"United"...

Guest Bellers

Though it only annoys me a little generally it was the most irritating during the match on Monday when the commentator referred to them and only them as United. Bit shit when both teams are United.

"Manchester United" is a bit of a mouthful. Everything with a long name gets shortened for convnience, especially in commentary. How often are Tottenham Hotspur referred to as Tottenham Hotspur as opposed to Spurs? QPR? Villa? Unfortunately for yous, we exist so they can't be shortened to Manchester by anyone but the ignorant.

I know some people have got their nickers in a twist on here when I've referred to them as United (I remember doing it a gajillion times in one post a while back) but its just the way it is. No-one wants to write an essay every time they make a post and I doubt commentators and cretinous pundits want to want to win any prizes for ellecution when the balls flying all over the place. I just go with whats quick, easy and natural, and I imagine most others do the same. Alan Oliver might refer to yous as "United" but in the rest of the country and god knows where else Sky were broadcasting to, why would someone not use "Newcastle"? There's nothing to differentiate it from...frankly he probably just got to much a journalistic spoon up his arse to write "the Toon". To me its just City, United, Newcastle and its probably the same in most parts. No offense meant, we're just lazy. Birmingham call themselves Blues anyway bluebiggrin.gif

Guest FlapjackJoe

Still, I'd rather be referred to as Newcastle, Magpies, Geordies or Toon Army than simply 'United' (that name just reminds me of glory hunters tbh).

The problem with "Geordie" is that it refers to, well, Geordies only.  I'm a huge NUFC fan, but I'm not from there, so I'm part of the Toon Army, but not a Geordie...

I quite like the term "barcode" too.  Mainly because other fans think it's insulting.  I don't.  Actually, I refer to my replica home shirts are barcodes...

It annoys me, because we ARE United.

In fact Manchester United is incorrect and Newcastle United is correct.

Manchester United is a lie. Manchester is NOT United, it's Manchester Divided because they are split between two teams.

But we're a one team city and Newcastle IS United behind it.

I don't mind Man U being refered to as 'UNITED' by their fans or in a Manchester context, amongst Mancunians, and when being referred to along with Man City.

But when its done on a national basis and applied regardless of who they're playing by the media et al, then no, it isn't on whatsoever. It would be wrong if they did that with us or Leeds, or Sheffield United or West Ham, or any United.

If I hear people refer to Man U as 'United' then I start referering to us as United. I do sometimes anyway, along with 'Newcastle', or 'The Toon'. I refuse to let them have the term to themselves.

"Manchester United" is a bit of a mouthful. Everything with a long name gets shortened for convnience, especially in commentary. How often are Tottenham Hotspur referred to as Tottenham Hotspur as opposed to Spurs? QPR? Villa? Unfortunately for yous, we exist so they can't be shortened to Manchester by anyone but the ignorant.

I know some people have got their nickers in a twist on here when I've referred to them as United (I remember doing it a gajillion times in one post a while back) but its just the way it is. No-one wants to write an essay every time they make a post and I doubt commentators and cretinous pundits want to want to win any prizes for ellecution when the balls flying all over the place. I just go with whats quick, easy and natural, and I imagine most others do the same. Alan Oliver might refer to yous as "United" but in the rest of the country and god knows where else Sky were broadcasting to, why would someone not use "Newcastle"? There's nothing to differentiate it from...frankly he probably just got to much a journalistic spoon up his arse to write "the Toon". To me its just City, United, Newcastle and its probably the same in most parts. No offense meant, we're just lazy. Birmingham call themselves Blues anyway bluebiggrin.gif

Are you sure..?

I was talking about this very thing this morning with a colleague, and pointing out that if I were a Barcode Newcastle fan, the use of "United" in the commentary the other day would have annoyed the living shit out of me, I think you've got good reason to be pissed off.

Dr Spectrum - re Birmingham calling themselves "Blues" - obv, where I'm from, we all know what this means, but I wasn't aware for a moment that elsewhere in the country the term was seen as referring to them any more than it would to, say, Everton or your lot, even. Or is that the point you were trying to make?

Its all about the "The" or lack of it. Its rare for anyone here refers to City as anything other than City. "The Blues" maybe, if they were trying to differentiate themselves from "The Reds" (boo). But I've heard countless phone-ins, read countless forums, and Birmingham fans all seem to refer to themselves as "Blues" (no "the"). So to me "Blues" means Birmingham City. My point was...Do they refer to themselves as "City" too? If they don't, I don't see how any of them would be annoyed about us being referred to as "City". If they do, I'd hope they would understand that as there is no Birmingham United FC, people are only doing the natural thing and mean no disrespect. Deep down everyone knows they are called Birmingham City Football Club just as everyone knows Newcastle are called Newcastle United Football Club. Its just easier.

Its all about the "The" or lack of it. Its rare for anyone here refers to City as anything other than City. "The Blues" maybe, if they were trying to differentiate themselves from "The Reds" (boo). But I've heard countless phone-ins, read countless forums, and Birmingham fans all seem to refer to themselves as "Blues" (no "the"). So to me "Blues" means Birmingham City. My point was...Do they refer to themselves as "City" too? If they don't, I don't see how any of them would be annoyed about us being referred to as "City". If they do, I'd hope they would understand that as there is no Birmingham United FC, people are only doing the natural thing and mean no disrespect. Deep down everyone knows they are called Birmingham City Football Club just as everyone knows Newcastle are called Newcastle United Football Club. Its just easier.

Exquisitely made point, and it is true, I've never heard NUFC referred to as United. I think what happens is that as soon as Man United enter the equation, something clicks within me, which flags every single thing that could possibly annoy me about them as being *incredibly* annoying. I pity Citeh fans having to share the city with them. In fact, the fact that they do has always made me like Man City as a club.

Although the thing that most made me like that was when we were pushing Man U for the league in the 92/93, and when we played you at our place, your fans had a banner saying "Good luck Villa". We all appreciated that hugely, and understood it.

I've never in my life heard a Blues fan refer to BCFC as City, by the way, I just assumed the "Blues" thing was local, still.

It probably is local. Its just that these days its pretty easy to discover these things. If I went out tomorrow and asked 100 people who "Blues" were, our servey will probably say...Manchester City, just by assumption. But with the Internet and Talk Radio and whatnot i'm aware of who calls themselves "Blues", and it ain't us.

PS: Don't worry, we don't share a City with them. Old Trafford is in Trafford, which is in Greater Manchester, not Manchester, like the mighty City. One team in Manchester mate bluebiggrin.gif

It probably is local. Its just that these days its pretty easy to discover these things. If I went out tomorrow and asked 100 people who "Blues" were, our servey will probably say...Manchester City, just by assumption. But with the Internet and Talk Radio and whatnot i'm aware of who calls themselves "Blues", and it ain't us.

PS: Don't worry, we don't share a City with them. Old Trafford is in Trafford, which is in Greater Manchester, not Manchester, like the mighty City. One team in Manchester mate bluebiggrin.gif

:thup: :thup:

I've never in my life heard a Blues fan refer to BCFC as City, by the way, I just assumed the "Blues" thing was local, still.

not bloody well surprised,BCFC play in red and white and play at ashton gate!!!!

anyway......the point is it's annoying that over the last 15 years or so the media have just ripped the name from others..i don't mind calling any team united if they are playing against a city or town...bet they wouldn't say "united on the attack" if it was us V's sheffield utd.this talk of they haven't got a proper nickname etc,well i'm sure they coped on motd when i were t'lad and they didnt call em unoyted then! :winking:

not bloody well surprised,BCFC play in red and white and play at ashton gate!!!!

anyway......the point is it's annoying that over the last 15 years or so the media have just ripped the name from others..i don't mind calling any team united if they are playing against a city or town...bet they wouldn't say "united on the attack" if it was us V's sheffield utd.this talk of they haven't got a proper nickname etc,well i'm sure they coped on motd when i were t'lad and they didnt call em unoyted then! :winking:

As i said in my first post, I fully understand why it would be annoying for your fans, even if in another way it is understandable.

I have to say, we're fortunate in being the only "Villa" but what I particularly like is being referred to as "the Villa".

If we had to share a moniker with those Manc cnuts, it'd be hellish.

That clip is beyond legendary. Added to my favourite eons ago. Makes me proud to be a bitter blue.

Yes, it is Jim Broadbent. The programme was called "The Street".

As for the United vs United thing, it might seem like some media conspiracy but really I don't think so. I just think that teams will almost always be referred to in shorthand in an against-the-clock broadcast. They wouldn't refer to yous as United when you play Sheffield United because to most the shorthand for Newcastle United is Newcastle (To yous it might be "the Toon" but while the rest of the country might know that means, its not something thats said a lot and it might not work with Sky's main target audience of Far Eastern internet gamblers).

As i said in my first post, I fully understand why it would be annoying for your fans, even if in another way it is understandable.

I have to say, we're fortunate in being the only "Villa" but what I particularly like is being referred to as "the Villa".

is your "villa" the same as the "on the slide villa"......no doubt different teams with a similar name :winking:

is your "villa" the same as the "on the slide villa"......no doubt different teams with a similar name :winking:

Sadly, yes. Although another name would be "the on the slide, yet still above the Toon despite being forced to field a team of players so young, they haven't actually had the umbilical chord snipped yet Villa"

:winking:

Sadly, yes. Although another name would be "the on the slide, yet still above the Toon despite being forced to field a team of players so young, they haven't actually had the umbilical chord snipped yet Villa"

:winking:

i'd send our kids against yours if social services wouldn't get involved.

if we were flush i'd be e-mailing the club "get luke moore"..is he what i think or have i just seen good highlights ?

Guest thenorthumbrian

Recently I've been noticing the media refer to the mancs as "united" a hell of a lot. For some reason this really gets on my nerve ends...

The other night I was watching "football first" at home several hours after the game when I found something far more more annoying than Gordon McQueen "neutrality":

"Oh good effort from united..."

"It's united on the attack..."

"United have dropped points..."

etc

In case the media hadn't noticed there were two "uniteds" on the pitch and there are more than a couple of "uniteds" throughout the football league, so why the hell do they persist in constantly refering to the mancs as "united"?

Is it a way of sharing their undying love for the mancs and Fergie? Or is it just a bad habit? Either way it pisses me off in monumental fashion...

Anyone else?

Yes it has been pissing me off for ages, just typical of the meejia dancing to Manure's tune.

Years ago they were called Man U ,simple.

It shows lazy journalism and a lack of respect to all the other teams with United in their title.

Worse still Roeder even said something about playing "United" what is the name of the team he manages then ? Dopey cockernee half-wit.