Silly season in full flow - Joey Barton

Nicky

Guest POWNATS

Your right but I think players like Barton think they are bigger than the club. I would love to be proved wrong but look at bellamy great player but wouldn't have him back in a million years.

always find it interesting when people have that stance on that one...

however i have much more loyalty to someone (Bellamy) who actually did something really good for this football club and contributed hugely to the high times rather then someone who didn't and ruined it (Souness).

i will never share Souness opinion on this one i am afraid.

Total agree, Bellamy made a huge difference to Newcastle performances but he was an awkward bugger

We struggled when he was injured

Crouch or Bellamy, id have Bellamy every time

Dont think his freindship with Robbie Savage helped, even bigger idiot

selling Emre would be stupid, imo.. he's been a victim of Roeder's tactical genius, but is a world class player and always willing to give his all..

Barton is also very capable and would be more suited to our style of play at the moment, but i still would prefer Emre in the long run.

If Emre is off (as Hargreaves move to manure looks stronger everyday the window approaches) to Bayern for around £7-8m, then Barton at £5.5m is a good replacement.

I reckon he'll get us more goals and could possibly bring out the best in Parker, maybe.

Parker certainly needs someone else alongside him, Emre just doesn't work, and even though Parker has his faults, i'd rather keep him than our little Turk.

Hargreaves to Manu - £12m

Emre to Bayern - £8m

Barton to Newcastle - £5.5m

Transfer merry-go-round, but its the only way we will bid for Barton.

Aye -The Mirror- is going for the same theme/exclusive Joey Barton IN Emre OUT... http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/tm_headline=joey-bartoon-%26method=full%26objectid=18351137%26siteid=94762-name_page.html

both the big tabloids going for the same story i have to say i would be surprised if it happens however the prospect of Joey Barton and Scotty Parker tougher would be fantastic in my opinion.

Joey Barton has 5 goals already this season and got 7 goals last season and has 1070 passes this season according to OPTA STATS the third highest amount of passes in the Premiership behind Xaxi Alonso and Fabregas personally i think Joey Barton is very under rated.

Part finance?

Fuk that. We shouldn't be paying more money for Barton than Emre, that would be just fuking stupid. £7m minimum, people want Emre, we sell for cheap just to get Barton in and were mugs.

£55,000? Fuk off, what do they put in the water in Manchester to make the people think they are actually better than what they are? Distin, SWP & M. Richards all share the same brain cell tbh.

£55,000? Fuk off, what do they put in the water in Manchester to make the people think they are actually better than what they are? Distin, SWP & M. Richards all share the same brain cell tbh.

Barton and Distin share something but its not a brain cell...its Willie McKay...

Barton and Distin share something but its not a brain cell...its Willie McKay...

Ah.

Him again.  :roll:

The mirrors wording makes it seem like a done deal...  They were first with the Duff story too,  if I remember correctly.

I can only see this being worthwhile if there is something lined up with Emre leaving,  otherwise its just a pure waste of resources,  and goes against what Glenns said.

Guest Anders Rye

Emre is alwayse injured, and plays incosistent, his corners are very weak and free kicks as well, Barton also takes corners ans has a more physical apearence than Emre, so this swop would be very welcomed!

Scott Parker holding and Joey Barton bombing on would be very effective in my opinion.

if the rumors about Emre are true that Bayern Munich want him for around £8 million then i would cash in and buy Joey Barton for £6 million and have the holding options of Parker and Butt and bombing on options of Dyer and Barton.

however January is not the time for this...

i think Roeder will concentrate on bringing in players in positions we need like Defense and a Striker and not Joey Barton in January.

Here we go again.

What on earth makes people think Parker can play the holding role he is continually touted for?

I don't think Barton is that good, but I'd swap him for Parker in the blink of an eye.

Less than 8 days ago Barton said he wasn't going anywhere.

He said: "I am very happy here at City and have absolutely no desire or intention to leave. I want to concentrate on playing for this football club and am very positive about the future.

"I trust this is the end of the matter and we can get on with preparing for the Christmas period of games."

Source

I don't go for this baseless speculation shite. Everyone is interested in him according to one paper or another (Including Arsenal(!) and them(!!!)). Unless something actually happens I don't think there is much to talk about.

I don't know... what could be more fun than endless speculation to talk and argue about? Oh..

Scott Parker holding and Joey Barton bombing on would be very effective in my opinion.

if the rumors about Emre are true that Bayern Munich want him for around £8 million then i would cash in and buy Joey Barton for £6 million and have the holding options of Parker and Butt and bombing on options of Dyer and Barton.

i think Roeder will concentrate on bringing in players in positions we need like Defense and a Striker and not Joey Barton in January.

Here we go again.

What on earth makes people think Parker can play the holding role he is continually touted for?

I don't think Barton is that good, but I'd swap him for Parker in the blink of an eye.

the same Scott Parker then was our player of the season under Souness in the holding role.

however i have seen your posts before about our Captain and there is no point debating Scott Parker pro's and con's with somebody who thinks Scott Parker contributes nothing to our team.

Here we go again.

the same Scott Parker then was our player of the season under Souness in the holding role.

however i have seen your posts before about our Captain and there is no point debating Scott Parker pro's and con's with somebody who thinks Scott Parker contributes nothing to our team.

:thup:

Guest nufc 4 life

Barton would be a great player for this club. He is young, he fights for everything, he's full of heart and always gives his all, he is physically dominant and could boss the centre of midfield,so he showed his arse big fookin deal like i said he is young and will grow out of that sort of thing soon enough. If we were to get rid of Emre and bring in Barton i would be very very happy the perfomances he has pulled out for man city of late have been nothing short of brilliant, other than the stupid sending off.

And another thing what is all the slagging off against Parker he is another player who gives is all and is technically gifted also he can play the long pass he can shoot and he is the leader of the team he keeps the team running and he did that even before he was made captain.

Parker and Barton in the middle of the park with milner on the right duff or n'zogbia on the left = SUCCESS

Physical dominance in the middle and spped and good crosses on the flanks the through balls to martins and sibierski should be spot on and it would be a brilliant midfield.

Bring on Joey Barton

Denied!

I know what is expected

Dec 30 2006

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

Glenn Roeder has admitted he is "under real pressure" to find new players in the transfer window for Newcastle United.

However, even though United are probably experiencing the worst injury crisis in their history and have a paper-thin squad, Roeder insists: "I will not be signing players just for the sake of signing them."

Roeder knows the big - if not the only - question the United supporters are asking these days is just who he is going to bring in during the January transfer window.

However, reports coming out of David Moyes' Press conference at Everton yesterday that United were ready to bid £5.5m for Manchester City's Joey Barton are simply not true.

But Roeder told me today: "It is not just the fans asking about this. Senior players in our squad like Scott Parker, Shay Given and Michael Owen will be looking carefully at which players I am going to sign.

"It is really judgement day for me. It will put me under more pressure, but I have always been careful in spending other people's money.

"I have only bought two players in Oba Martins and Damien Duff and we went through the thought process with both of them.

"Even though Antoine Sibierski was an 11th-hour signing we made a lot of phone calls in that hour checking out his character and things like that.

"Now we have the opportunity to sign more players in January and I can tell our fans we are looking for quality and not quantity.

"There are plenty of players out there whom we could sign but who would not improve our team and with whom we would then find ourselves lumbered.

"So I will not be buying players who will drag us down but players who will help us move forward."

Roeder and chairman Freddy Shepherd should be given credit for not only disposing of players like Jean Alain Boumsong and Amady Faye, who were not good enough for United, but for banking £5m in the process.

Roeder cannot afford to let any players go next month, but if he had Shay Given and Steve Harper fit it would make sense to let teenage goalkeeper Tim Krul go on loan to a Championship club.

The United boss would also be prepared to release £10m forward Albert Luque but, despite all the talk, no-one has yet come in for the Spanish international.

Newcastle's best hope on the Luque front is for the player to return to Spain on loan next month with a view to a permanent transfer in the close season.

Guest Ridzuan

I thought Joey Barton would be a great addition to our squad though another midfield is the least of our priority at the moment.If Emre does leave the club in January,which Im sure wont happen,then we should go for Barton.Other than that,we dont really need him.

Guest thompers

Roeder and chairman Freddy Shepherd should be given credit for not only disposing of players like Jean Alain Boumsong and Amady Faye, who were not good enough for United, but for banking £5m in the process.

Alan 'NE5' Oliver? Fuck off?

Guest Darth Toon

Here we go again.

Agreed. Also, Mourinho is on record as saying he viewed Parker as potential successor to Makelele in that role for Chelsea, and he knows a thing or two about football.

Not sure about the Barton thing - probalby a better long-term option than Emre, but I wouldn't be actively pursuing him unless Emre is definitely set on leaving, which I think he would be if Bayern come calling.

Guest thompers

As he would be for any team fighting for dear life in games and always on the back foot. If we want to play like that all the time, great, Scott will fit right in.

However, if we want to put teams under pressure then he's not the right type of player.

As he would be for any team fighting for dear life in games and always on the back foot. If we want to play like that all the time, great, Scott will fit right in.

However, if we want to put teams under pressure then he's not the right type of player.

I disagree i think Scott Parker can also play as a box to box player and press high up the pitch and be effective.

however why Roeder has been using Parker in that role when Emre has been alongside him i find strange the balance simply is not right, somebody else posted about this the other day (see Quote below) Emre is a more effective and better player when played in a attacking central midfielder role and has a holder next to him thats why he has been fantastic since Butt has been in the team, Glen needs to play Parker in the holding role where he got player of the season under Souness in and Emre attacking central midfield where he has been playing since Butt return to the side.

here is a better way of explaining it...

The problem with Parker is that his manager can't seem to make his mind up what to do with him.

Creatively Emre is the better player but when they play together Emre is sitting deeper trying to play a disciplined game while Parker gets forward and tries to create. It's ridiculous. I remember Roeder saying something a while back about Parker getting forward with Emre sitting back and I couldn't believe it. It's a total misuse of both players' skills and they both look worse for it.

Butt has come in and Emre has been playing a lot better. This isn't because Butt is good or because Parker is poor, it's simply that Emre has been given the creative freedom he should always have had, while Butt has enjoyed playing his own defensive game. Butt as we all know is a DM and this has forced Roeder to play Emre a bit further upfield. Someone mentioned in another thread that Roeder has been successful when decisions have been forced on him and this is another example of that.

Emre shouldn't be anchoring the midfield while Parker goes wandering - that's mad. As soon as Butt came in we had a DM doing the defensive work and an AM doing the attacking work, and guess what - we look much more balanced.

Guest nufc 4 life

I disagree i think Scott Parker can also play as a box to box player and press high up the pitch and be effective.

however why Roeder has been using Parker in that role when Emre has been alongside him i find strange the balance simply is not right, somebody else posted about this the other day Emre is a more effective and better player when played in a attacking central midfielder role and has a holder next to him thats why he has been fantastic since Butt has been in the team, Glen needs to play Parker in the holding role where he got player of the season under Souness in and Emre attacking central midfield where he has been playing since Butt return to the side.

agreed v good point

Guest thompers

however why Roeder has been using Parker in that role when Emre has been alongside him i find strange the balance simply is not right, somebody else posted about this the other day Emre is a more effective and better player when played in a attacking central midfielder role and has a holder next to him thats why he has been fantastic since Butt has been in the team, Glen needs to play Parker in the holding role where he got player of the season under Souness in and Emre attacking central midfield where he has been playing since Butt return to the side.

Parker won the player of the season for his defensive work in that role, as we were a team constantly under attack from the opposition. He's shown, now that we're playing better football and actually putting teams under pressure, that he doesn't have the brain to distribute the ball quickly enough from that position and help put teams under pressure, which is part of that role. Tackling and work rate aren't good enough attributes to warrant a place in the team.

Guest thompers
The problem with Parker is that his manager can't seem to make his mind up what to do with him.

The manager has this problem because Parker doesn't excel in any of the midfield positions. If he did, it would be a no brainer for Roeder. Instead he's stuck with a player that he's made captain and he's still trying to shift him around the midfield to try and get the best out of him, and its clearly proving difficult.

Parker won the player of the season for his defensive work in that role, as we were a team constantly under attack from the opposition. He's shown, now that we're playing better football and actually putting teams under pressure, that he doesn't have the brain to distribute the ball quickly enough from that position and help put teams under pressure, which is part of that role. Tackling and work rate aren't good enough attributes to warrant a place in the team.

Aye still think Parker can be a effective box to box central midfielder too i mean he has 4 goals this season and 3 assists in that role however it seems we both agree he is a better holding central midfielder and that is the position Roeder should play him if Emre is to be his partner and if we are to get the better out of both no?

Guest thompers

With the right coaching and use of the old "the ball's a hot potato" training strategy he could probably become a decent holding player. I think the thick cockney git thinks that "holding role" means hold the ball, forever!