***The Quote-tastic thread***

Guest smoggeordie

What do you think of Arsenal winning stuff despite spending less?

probably the same as all the clubs we have overtaken and qualified more for europe than, since 1992, think of us

That they've done it by employing a good managerial and youth set up, instead of just throwing money at the problem and hoping for the best?

I doubt many of the clubs we have overtaken and qualified more for europe than, since 1992, think that of us.

Wenger is a genius and an inspired appointment, like Keegan was for us. What about the other 90 teams - how many of those have done better than us by appointing a good managerial and youth setup ?

Not many other teams want to go £87 million in debt for regular European football and zero trophies.

oh well, we had better start selling our best players again then, then you will have your wish.

We might win the 2nd division again.

And if you can't see the connection between money spent and expectations then why don't you ring Abramovich up and ask him if he'll be happy with being 5th best over the next decade. In fact, ask him if he'd settle for being 2nd best. I'm sure he'd consider that failure.

Aye mate, and who will be responsible for that failure should it happen? Abramovich for backing Mourinho or Mourinho for not getting it right? Or is it just one of those things where there are so few trophies and no matter what happens you always need a bit of luck?

Abramovich wouldn't be to blame whatever happened, Peter Kenyon would.

Oh right.

He's the one who appointed Maurinho and runs the day to day sie of the football club, Abramovich just own's the club.

It would be similar to blaming SJH for the mess we're in now because he's the major shareholder.

Bollocks.

Mourinho was appointed by Abramovich.

Abramovich knows nothing about football, he'll even admit that himself.

He employed Kenyon to run the club and he picked Mourinho.

What about Shevchenko?

Kenyon is clearly left to do the dirty work at the club and the boring stuff. Abramovich gets left with the good stuff like identifying managers and then suggesting(?) players to sign. If Abramovich had as little say as you imply, why did he even buy the club? To sit and do nothing whilst someone else does it all but blow loads of cash? I doubt it.

Arnasen (sp?) runs the football side of it now, Kenyon the business side.

Arnesen picks the targets with Maurinho, similar to how Comolli picks them with Jol at Spurs, Shevchenko is there because he's a personal friend of Abramovich, a one off signing because of their friendship.

Chelsea aim to become the biggest club in the World in the future, there spending on players was just to get them up and running, it won't last forever.

And what does Abramovich get out of the deal, if he doesn't have a say on anything at the club?

He gets to own the biggest football club in the World if the plan that they've made comes off, I imagine they'll be worth a fair bit more than what he's invested already, Chelsea is an investment to him although he does come across as a fan of the club now.

he will NEVER get his money back

How can you be so sure?

Well, he might if someone comes along and offers it, but its unlikely. Chelsea simply aren't as big a club to be self sufficient like manure, us or even Arsenal in fact who are Londons biggest club. The day he or someone else stops bankrolling them they are finished and unsustainable at the level they are operating, so who would bid such a colossal amount of money for them ?

He gets to own the biggest football club in the World if the plan that they've made comes off, I imagine they'll be worth a fair bit more than what he's invested already, Chelsea is an investment to him although he does come across as a fan of the club now.

How can you be so sure?

Well, he might if someone comes along and offers it, but its unlikely. Chelsea simply aren't as big a club to be self sufficient like manure, us or even Arsenal in fact who are Londons biggest club. The day he or someone else stops bankrolling them they are finished and unsustainable at the level they are operating, so who would bid such a colossal amount of money for them ?

There long term aim is to be self sufficient, when the list was released last year of the 'world's richest football club in terms of income' Chelsea came in in 5th earning £149.1 million, now considering their spending on players won't last like it has been forever then there will come a time when they start making massive profits.

I don't doubt Arsenal are a better supported club in this country but in the near future Chelsea will have a bigger fan base World wide, they already have a larger income than Arsenal (33.4 million more to be exact) which is down to them gaining better sponsorship deals etc, you also have to remember there football pitch is on one of the most valuable building plots in the country.

Within 3 years I can see them overtaking Man Utd in terms of income.

How can you be so sure?

There long term aim is to be self sufficient, when the list was released last year of the 'world's richest football club in terms of income' Chelsea came in in 5th earning £149.1 million, now considering their spending on players won't last like it has been forever then there will come a time when they start making massive profits.

I don't doubt Arsenal are a better supported club in this country but in the near future Chelsea will have a bigger fan base World wide, they already have a larger income than Arsenal (33.4 million more to be exact) which is down to them gaining better sponsorship deals etc, you also have to remember there football pitch is on one of the most valuable building plots in the country.

that is correct, which is probably why he chose Chelsea.

The figures are interesting, I didn't know those figures. If they are true then I suppose that is his goal, to gain and beat the worldwide following that manu have. Difficult to believe they could do it in such a short time, manure have built up their following since 1958 although if they keep on winning - however they do it - their fanbase will undoubtedly continue to grow.

Bastards. Looks like our chance of winning the league in 1996 is the last we will get unless we can find someone like him  :winking:

How can you be so sure?

that is correct, which is probably why he chose Chelsea.

The figures are interesting, I didn't know those figures. If they are true then I suppose that is his goal, to gain and beat the worldwide following that manu have. Difficult to believe they could do it in such a short time, manure have built up their following since 1958 although if they keep on winning - however they do it - their fanbase will undoubtedly continue to grow.

Bastards. Looks like our chance of winning the league in 1996 is the last we will get unless we can find someone like him  :winking:

Here's the link if you're interested - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4716174.stm

Chelsea still made a loss of something like £140 million but a lot of that includes buying them out of old contracts so that they can sign up to more lucrative ones.

Guest thompers

And if you can't see the connection between money spent and expectations then why don't you ring Abramovich up and ask him if he'll be happy with being 5th best over the next decade. In fact, ask him if he'd settle for being 2nd best. I'm sure he'd consider that failure.

Aye mate, and who will be responsible for that failure should it happen? Abramovich for backing Mourinho or Mourinho for not getting it right? Or is it just one of those things where there are so few trophies and no matter what happens you always need a bit of luck?

Mourinho has already won a trophy. If he had appointed Mourinho and he didn't win anything before f***ing up, it'd be Abramovich's fault.

Boring as F***, tbh. I expected better from you, even though we don't agree I know you're not stupid.

:lol: Is that your reply?

Abramovich has appointed a manager that has won him trophies. This confirms that Roman has appointed a manager capable of winning him trophies therefore he has done his job correctly. If it goes pearshaped from there it's Abramovich's job to either keep faith with him or replace him with a manager to take the club forward. If Abramovich decided to keep faith and it didn't work out, then it would be his fault. If he decided enough was enough and appointed Souness and Chelsea won nothing and finished 14th, it'd surely be his own fault?

On what evidence did he make that appointment?

He probably assessed his football club and assessed Mourinho's personality and character and decided that the two were compatible. Competence!

Are we going to compare this to appointing Dalgleish, the defensive style manager, to manage the most attacking team in English football?

:lol:

What do you know about the Liverpool team managed by Dalglish? Or are you basing everything on his time at Blackburn?

I see him as a very experienced and successful manager of 2 football clubs, success achieved under entirely different circumstances that indicated AT THE TIME that he could be a very good choice for us. Apart from the liar, I don't know anybody who thought this was a crap appointment at the time.

So your defence of Shepherd is that he once made an appointment that people thought would be good but wasn't?

So you don't think a manager who had won premiership titles with 2 clubs, 2 FA Cups and 3 manager of the year awards is qualified enough  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not the right man for the job, as he proved to be a FACT. Right?

Hindsight.

Using the only suitable criteria to select a manager he was a qualified and suitable person for the job. If we appointed a manager today with a similar track record you'd be looking at the Wenger level, I doubt many would be complaining although the "damned if they do, damned if they don't" crowd might surprise me.

Squad For Jan:

Pav

Krul

Harper

Given

Edgar    Hunty  Moore      Baba/Bernard

Nobby  Taylor  Ramage  New LB 

Troisi      Butt      Pattison    O'brien

Milner    Parker  Emre        Duff/Zoggy

Le Sib      New Striker

Martins    Dyer

Subs

Harper/Krul

Hunty

Butt

Duff/Zoggy

Le Sib/New Striker

Get rid of Bramble (swap deal?), Car (give away) and Luque (highest bidder)!

Brilliant new LB in and also a half decent Striker.

Guest shaun11177

Just about every Manager is saying they want to streghthen and bring in 2-3 players+they arent going to sell.I cant wait to see where all these players are going to come from.

Hindsight.

Using the only suitable criteria to select a manager he was a qualified and suitable person for the job. If we appointed a manager today with a similar track record you'd be looking at the Wenger level, I doubt many would be complaining although the "damned if they do, damned if they don't" crowd might surprise me.

What he said.

Anyone who claims to have predicted Dalglish would be a disaster is lying.

Guest nufc 4 life

can we plaese get back to talkin about the transfer window lol. Ther have been no rumours for us in the newspapers today although it looks like we have no chance of signing Gareth Bale as even Real Madrid are interested in him and so are the big four in the prem. Portsmouth are supposedly makin a 4m bid for Upson and there has been no mention of Giles Barnes as of yet hope this was helpful to anyone that wants to know about the window and not about past managers and Roman Iamabitch

Was quite suprised that we werent linked to anyone. Still got a feeling we will get Barnes. Roeder confirmed he was interested in 2 players (Bales and Barnes) and from the 2 I think Barnes will be the easier to get.

Guest nufc 4 life

Was quite suprised that we werent linked to anyone. Still got a feeling we will get Barnes. Roeder confirmed he was interested in 2 players (Bales and Barnes) and from the 2 I think Barnes will be the easier to get.

definetely, but bale would be the one we actually desperately needed because we need a left back Barnes is an attacking midfielder/striker unfortunately

Crouch or Klose ?

Klose wants away and probably will be sold, Crouch seems happy at Pool and I doubt very much Raffa will part with him, but again we will piss about on a striker we won't get whilst Man Ure go ahead and sign Klose, before we even bother making any kind of offer.

definetely, but bale would be the one we actually desperately needed because we need a left back Barnes is an attacking midfielder/striker unfortunately

I think Barnes could do a good job for us. Has a very good shot on him, is tall and looks farily well built. He is also very versatile so could do a job upfront with Martins until Owen gets back then can play anywhere in midfield. Looking at it that way he would be a very logical signing, rather than splashing out for a striker who is gonna end up on the bench or keep an expensive striker on the bench we will have someone who will do the job up top but then be used elsewhere if there is space. We need a goalscoring midfielder but we have more pressing priorities which makes Barnes a little more attractive.

Guest nufc 4 life

I think Barnes could do a good job for us. Has a very good shot on him, is tall and looks farily well built. He is also very versatile so could do a job upfront with Martins until Owen gets back then can play anywhere in midfield. Looking at it that way he would be a very logical signing, rather than splashing out for a striker who is gonna end up on the bench or keep an expensive striker on the bench we will have someone who will do the job up top but then be used elsewhere if there is space. We need a goalscoring midfielder but we have more pressing priorities which makes Barnes a little more attractive.

a good point in which i agree on other than the question of whether he is capable to play in the best league in the world, is he of that standard

Always a gamble making it from the lower league (even a different league ala Luque), looks talented from what I have seen (especially shooting) and the Derby fans I have spoken to think he is a lot better than Huddlestone was at that age.