Why do they have to be a bigger or better fan than the guy sat next to them?

Why have they spent 20 years saying a successful NUFC could get 70k-80k into SJP, but as soon as we look like we might be successful, they want to pull the fucking ladder and play a round of ‘Super fan’? 

This. 

My guess is the atmosphere was, perhaps, a bit flat because... 

a) these self entitled hardcore fans are permanently raging their pals can't get to every game

b) the travel slog for this match

c) said travel slog, perhaps, meaning they couldn't all stand together in their hardcore groups pushing people out of their own seats and, er, 

d) we were shit

Any combo really

😉

17 hours ago, NUFC91 said:

If the corporate tickets are 500 though that would leave 2500 season ticket holders...enough for good atmosphere. There were alot of lads all other the country who didnt have a seaon ticket but were loud at away games, it wasn't an issue until this season when checks came in. 

I honestly don't know why people keep saying its all corporate when it really isn't

People aren’t. At least I am not. It’s obviously a bigger issue than ST holders who’ve went for years with loyalty points built up which seems the alternative view.

The two things that have changed dramatically this season is the corporate/player/staff allocation and the actual results themselves.

I went to more aways last season and wasn’t particularly impressed with the support. No difference to the couple I’ve done this season albeit we’ve won the two domestic ones.

Whoever is going just needs to support the team or be encouraged to rather than being picked on.