NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

Squad is about the same as last summer, but no Europe so the better players should be more rested in the September to December period where we started to get walloped with injuries. 

Good point. December results, compared to what we expected, really damaged us last year. 

Really the team's almost there, we just need to add real long-term quality now in CB and RW. We probably don't have the budget to do both without sales his window, and we can't offer European football or wages in line with the biggest CL clubs, so getting those top guys in will be hard (Olise would have been perfect).

But, if by the end of the window we've kept all our top players, added a top guy in one of those two positions, got our 3rd choice development striker and a classy looking CB/LB hybrid who can hopefully allow Burn to focus on CB, with a healthier squad, and maybe one or more backups off the book it'll be a pretty solid window.

Last year's window was mainly for this year: Hall, Tino, Tonali [I know he was bought as a CL ready player, but given he probably didn't actually want to leave Milan always felt like he might struggle a bit, gambling issue notwithstanding]. Hopefully we can benefit from that this year.

Also, worst case, suppose we can't get our top guy in now, perhaps then we have a little money in the kitty at the end of the year and can take advantage of the PSR panic. Hopefully with some decent European football to offer.

Just comparing our likely starting 11 this weekend, vs the starting 11 during our last competitive home shows how we're in a better place:

Likely Lineup this weekend:

Starting: Pope; Livramento, Schar, Burn, Hall; Bruno, Joelinton, Longstaff; Gordon, Isak, Murphy

Bench: Dubravka, Kelly, Krafth, Trippier, Willock, Miley, Almiron, Barnes, Osula.

Lineup vs Brighton (h) last season: 

Starting: Dubravka; Livramento, Krafth, Burn, Hall; Longstaff, Bruno, Anderson; Murphy, Isak, Gordon

Bench: Pope, Almiron, Trippier, Joelinton, Barnes, Dummet, Ritchie, White.

3 minutes ago, Menace said:

The same reason people were rating our transfer dealings in september last year?

Do you honestly think you can make a fair judgement on a transfer window before its results have been tested over the course of the season? Obviously there will be exceptions, like during the Ashley era where we were objectively harming the squad... but in cases where we're clearly investing and managing the growth of the squad in a measurable way - how can you make a judgement until it's played out?

8 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Who cares about the two back up keepers though? Totally forgot they existed personally. We are pretty stacked in central midfield with longstaff arguably being the worst, his numbers are obviously greater than Anderson. Minteh is a total unknown at this level if we are being honest with ourselves (I didn’t want to lose him either but here we are). 

I think given Sven’s injury, Dan burns age and Halls youth Kelly is a great pick up and offers much more utility to the squad. 

Orsula looks raw but at least it means we don’t have to run Isak into the ground and risk him getting those knocks again. 

I get you want to be positive but if any of the teams around us had our window we’d be like brilliant they have barely strengthened. 

like I say I think we’ll sign Guehi but I think some people are bending over backwards to convince themselves it’s been a good window (so far) 

when Minteh left all you got in his thread was wait till we see who we get in RW or we’ll sign better anyway and now there’s talk of sticking with Almiron.

I’m not blaming the club I get that it’s majorly difficult not I’m not gonna twist myself up to convince myself it’s been a good window or we are massively better off than last season.

with that being said tho signing Guehi (which I believe we will) would change that massively and hope we can get in a RW

2 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Good point. December results, compared to what we expected, really damaged us last year. 

Think there was definitely a hangover into January/February, too. Players that were having to play twice a week because there no-one to bring them out of the team for were still out. We'd be very unlucky to have another 2-3 month period like that this season. 

8 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Squad is about the same as last summer, but no Europe so the better players should be more rested in the September to December period where we started to get walloped with injuries. 

That’s all good but everyone around us is strengthening. Spurs, Man Utd, Villa & West Ham in particular. Fuck knows what Chelsea are doing. 

7 minutes ago, 54 said:

Just comparing our likely starting 11 this weekend, vs the starting 11 during our last competitive home shows how we're in a better place:

Likely Lineup this weekend:

Starting: Pope; Livramento, Schar, Burn, Hall; Bruno, Joelinton, Longstaff; Gordon, Isak, Murphy

Bench: Dubravka, Kelly, Krafth, Trippier, Willock, Miley, Almiron, Barnes, Osula.

Lineup vs Brighton (h) last season: 

Starting: Dubravka; Livramento, Krafth, Burn, Hall; Longstaff, Bruno, Anderson; Murphy, Isak, Gordon

Bench: Pope, Almiron, Trippier, Joelinton, Barnes, Dummet, Ritchie, White.

blows my mind that getting players back from injury is now being seen as a good transfer window :lol:

6 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

I don’t think people care about making signings like Brighton or Monaco this window, they just want a centre back and right winger that will improve the first team

I want a CB and RW who significantly improve the first team and if they don't significantly improve the first team, I'd rather we didn't bother. 

I don't want the club to tie themselves to players who are only slight improvements on the players in those positions already, causing us the same issues we already have further down the line.

I don't think there's any debate that we should sell Miggy if we can and replace him with genuine quality if we can.

10 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

It's not a downgrade though, he's never been a Newcastle player. Excluding matters like the squad regaining fitness, it's as-you-were when it comes to RW.

We paid his previous club for the right to call him ours, and we paid his wages. He was a Newcastle player and if we didn't have to sell due to PSR there would be every chance we'd be feeling pretty comfortable with our RW options after pre-season. People are happily pointing to the emergence of Jamie Miley and Sanusi as strengthening us. Neither has played a competitive game for us either. Can't have it both ways. I understand selling Minteh was a good deal we had to do and it's easier to accept for fans as there was no emotional attachment yet, but to suggest we didn't lose a player in Minteh is simply wrong. Compared to last season you could say no difference, but then you'd have to say we bought a talented young RW who looked like he could displace our current RW options this transfer window and then proceeded to immediately to sell them for a profit, so far not looking to bring in another RW player to strengthen our weakest position in the starting XI.

6 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Do you honestly think you can make a fair judgement on a transfer window before its results have been tested over the course of the season? Obviously there will be exceptions, like during the Ashley era where we were objectively harming the squad... but in cases where we're clearly investing and managing the growth of the squad in a measurable way - how can you make a judgement until it's played out?

Of course you can - there was a 10 page thread on our transfer dealings last summer and the majority vote was that it was a good window. Why should this be any different? There are key gaps in the squad that have not yet been addressed, so until they are I still don't think its as good as a window as people saying "We have injured players back"

Edited by Menace

1 minute ago, STM said:

I want a CB and RW who significantly improve the first team and if they don't significantly improve the first team, I'd rather we didn't bother. 

I don't want the club to tie themselves to players who are only slight improvements on the players in those positions already, causing us the same issues we already have further down the line.

I don't think there's any debate that we should sell Miggy if we can and replace him with genuine quality if we can.

Hard agree, and if we get Guehi but no RW, that's clearly the club's approach too.

If we'd got Tosin for nowt we'd probably be chasing a Raphinha type at this point. 

1 minute ago, gdm said:

blows my mind that getting players back from injury is now being seen as a good transfer window :lol:

Wouldn't say its seen as a good transfer window but does soften the stance on the club not moving quickly to get shiny new toys in and rather being patient to sign the right purples.

Just now, JP said:

Wouldn't say its seen as a good transfer window but does soften the stance on the club not moving quickly to get shiny new toys in and rather being patient to sign the right purples.

All well and good but injuries or no injuries I’ll take a ‘shiny new toy’ over Almiron starting every single time. 

2 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

We paid his previous club for the right to call him ours, and we paid his wages. He was a Newcastle player and if we didn't have to sell due to PSR there would be every chance we'd be feeling pretty comfortable with our RW options after pre-season. People are happily pointing to the emergence of Jamie Miley and Sanusi as strengthening us. Neither has played a competitive game for us either. Can't have it both ways. I understand selling Minteh was a good deal we had to do and it's easier to accept for fans as there was no emotional attachment yet, but to suggest we didn't lose a player in Minteh is simply wrong. Compared to last season you could say no difference, but then you'd have to say we bought a talented young RW who looked like he could displace our current RW options this transfer window and then proceeded to immediately to sell them for a profit, so far not looking to bring in another RW player to strengthen our weakest position in the starting XI.

If Minteh had stayed, he would have likely been behind Almiron and Murphy in the pecking order for playing time this season. A loan move might have been a better option for him, as it is unlikely that he would have started ahead of our current options.. 

6 minutes ago, gdm said:

Luckily I judge my club on performances on the pitch, rather than transfer windows. :thup:

Thankfully since the ownership change and Howe being manager, our performances on the pitch have far surpassed any expectations I had.