Newcastle United 4-4 Luton Town (03/02/24) | Reaction: pg40

Yorkie

Burn has his limitations but he's quite a capable defender as long as we aren't pushing a high line. If he was operating in a Rafa defence of a back 5 for example, would be much harder to get beyond him. If we are going to press high, then I don't think he's the right defender because he will get exposed for pace. I would personally prefer to see Livramento start left back against teams with a known pacy right winger.

On 07/02/2024 at 04:44, The College Dropout said:

Our setup is similar to that Ancelotti Milan side

Pirlo

Gattuso.   Seedorf

Pirlo is the deepest but he's not a DM. Gattuso & Seedorf were athletic and combative player that mitigated Pirlo's lack of athleticism. Similar happened at Juve with Pirlo, Marchiso, Vidal setup.

Those teams played with a 10 and we don't but I think there are parallels.

Saw your earlier post, i think Tonali is best suited to drop into central and rotate as needed throughout the match with Bruno as he's got the experience playingh deeper in either a 2-man double pivot, a lone DM (though that's not his best position of course) and a right and left sided 8 >>> versus any of our other midfielders. But ya, he's actually very strong and very quick, and technically swtiched on more than all of them outside of Bruno.  I think if fully fit you'd see Joelinton or Willock on the left and often times seeing Bruno/Tonali do their rotation thing and sometimes even both drop in as a double pivot and allow the LCM to be more of a 10/winger/attacker to overload. 

Edited by Kanji

3 hours ago, Kanji said:

Saw your earlier post, i think Tonali is best suited to drop into central and rotate as needed throughout the match with Bruno as he's got the experience playingh deeper in either a 2-man double pivot, a lone DM (though that's not his best position of course) and a right and left sided 8 >>> versus any of our other midfielders. But ya, he's actually very strong and very quick, and technically swtiched on more than all of them outside of Bruno.  I think if fully fit you'd see Joelinton or Willock on the left and often times seeing Bruno/Tonali do their rotation thing and sometimes even both drop in as a double pivot and allow the LCM to be more of a 10/winger/attacker to overload. 

I’ve seen no evidence that they will rotate on that RCM. Bruno will continue to maraud when he feels like it from the deep role and Tonali and the other CMs will have to cover for him when he does. Only really Longstaff covers for him regularly.

51 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I’ve seen no evidence that they will rotate on that RCM. Bruno will continue to maraud when he feels like it from the deep role and Tonali and the other CMs will have to cover for him when he does. Only really Longstaff covers for him regularly.

It happened at home v Villa dude; and then it really didn't happen again. But it was said over and over and over that eventually that was supposed to happen with them when they got in-sync. 

10 minutes ago, Kanji said:

It happened at home v Villa dude; and then it really didn't happen again. But it was said over and over and over that eventually that was supposed to happen with them when they got in-sync. 

From what I saw it was Tonali RCM Bruno CM. 

Ah, you. Sometimes, man....

Yes, Bruno predominately played CM but Tonali was coming central at times and breaking up play, hell even doing that on the left side. He was allowing Bruno to go up a bit further (and Tonali was even central and drifting left side to combine with Joelinton and Barnes too) playing like bruno's free role. 

10 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

From what I saw it was Tonali RCM Bruno CM. 

As we did with Bruno when he eventually got in the side to get him acclimatised. 

24 minutes ago, madras said:

As we did with Bruno when he eventually got in the side to get him acclimatised. 

I'm not saying that's not the plan. There's just no evidence for it.

And Bruno is closer to profile to Shelvey the previous deepest CM (passer, not athletic) than he is to Tonali. Likewise, Tonali is close profile-wise to Longstaff. Strong, hard-running, engine etc. I think his crossing skill will be useful if we start phasing out Trippier for Livra.