NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

24 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

We’ve not signed anyone already on £100k+ so far and I don’t expect us too this summer. 

especially when we don’t have Europe income this season.

The argument for Bowen is he’s a banker. PL experience, done it for years and would be very low risk - as close to guaranteed performance on th pitch as it’s possible to get in a transfer. The first rule of PSR is don’t fuck it up by buying flops, as then you can’t recoup the cost and you get nothing on the pitch.

A Thauvin, Cabella, Luque, Viana style big money disaster signing from abroad could screw the club for years.

On price, West Ham were probably expecting to sell Paqueta this summer, and may need to cash in on Bowen instead, that might make the price more reasonable. I don’t think it’ll be a PSR matter as much as just needing cash.

31 minutes ago, jigen said:

You should buy Cherky. Top talent, young, bargain price (only 1 year of contract left). Or Desire Doué. 

Cherki is a terrible fit for us. Super lazy and zero stamina, athleticism or professionalism; wish people would stop linking us to him. 

6 minutes ago, WilliamPS said:

The argument for Bowen is he’s a banker. PL experience, done it for years and would be very low risk - as close to guaranteed performance on th pitch as it’s possible to get in a transfer. The first rule of PSR is don’t fuck it up by buying flops, as then you can’t recoup the cost and you get nothing on the pitch.

A Thauvin, Cabella, Luque, Viana style big money disaster signing from abroad could screw the club for years.

On price, West Ham were probably expecting to sell Paqueta this summer, and may need to cash in on Bowen instead, that might make the price more reasonable. I don’t think it’ll be a PSR matter as much as just needing cash.

Can't remember how Lopetegui lines up, but there may be some overlap with Kudus and Bowen too perhaps?

Both seem at their best playing on that right side.

12 minutes ago, WilliamPS said:

You'd hope anyone costing you 60 million would be a banker tbf

Cherky. Desire Doué. Bakayoko. Soulé. Zhegrova. Adeyemi. Chiesa...

These (and others) should be yours targets for RW. There are many better deals than Bowen or Elanga. But you should watch abroad and not on the inflated PL market.

Bowen to me would show a shift in transfer policy, already in "peak age" already probably "peak value" and in a financially restricted world it doesnt seem like a logical choice can argue if he is seen as a final piece in a puzzle but you would hope you go for someone under 23 with room to grow as a player and has value still to develop if player trading is needed. 

fwiw I think the RW will be a signing we don’t see coming like the public links to Barella & next day we’ve agreed a deal for Tonali and the public links with Joao Pedro & the next day we’ve signed Isak 

23 minutes ago, Zero said:

That’s basically paying more than we could afford in order to gamble for top 4 finish. So even if we achieved our best possible results, we could just balance the book.

And, if we failed, another fire sale before next June 30.

You sure?

I'm not saying we should pay more than we could afford. I don't know what we can afford or what our budget is. And if we don't finish in the CL qualification places one of our top players will be off next summer regardless of how much we spend this summer.

As per my original post, I was just trying to point out that the decision to pay £20m or so more for Bowen may end up being financially prudent, rather than the opposite, if it makes the difference between qualifying for the Champions League and not.

11 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Cherki is a terrible fit for us. Super lazy and zero stamina, athleticism or professionalism; wish people would stop linking us to him. 

Cherky could be a risk, but he costs 15m. And he has a super natural talent and word class potential and is 22 years old. Better 15m for Cherky than 60 for Bowen. 

1 hour ago, Unbelievable said:

I’d rate them similar. Bakayoko seems more technical, whereas Minteh has more pace. Funny how PSR could make it financially worthwhile to trade one for the other even if it means we pay much more for Bakayoko than we did, or even have received, for Minteh.

This is the thing for me, while I can see that Bowen has more end product, I do think Minteh's pace will give teams more problems in the coming years if he develops like Brighton will be hoping he does.

Definitely a smokescreen imo 

Would take Elanga as a second RW signing to a Mbuemo/Neto etc. But not sure if we'd do this

When all the rumours first kicked off the idea of having Olise and then Minteh as second choice was dreamy 

11 minutes ago, Monkey Alan said:

Sometimes value at the ticket office is nice too. Ginola was a right old fart when we signed him but he entertained us for a while.

With PSR, I feel it's only doable if you're a City / Arsenal. Like if Arsenal went big on a striker or midfielder to try and pip man City to the league, or if Man City got a elite midfielder to try and win the CL more etc, those teams are already earning a fortune and will probably always do well in the CL. 

If we bought Bowen and didn't make CL, we'd only have our PSR increase through our organic grown, sponsors etc

1 hour ago, gdm said:

fwiw I think the RW will be a signing we don’t see coming like the public links to Barella & next day we’ve agreed a deal for Tonali and the public links with Joao Pedro & the next day we’ve signed Isak 

Those aren’t the same. Pedro was actually coming until a last minute change of plan.

Just now, timeEd32 said:

Those aren’t the same. Pedro was actually coming until a last minute change of plan.

Aye.

That Isak signing was rather emotional and fuck God it was. 1 game, 1 injury, we doubled our budget on a signing in a moment.

24 minutes ago, janpawel said:

With PSR, I feel it's only doable if you're a City / Arsenal. Like if Arsenal went big on a striker or midfielder to try and pip man City to the league, or if Man City got a elite midfielder to try and win the CL more etc, those teams are already earning a fortune and will probably always do well in the CL. 

If we bought Bowen and didn't make CL, we'd only have our PSR increase through our organic grown, sponsors etc

Thing is mate. Will Bowen make a big difference in our starting lineup? Will he boost our goals and assists on the right side? Can we expect him to perform right away? I think 20 years of mediocrity under Ashley have messed us up. We need to understand that if we don't make the Champions League in the next two seasons, Bruno, Gordon, and Isak will be snatched up by teams that do.

I get the argument for signing a player with Premier League experience and the financial stuff, but come on, Bowen is a guaranteed star for the next three seasons. He averages a goal or assist every two and a half games for West Ham, and they've been playing in Europe for the past few seasons. If he was our big signing for the season, I'd be over the moon.

What's the temp on Wilson here. Totally content to sit tight with him and cross our fingers we get 27 appearances, and pour everything into RW and CB but curious what others think. Say a Saudi side swoops in and offers 15m would you bite?

I think we're too quick to dismiss him. Arguably the most clinical finisher in the top flight. If he stays (reasonably) fit, our attack, between Isak, Wilson, and Gordon, goes from good to elite. Huge Wilson fan though so I might be a bit rosy eyed from 2 seasons ago.

7 minutes ago, Upthemags said:

What's the temp on Wilson here. Totally content to sit tight with him and cross our fingers we get 27 appearances, and pour everything into RW and CB but curious what others think. Say a Saudi side swoops in and offers 15m would you bite?

I think we're too quick to dismiss him. Arguably the most clinical finisher in the top flight. If he stays (reasonably) fit, our attack, between Isak, Wilson, and Gordon, goes from good to elite. Huge Wilson fan though so I might be a bit rosy eyed from 2 seasons ago.

He's in his final year of contract and we cannot rely on him to be fit when we need him to be, so sell.

1 minute ago, Unbelievable said:

He's in his final year of contract and we cannot rely on him to be fit when we need him to be, so sell.

He's relatively cheap, why not extend him now a year or two? It's a gamble on his health but he had 31 appearances in 22/23. Just seems ill-advised to dump a top 5 striker in the PL when healthy because he had a nagging injury issue last season that was never really allowed to heal by the looks of it (and due to our crisis)

1 minute ago, Upthemags said:

He's relatively cheap, why not extend him now a year or two? It's a gamble on his health but he had 31 appearances in 22/23. Just seems ill-advised to dump a top 5 striker in the PL when healthy because he had a nagging injury issue last season that was never really allowed to heal by the looks of it (and due to our crisis)

If we want to progress as a club we need to sell players before they walk out the door for nothing. It's that simple.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

If we want to progress as a club we need to sell players before they walk out the door for nothing. It's that simple.

I don't think that's true when it means the player walking out the door can't be replaced by someone of equal merit. With Wilson, anyone coming in to replace him, e.g., DCL, is a downgrade in terms of pure footballing ability

Edited by Upthemags