New January Transfer Window Thread

Guest nufc 4 life

I've got a feeling Montella is going to turn out to be a good move, too.

Considering his 3 goals in the last week getting fulham into the next round of the FA cup along the way, I think he can already be considered a good move.

Fair play to them for bagging him early doors etc etc. >:(

I've got a feeling Montella is going to turn out to be a good move, too.

Considering his 3 goals in the last week getting fulham into the next round of the FA cup along the way, I think he can already be considered a good move.

Fair play to them for bagging him early doors etc etc. >:(

Apparently you can only sign shite players early on in the winter window, even if you plan ahead.

Tottenham have reached an agreement to sign Portuguese defender Ricardo Rocha, according to reports.

Benfica centre-half Rocha was targeted by Tottenham boss Martin Jol to plug the gap left by Calum Davenport's transfer to West Ham last week.

Benfica were reluctant to release the player - who has been one of their most consistent performers this season - but according to reports in the Portuguese media, a 5 million Euro (just under £3.3 million) deal has been struck.

Another defender. Weeeeeeeee. There just arn't any players out there.

Tottenham have reached an agreement to sign Portuguese defender Ricardo Rocha, according to reports.

Benfica centre-half Rocha was targeted by Tottenham boss Martin Jol to plug the gap left by Calum Davenport's transfer to West Ham last week.

Benfica were reluctant to release the player - who has been one of their most consistent performers this season - but according to reports in the Portuguese media, a 5 million Euro (just under £3.3 million) deal has been struck.

Another defender. Weeeeeeeee. There just arn't any players out there.

Portugal?

Is that past Peterlee or summit?

It sounds daft but it is only jan 22nd and that really is early doors in this transfer window. The nine-days-left thing is a complete and utter red herring. Things only start to heat up at about this point, and most deals go through in the last couple of days.

You can bet the fans of almost all other clubs are currently saying "why the feck haven't we signed anyone yet" and getting twitchy.

No need.

Guest eltsacwen

Carew will not play against us according to his agent, who was told by MON that Carew will get his debut against West Ham

Guest Brazilianbob

I really cannot see us signing anyone of note in January because clubs don't want to release, or want too much for the players we want to sign.  Instead, FS will wait until the summer because we all know they will magically become cheaper and available.  Unfortunately when that happens everyone and their grandad can afford to lob in a bid, so we then end up having to match the top transfer fee and offer top dollar wages to get them on a long contract.  I say just bite the bullet and pay what they want in January and avoid all the heartache of missing out on targets in the summer

It sounds daft but it is only jan 22nd and that really is early doors in this transfer window. The nine-days-left thing is a complete and utter red herring. Things only start to heat up at about this point, and most deals go through in the last couple of days.

You can bet the fans of almost all other clubs are currently saying "why the feck haven't we signed anyone yet" and getting twitchy.

No need.

You missed the fact we've had 5 games this month with over half our squad out injured?

And because of lack of bodies we've dropped points in the West Ham game, and are out of the FA cup.

We shouldn't have got 3pts for the Spuds game, so our only win was a fluke.

Great month, and were still no closer to bringing in some boides to help us out. The defense is being plugged by kids and an old right winger with no pace.

Now Given is out, you can guarantee any game we dont play well in we will lose.

No need.

You missed the fact we've had 5 games this month with over half our squad out injured?

And because of lack of bodies we've dropped points in the West Ham game, and are out of the FA cup.

Great month, and were still no closer to bringing in some boides to help us out. The defense is being plugged by kids and an old right winger with no pace.

Spot on mate..

Villa would have been better off selling Baros to Lyon and going for a better goalscorer, they would have got more than the £3.5 million Werder Bremen were going to pay for Carew.

I would have had Carew here as back up, could be a decent squad player IMO.

Villa would have been better off selling Baros to Lyon and going for a better goalscorer, they would have got more than the £3.5 million Werder Bremen were going to pay for Carew.

Back-up for who? Ameobi?!

Back-up for who? Ameobi?!

Owen and Martins.

No need.

All fair points, but it isnt just about wanting or needing to get someone in, it is about being *able* to get the players you want in.

We've had a similar, if less extreme, injury / suspensions situation for most of January. And look at our run of form. No wins in 12 till Saturday.  We've desperately needed new bodies all season. It would have been fantastic to get someone in at the start of the month rather than not for 3 weeks, but it just isn't that easy in this stupid window - it is difficult for all clubs.

Hardly anyone wants to sell, and when they do, they play brinksmanship towards the end of the window to maximise their return.

Highly debatable. I'm amazed anyone wanted to buy Baros, he's a total waste of space.

Highly debatable. I'm amazed anyone wanted to buy Baros, he's a total waste of space.

Houllier has always made it public knowledge that he wants Baros, every transfer window he says he's interested, he even offered Liverpool £8 million for him when he signed for you lot.

Knowing all this you could have got at least £5 million for him, maybe even £6 million at a push.

Houllier has always made it public knowledge that he wants Baros, every transfer window he says he's interested, he even offered Liverpool £8 million for him when he signed for you lot.

Knowing all this you could have got at least £5 million for him, maybe even £6 million at a push.

His value has undoubtedly gone down since he joined us. 1 goal in 17 is not good.

Carew's not a highly prolific scorer either, but I suspect MON wants him to play in a 4-3-3 with Young and Agbonlahor or Luke Moore on either side of him, for which he'd be ideal.

Baros offers nothing. No matter how much Houllier wants him, he must be aware that his value has decreased markedly over the last year or so.

i can't believe that benfica let ricardo rocha go for only 3.5mill. he's a quality player that stood out not only against the mancs in their final champions league group stage game but all of the other group games as well. i would have taken him for 5mill any day of the week yall. roeder wake up buddy

i also couldn't give a shit about carew - 27 and imo never really proved anything. will be a decent squad player for villa though, and as you say brummie - he may be decent in a 4-3-3. not the man for us however!

if we can get one or two players in i will be pleased, i know that we need at least three, but realistically that probably wont happen.

i am also pleased that we didn't end up with warnock!

Guest eltsacwen

Carew would be the perfect signing for us up front. Martins/Owen - Carew/Ameobi would be perfect next season. Everbody knows we need a powerstriker since Shearer retired, and Shola is not gonna be that player. Lyon demanded £3,5-4 mill for Carew, and how many good strikers can you get for that kind of money these days?

Carew is 27 years old:

Lørenskog

Vålerenga 43(19)

Rosenborg 18(18)

Valencia 84 (20)

Roma 20(6)

Besiktas 24 (13)

Lyon 35 (10)

Winner of Norwegian Football Cup 1997 with Vålerenga.

Winner of Norwegian Premier League 1999 with Rosenborg.

Winner of Norwegian Football Cup 1999 with Rosenborg.

Winner of Spanish La Liga 2002 with Valencia.

Winner of French Ligue 1 championship 2006 with Olympique Lyonnais

He has played in the Champions League final, and scored in the penalty shoot out, a cool pass in the middle of the goal.

Typical Newcastle to spend £10mill on Asthon, Harewood or someone like that, when we could have had Carew for max £4 mill

the only two clubs where the standard is around the same level as the epl were roma and valencia - not excactly impressive records there imo!

the norwegian league is utter shite, and at the time he played for rosenborg they were miles and miles ahead of the rest. The same pretty much goes for Lyon (although the french league is decent)

agree that it is a reasonable price, but i dont rate him as a player

i can't believe that benfica let ricardo rocha go for only 3.5mill. he's a quality player that stood out not only against the mancs in their final champions league group stage game but all of the other group games as well. i would have taken him for 5mill any day of the week yall. roeder wake up buddy

Still time for a late bid. Not that that's likely like.