Everton 3-0 Newcastle United (07/12/23)

Mike

On 08/12/2023 at 10:24, The College Dropout said:

Based on that.. if it's primarily physical and mental fatigue.. we are stuffed going forward, right?

L to Spurs, L to Milan to come then?

I think we probably have to accept that this month is going to be rough results-wise, particularly the away games. 

Edited by Smal

3 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Based on that.. if it's primarily physical and mental fatigue.. we are stuffed going forward, right?

L to Spurs, L to Milan to come then?

I've been trying my best to warm to you recently but sticking you on ignore now. Can't read this utter bollocks from you all day again, and it will be all day across every thread. Laters. 

6 minutes ago, Interpolic said:

I've been trying my best to warm to you recently but sticking you on ignore now. Can't read this utter bollocks from you all day again, and it will be all day across every thread. Laters. 

What's wrong? I truly believe that people who just blame last nights performance on fatigue are actually the negative ones, because if that's the case then that pretty much means that we're royally screwed going forward. If fatigue was just a factor, and we just had a pretty bad day at the office on top of it, then we can bounce back.

Edited by Erikse

Just now, Erikse said:

What's wrong? I truly believe that people who just blame last nights performance on fatigue are actually the negative ones, because if that's the case then that pretty much means that we're royally screwed going forward.

Why are you being so ridiculously over-simplistic? 

People falling over themselves to come up with reasons for why we’re inconsistent away and lost last night when we’ve fielded the same team back to back three times without making a single sub, no? With many of those players having either played almost every minute this season when fit. See you lads for Spurs 

8 minutes ago, Interpolic said:

Why are you being so ridiculously over-simplistic? 

I'm being just as simplistic as some of those who blame the loss on fatigue, just to make a point. I myself believe that there is a lot of factors in play, and us not playing as well as we could yesterday is a big one. That's why I think we can bounce back.

Edited by Erikse

42 minutes ago, Erikse said:

If having our 2 latest games with 5 days rest before each game is the biggest reason as to why we had less than half the xG of what Everton had, then ofcourse I'm not positive about the next games where we have 3 days to rest between games. Unless fatigue actually wasn't the biggest factor.

I agree with this, think Howe did also tbh by his post match comments. 

One last thing but fatigue isn’t some linear thing. It’s not just “I had four days before this game, five before that one etc”. It’s a cumulative thing. Gordon must have ran amongst the most yards in the league this season. Isak isn’t fit. Trippier is probably one of the most mentally tired players in the league. Bruno and Jow play every minute they can and also did international football. 

There’s no let up, everyone’s got a higher physical workload and mental load than ever before. We’re going to have more off days because of this but it’s not a case of “we’ve had four days for this one so we’re fucked, six for that one so we’ll be class”

5 minutes ago, gbandit said:

One last thing but fatigue isn’t some linear thing. It’s not just “I had four days before this game, five before that one etc”. It’s a cumulative thing. Gordon must have ran amongst the most yards in the league this season. Isak isn’t fit. Trippier is probably one of the most mentally tired players in the league. Bruno and Jow play every minute they can and also did international football. 

There’s no let up, everyone’s got a higher physical workload and mental load than ever before. We’re going to have more off days because of this but it’s not a case of “we’ve had four days for this one so we’re fucked, six for that one so we’ll be class”

How are we going to be any less tired against Spurs and Milan in the next 6 days? Don't we just lose then? That's the point. If this is all fatigue, then I don't see how we are going to put up a fight in those games at all, and we will be even more tired than yesterday. I'm still waiting for an explanation to that. People seem to not have an answer to that if they resort to personal attacks instead.

Edited by Erikse

1 minute ago, gbandit said:

So it follows that we'll be below par against Spurs and Milan, then? Because it's cumulative, we are taking further tired legs and minds into the next 2 against tough opposition with even less rest.

Just now, Erikse said:

How are we going to be any less tired against Spurs and Milan in the next 6 days? That's the point. If this is all fatigue, then I don't see how we are going to put up a fight in those games. I'm still waiting for an explanation to that. People seem to not have an answer to that if they resort to personal attacks instead.

Did you read my post? Fatigue isn’t linear, we will have very poor games and then very good ones still whilst tired. It’s not the only answer as to why we might lose certain games but it’s a major factor 

Just now, The College Dropout said:

So it follows that we'll be below par against Spurs and Milan, then? Because it's cumulative, we are taking further tired legs and minds into the next 2 against tough opposition with even less rest.

It’s cumulative in that it’s only going to get worse if we can’t rotate but it doesn’t stand that each standalone game will get worse. Just that overall, the trend will be that we are more consistently affected by the fatigue until we can rotate

Just now, The College Dropout said:

Yeah it's a factor but I'm not buying it as the main factor. If we were more clinical yesterday and didn't make some shit defensive mistakes we come away with something and we aren't talking about the fatigue so much. 

2 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Did you read my post? Fatigue isn’t linear, we will have very poor games and then very good ones still whilst tired. It’s not the only answer as to why we might lose certain games but it’s a major factor 

I think that was our point all along. We didn't play as well as we could have, and that was not just down to fatigue.

Edited by Erikse

Just now, Erikse said:

I think that was our point all along. We didn't play as well as we could have, and that was not just down to fatigue.

Like something out of the Alan Pardew or Steve Bruce book of excuses tbh, glad Howe wasn't entertaining it when asked post match. Need to take responsibility for the performance and improve.

Just now, Erikse said:

How are we going to be any less tired against Spurs and Milan in the next 6 days? That's the point. If this is all fatigue, then I don't see how we are going to put up a fight in those games at all, and we will be even more tired than yesterday. I'm still waiting for an explanation to that. People seem to not have an answer to that if they resort to personal attacks instead.

Agreed. What we are both trying to say is that - yes fatigue was a factor yesterday - but it wasn't the only factor and not the deciding factor.

If we are wrong and it is mainly a fatigue thing (both mental and physical) then we are in for a very painful month and we have to acknowledge that from now. I think that's what you're getting at right? Because I can agree on both points.

I think  @Smal  view is fair. If it is fatigue primarily, we'll most likely lose every away game until we get more players back. 

7 minutes ago, Erikse said:

I'm being just as simplistic as some of those who blame the loss on fatigue, just to make a point. I myself believe that there is a lot of factors in play, and us not playing as well as we could yesterday is one of them.

Our results and performances will be up and down while we navigate this pretty much unprecedented situation. Most fans appreciate and understand that. Tiredness is not a simple 1-10 gauge that reduces after every game. Every game is different and places different demands on the players. 

So no, we're not necessarily going to lose every game now because we lost last night. You're being wilfully obtuse here and as a result being unnecessarily harsh on players who have proven time and time again they will give everything for the cause.

We won't be putting in performances like that when we have more players to share the workload, not that I thought the performance last night was apocalyptically bad or anything anyway. Before the Trippier mistake we were looking good for 1-3 points. 

4 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Agreed. What we are both trying to say is that - yes fatigue was a factor yesterday - but it wasn't the only factor and not the deciding factor.

If we are wrong and it is mainly a fatigue thing (both mental and physical) then we are in for a very painful month and we have to acknowledge that from now. I think that's what you're getting at right? Because I can agree on both points.

I think  @Smal  view is fair. If it is fatigue primarily, we'll most likely lose every away game until we get more players back. 

Yes that's what I'm trying to say. And saying that last game was a bad day at the office is (I truly believe that) is also a way of staying positive, because that means we can really bounce back again. So I actually hope that it wasn't mainly down to fatigue.

Edited by Erikse

3 minutes ago, gbandit said:

It’s cumulative in that it’s only going to get worse if we can’t rotate but it doesn’t stand that each standalone game will get worse. Just that overall, the trend will be that we are more consistently affected by the fatigue until we can rotate

We can't rotate. Howe is going to start the same lads again if they are fit against Spurs. Hall isn't going to start. Ritchie isn't going to start. Krafth isn't going to start. He's going to do what he's been doing, picking the best team he can.

We might get 1 or 2 back on the bench for Spurs but that's it.

4 minutes ago, Erikse said:

Aye.

4 minutes ago, Erikse said:

Yes that's what I'm trying to say. And saying that last game was a bad day on the office is (I truly believe that) is also a way of staying positive, because that means we can bounce back.

It was a bad day at the office but I fear there's something more at play, especially with our away performances. We really aren't clinical enough and need to start taking more of our chances we were all over Man United and only managed one goal, could have got sucker punched and ended up with a point. Almirons and Gordon's shooting at times is just poor and we aren't getting enough goals from our midfield 3. It's less forgving away from home especially the longer the game goes on at 0-0.

Edited by WideopenMag

I think it's fair to say the next 2 games are likely going to be a battle for us and we'll do exceptionally well to put together complete performances in such a short turnaround against good quality opposition.

Doesn't mean we can't get positive results perhaps with changed up gameplans and potentially some luck. Spurs are looking brittle and have injuries themselves - could be smash & grab territory for us but I don't think we'll outplay them. Milan is a slightly different kettle as it's at home, crowd adrenaline should be high as it's high stakes, and we may have 1 or 2 back for the bench.

Must be hard for the players during this run because the next game and maintaining a physical level must be on the brain while playing. Likely exacerbated with the CL being a crunch match.

1 minute ago, Erikse said:

Yes that's what I'm trying to say. And saying that last game was a bad day on the office is (I truly believe that) is also a way of staying positive, because that means we can really bounce back again.

Agreed. I think our approach/mentality was wrong and we've done that in all our away games in the PL Sheff U aside. And I think Dyche won the tactical battle.

But those are things Howe can correct. So I'm optimistic.

Howe can't improve the fatigue thing. There's nobody to rotate with. If that's the primary reason we are stuffed as you say.

We could be wrong. And it is fatigue. But if it is fatigue, December is going to be horrible.