Marc Guehi

gdm

26 minutes ago, black_n_white said:

Would people be happier to sign Gomez for 40 million or Guehi for 70?

Gomez is worries me for being injury prone. Not sure if I'm merited in saying that without checking.

Just now, Lush Vlad said:

You. Are. Not. Paying. Best. Player. In. The. World. Money. 

So no. I’m not missing the point. 

How many CB’s have been sold for more than £70M?

10 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

Out of curiosity, which “best CB in the world” do you envisage us being able to attract?

how about just find other prospects that could become one of the best CB in a few years, like Botman, like what the other club did? Saliba just cost 27m FFS

I really can’t get over it. I don’t expect you to say “ah no we can’t attract one of the best CB in the world, so just spend 70m+, breaking our record, on a defender that looks good”

It’s 70m pounds FFS. We aren’t Man City. In fact even Man City’s CB didn’t cost that much. Dias, the most expensive one, cost 71m euro. 

2 minutes ago, Toon1892 said:

I think you’re missing the point.

The guys point is if you’re paying best player in the world money. The player you’re signing should be one of the best players in the world.

He isn’t saying the biggest transfer fees in the world are the best players in the world. If anything you’re proving his point at how many high transfer fee failures there have been.

He’s terrible in the air, can’t show a player down the wing and easily switches off. I’d avoid.

It’s not best centre half in the world money though, it’s less than Maguire went for years ago, it’s less than Chelsea paid Leicester for Wesley Fofana again several years ago, ffs Man Utd have paid similar money for an 18 year old centre half with very limited games this very season

3 minutes ago, Toon1892 said:

How many CB’s have been sold for more than £70M?

No idea. Maguire and VVD off the top of my head. Do we actually know we are spending £70m, anyway?

What would the best CB’s in world football be worth? 

Also. Transfer fees get inflated every single season. Should the question not be what would previous fees be today, adjusted for inflation/today’s market? 

I’d imagine there would be a reasonably long list. 

2 minutes ago, Zero said:

how about just find other prospects that could become one of the best CB in a few years, like Botman, like what the other club did? Saliba just cost 27m FFS

I really can’t get over it. I don’t expect you to say “ah no we can’t attract one of the best CB in the world, so just spend 70m+, breaking our record, on a defender that looks good”

It’s 70m pounds FFS. We aren’t Man City. In fact even Man City’s CB didn’t cost that much. Dias, the most expensive one, cost 71m euro. 

We’re fucking massive. Just enjoy it.

:indi:

2 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

No idea. Maguire and VVD off the top of my head. Do we actually know we are spending £70m, anyway?

What would the best CB’s in world football be worth? 

Also. Transfer fees get inflated every single season. Should the question not be what would previous fees be today, adjusted for inflation/today’s market? 

I’d imagine there would be a reasonably long list. 

Not that many. The highest transfer fee this whole summer is £65m.

Other than Brighton clubs have spent less this summer than the last few windows. PSR/FFP will cause transfer fees to drop as we are seeing now.

I honestly don’t think the list would be that long. Arsenal have just signed one of the best defenders in Europe for £37M.

7 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Ok. From whenever I’ve seen him. He’s quick, very strong and aggressive into the tackle, extremely comfortable on the ball, great recovery pace for either his error or another player’s and ability to sweep. I also think he will continue to improve as a player. As he is 24 and has his peak years ahead of him at the position. So that needs to be factored in. 

Not good today and

not great in the air, I don’t think anyone is disputing that. 

Try and read posts properly next time. I said ‘in today’s market’. Why are you comparing past transfer fees from years gone by and ignoring inflation and the fact players go for more and more every single season. 

I suppose Enzo Fernandez and Caicedo are the best centre mids in the world as they cost £120m apiece?

Now I got a genuine question. Those strength you mentioned are correct, I did observe it in todays game. But why would that fit in our system? What you describe looks like a great LCB or RCB in a 3 centre back formation - just like Palace or Southgate’s national team. Howe didn’t use 343 or 3421 often. 

Did he ever look good in a 2 CB formation? Not good in air - I think at the very least he would be better than Schar so fine.

I won’t reply the rest. You completely got it wrong. I was saying we, Newcastle, under the PSR limitation, is fucking idiotic to spend all our budget on someone that is close to the finish article but not dominating the league like VVD @ Soton, and doesn’t look like transforming our whole team like what VVD did. So we should revert back to our original way to be patient and find and develop another Botman. Ok?

7 minutes ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

It’s not best centre half in the world money though, it’s less than Maguire went for years ago, it’s less than Chelsea paid Leicester for Wesley Fofana again several years ago, ffs Man Utd have paid similar money for an 18 year old centre half with very limited games this very season

Similar money? Just the 30% less for a player with a far greater ceiling.

14 minutes ago, B-more Mag said:

[emoji38] Kind of hope this drags out to deadline day so we can see just exactly how insane people will go. 

Could easy get to 250 pages on this thread 

5 minutes ago, Toon1892 said:

Other than Brighton clubs have spent less this summer than the last few windows. PSR/FFP will cause transfer fees to drop as we are seeing now.

I honestly don’t think the list would be that long. Arsenal have just signed one of the best defenders in Europe for £37M.

I am talking about if a player that cost £40-50-60m or whatever x amount of years ago. If you adjust that for inflation. Then you would have a lot of players coming up over £70m. 

Not really sure what is so hard to understand about that. But you and Zero seem to completely miss this point or just deliberately talking about something else. 

So on that. I’ll bow out. As it’s giving me a headache typing out the same shit over and over again. 

7 minutes ago, Zero said:

Now I got a genuine question. Those strength you mentioned are correct, I did observe it in todays game. But why would that fit in our system? What you describe looks like a great LCB or RCB in a 3 centre back formation - just like Palace or Southgate’s national team. Howe didn’t use 343 or 3421 often. 

Did he ever look good in a 2 CB formation? Not good in air - I think at the very least he would be better than Schar so fine.

I won’t reply the rest. You completely got it wrong. I was saying we, Newcastle, under the PSR limitation, is fucking idiotic to spend all our budget on someone that is close to the finish article but not dominating the league like VVD @ Soton, and doesn’t look like transforming our whole team like what VVD did. So we should revert back to our original way to be patient and find and develop another Botman. Ok?

Seeing as you seem to love a scouting report. Please provide reports on players as good or better and for less money. Please also explain how they’ll fit into Howe’s system. 

Could send it all to the club. Tell them their scouting network is shit and we’re wasting our money on Guehi. 

2 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

I am talking about if a player that cost £40-50-60m or whatever x amount of years ago. If you adjust that for inflation. Then you would have a lot of players coming up over £70m. 

Not really sure what is so hard to understand about that. But you and Zero seem to completely miss this point or just deliberately talking about something else. 

So on that. I’ll bow out. As it’s giving me a headache typing out the same shit over and over again. 

Ok, I’ll sit back and wait for all these £100M CB’s that will be bought/ sold.

I don’t think there’ll be many…

Just now, Lush Vlad said:

Seeing as you seem to love a scouting report. Please provide reports on players as good or better and for less money. Please also explain how they’ll fit into Howe’s system. 

Could send it all to the club. Tell them their scouting network is shit and we’re wasting our money on Guehi. 

Calafiori?

8 minutes ago, Zero said:

Between this and Minteh, are you ok? You just want to pick a bloody fight over this topic every day?

14 minutes ago, Toon1892 said:

Excuse me, you’re now claiming Califiori is one of the best defenders in Europe? He’s had a great 12 months but there is far more for him to prove in this league, system etc. 

13 minutes ago, Toon1892 said:

Similar money? Just the 30% less for a player with a far greater ceiling.

£58M is 70% of £65 m now is it? And how the fuck can you honestly tell the "ceiling" of an 18 year old who hasn’t actually played much men’s football?

Honestly you’d think some on here had decades of experience working in football analytics they way they speak with such utter authority. 

Take the Saliba for £27M example used earlier, he was bought for that in 2019 (so adjust for football inflation for a start), then had to go back on loan to France for a season before becoming an Arsenal regular in 2022/23, can we afford to spend £30m+ for someone who might be a first team player in 2028?

We might not like it, but after missing out on Tosin, we are going to have to pay a premium to get a PL proven ready centre half in Guehi now

Edited by Ghandis Flip-Flop

2 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Between this and Minteh, are you ok? You just want to pick a bloody fight over this topic every day?

how about try to imagine the reaction here if today is Guehi first game for us after the 70m move? I guarantee it would be hundred times worse than this

Just now, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

£58M is 70% of £65 m now is it? And how the fuck can you honestly tell the "ceiling" of an 18 year old who hasn’t actually played much men’s football?

Honestly you’d think some on here had decades of experience working in football analytics they way they speak with such utter authority. 

Take the Saliba for £27M example used earlier, he was bought for that in 2019 (so adjust for football inflation for a start), then had to go back on loan to France for a season before becoming an Arsenal regular in 2022/23, can we afford to spend £30m+ for someone who might be a first team player in 2028?

We might not like it, but after missing out on Tosin, why we are going to have to pay a premium to get a PL proven ready centre half in Guehi now

Tosin sat on the bench today too :lol: 

Just now, Zero said:

how about try to imagine the reaction here if today is Guehi first game for us after the 70m move? I guarantee it would be hundred times worse than this

It wouldn’t, and those who would be up in arms are the same ones over and over and over again. The ones freak over nothing. Funny enough, seems like a lot of the English players from the euros are having a bit of a rough go of match day 1.