Players that were actually decent for us that are totally forgotten

gjohnson

19 hours ago, The Fountain said:

Paul Goddard, 7 goals in 7 games towards the back end of the 86/87 season saved us from relegation 

Good player eas Paul not quick but struck the ball powerfully...nice shout.

From my Fairs Cup era Preben Arentoft always put in solid performances.

32 minutes ago, Terrymac1966 said:

Hell I dont even remember this guy...what year please?

1965 signed from Shef United as for the unbeaten run I may be mixing up with Benny Arentoft 

1_Newcastle-v-Fulham-7th-May-1966.webp

Edited by Choppy Chop Chop
Image Pop Robson and John McGrath in action for Newcastle United against Fulham at St James' Park, May 7, 1966. Also in the photograph, background right, is United midfielder Keith Kettleborough (Image: Mirrorpix)

The one player I hope doesn’t get mentioned in this thread is Vurnon Anita.  I never EVER saw anything from this man and I don’t want his to have some sort of cult like status at the club he absolutely does not deserve. 

Murphy on the other hand will be a contender in a few years. Overpayed - yes, underperformed - yes but as the years ticked on, Murphy become a solid backup player and his efforts will not be forgotten. Hopefully he can continue on next season. 

Hayden. Fighter on the pitch, left it all out there. Fill in multiple positions. Limited, yes but did what he could with what he had and what he had around him. Wish him well. 

1 minute ago, GEFAFWISP said:

Vurnon Anita

I know youre trolling but based of what? We were promised an N’Golo Kante, what we got was a… I have no idea what he did. Zero. even Colback outperformed him. Check the stats. 

Papavasiliou. Played at the start of the great Entertainers season and must have been okay, never heard any suggestions otherwise, then just disappeared.

Steve Guppy, looked the part in that friendly v Man United and guess was okay in the few minutes he got in the season.

10 minutes ago, Astroblack said:

I know youre trolling but based of what? We were promised an N’Golo Kante, what we got was a… I have no idea what he did. Zero. even Colback outperformed him. Check the stats. 

Kante wasn't a thing when we signed btw.

Edited by GEFAFWISP

8 minutes ago, GEFAFWISP said:

Kante wasn't a thing when we signed btw.

If you were on the forums, he was promised to be the start of the attacks, the man to take the ball off the defense, spray a pass to a player in an influential area and then win the ball back when we were under the cosh. He never did any of those. He was lost out there. 5.6 mil. Didn’t “mr press resistant technical footballer” lose the ball and end up costing us the game against Chelsea 2012-13. He didn’t have it. He never did. 

1 minute ago, GEFAFWISP said:

Yeah but he was dummy thicc.

So he was dumb and wasn’t equipped for the Premier League? Case closed. Anita - shit. Glad that one’s gone to rest. 

Can’t remember Anita doing anything apart from scoring v City and passing it straight to West Ham’s keeper when him and Cisse were clean through on goal. 

42 minutes ago, Astroblack said:

Nobody knew of Kante when he arrived. He walked so N'Golo could run.

Bet his arch was crazy.