New January Transfer Window Thread

Guest nufc 4 life

Guest eltsacwen

Carew left Norway when he was 21 years old, so I wouldn't focus to much on this career in Norway.

71 games in Europe (29 goals).. Roma, Valenca (at their best) and Lyon (at their best) isn't a bad career

but scoring quite a few goals in europe against mixed quality opposition for a fantastic team isn't necessarily impressive - it could also mean, that he basically didn't score against quality opposition in italy and spain.

baros has been hammering them in for the national side at times.... but he couldn't score in the epl.

i stand by my oppinion - he is nothing special, but probably a decent enough signing for villa...

Apparently the the sacks of spuds want Duff for £7m, should we sell?

I'd probably take it after the shitty start to his career up here.

It looks like we've made money, but not doubt we gave him about £2m to sign, and about the same in wages since he's been here. :(

No chance, surely? We're bare enough on the left-flank as it is! N'Zogbia's not back until Feb, too, and what if he then gets injured?

TBh, Duff has done very little, it wouldn't bother me, however, i doubt FS would sell a high profile player like him.

No chance, surely? We're bare enough on the left-flank as it is! N'Zogbia's not back until Feb, too, and what if he then gets injured?

TBh, Duff has done very little, it wouldn't bother me, however, i doubt FS would sell a high profile player like him.

Would be admitting that he was completely wrong to sign him, so you're probably right.

Still think people are writing Duff off far too early.

Before Duff got injured every member of the squad had done very little tbf

I think Duff can get back to something close to his best and be a very good player for us but I didnt think we needed him when we signed him and if selling him meant we could add to areas of the team in much more need of quality players then I would be all for it!

Downcast stuff from Uncle Alan:

Don't waste your time

Jan 23 2007

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

Newcastle United have warned Spurs they are wasting their time making a £7m move for their Republic of Ireland winger Damien Duff.

White Hart Lane boss Martin Jol is desperate to solve his left-sided midfield problems and is ready to make a second attempt to take Duff to North London.

But as in the close season, when the 27-year-old chose to travel north to St James' Park in a £5m switch from Chelsea, the Spurs boss is wasting his time.

Speaking from Warwick University, where he is on his Pro- Licence course, Glenn Roeder told me today: "We have read the reports of Spurs wanting Damien Duff over the weekend, but we have heard nothing from them.

"In any case, they must know they are wasting their time. Why would we sign Damien Duff in the close season and then sell him on before that season is over?

"We are trying to build a good squad here at Newcastle United and Duff is very much part of our plans."

Roeder would rather be talking about new signings, but with the transfer window closing at midnight a week tomorrow it does not look as though he is going to get any, apart from a couple of loan deals.

Certainly talk over the weekend of Roeder making a £5m bid for Ajax's 20-year-old striker Ryan Babel is wide of the mark.

It's not that Roeder does not rate the Dutch international, but more that he feel he is way of out his price range as things stand at St James' Park at the moment.

And so too is his No 1 target Curtis Davies, who came to prominence at West Brom as the Championship's top young defender under the influence of Roeder's own No 2 Nigel Pearson in his time at The Hawthorns.

There has been talk of United trying to do a deal by offering Titus Bramble as part of a package to bring the 21-year-old Curtis to St James' Park, but this looks a non-starter.

For West Brom could not get anywhere near to matching the wages Bramble picks up with United.

Meanwhile, United have been puzzled about reports that they are in

talks with James Milner to tie the England Under-21 international down to a deal until 2011, especially as they have him under contract until 2009.

But then they realised Milner had been seen at St James' Park with his agent Mick Maguire, who works under strict PFA guidelines.

Milner and Maguire have been making a documentary for the PFA, sparking off inaccurate reports that the young winger has been offered the chance to extend his contract with United.

But this does not mean United are not absolutely delighted with the form of a player who is a role model for any youngster coming into the game - the reason he has been chosen for the PFA documentary.

NTHE talk-in at St James' Park with Lee Clark and John Beresford has been changed from Monday night to a week tonight (January 30) due to United's Reserves Cup tie with Whitley Bay having been re-arranged for January 29.

This talk-in has been arranged by The Army to raise money for disadvantaged youngsters.

Tickets at £15 including a pie and pea supper from Graeme Forster on 077697 06611.

And a talk-in with Les Ferdinand, Robert Lee and Terry McDermott, again at St James' Park on February 8 in aid of Wallsend Boys Club, is already sold out.

i don't think we should sell duff either - he is a very very good player, who just hasn't hit form for us yet. i still expect that to happen.

we really need to keep all our midfielders, the only area where we are actually pretty well covered (no one in their right mind could have expected the number of injuries we've had).

i will say it again - a left back, center back and squad striker should seriously improve our team. and with a few injuries clearing up, we do look pretty good imo!

Its this bit that sticks out for me

"It's not that Roeder does not rate the Dutch international, but more that he feel he is way of out his price range as things stand at St James' Park at the moment."

Regarding Ryan Babel for 5 mil.

Who the fook are these 2 loans going to be then?

Lassana Diarra will probably end up here if Chelsea get players fit soon or sign somebody, although I don't know why.

We've had a bid rejected by Arsenal for when of their kids who Wenger says "isn't ready for first team football on a regular basis" (Denilson? Djourou? Diaby? Song?)

Fowler?

Alan Smith?

Then there's Anton Ferdinand and Davies - who are surely non-starters if we don't have £5 million (unless of course we've set aside the money strictly for defenders)

Its all just a fkn joke but we knew before the window opened there was not much chance of us getting anyone and its all down to Fred. Roeder is as desperate as we are for new players but Fred is being a twat again, if he really wanted to do deals he would.

We are being made fools of again by the fkn fat controller.

Guest shaun11177

If the budget was say 5m then what is the point of putting Curtis Davies top of your most wanted list.Unless we really thought WBA would sell for 5m+Bramble.

As for 2 loan signings,how long does it take to sign 2 players on loan!

Guest Sniffer

I don't know whose fault it is....like everybody else on this forum. I have to say that Roeder looks clueless in the transfer market so far. He's had plenty of time to identify targets but really comes over as fairly useless regardless of the reasons.

maybe it depends on which permenant transfers he can get.

If he doesnt manage to get certain players in certain positions then he will have to loan a player in that position.

whats to say he doesnt have an option on loan for each position. (other than our knowledge of past dealings at the club!)

I don't know whose fault it is....like everybody else on this forum. I have to say that Roeder looks clueless in the transfer market so far. He's had plenty of time to identify targets but really comes over as fairly useless regardless of the reasons.

He has said more than  once he knows who he wants and has passed it on to the chairman, its not up to Glenn to get them here, its upto Fred.

I think Fred is doing nothing until the Halls tell him what they are intending to do with their sharesm also think he was waiting for Belgravia to make any move they were going to.

Also have not seen this posted today..

West Ham defender Anton Ferdinand claims he is in the dark over whether Newcastle have lodged a bid for his services.

The Hammers have been major players in the transfer marker this month, as new owner Eggert Magnusson endeavours to revamp the side in order to haul the club away from danger.

There has also been talk of players moving on from Upton Park and classy defender Ferdinand has been linked with a switch to Newcastle.

Ferdinand clams he is content with his lot at West Ham and is unaware of interest from Newcastle.

"This is where I have grown up," he said in the Telegraph. "I would never choose to back out of a relegation fight for West Ham.

"It is news to me that Newcastle want to sign me. You will have to ask the manager."

Guest shaun11177

In his interview in the mag roeder quite clearly says he will definitely bring in 2 loanees no matter whether there are permanent signings or not.

Now surely if we were interested in a lad from Arsenal we can ring them before jan 1st and enquire whether they will let us have one of their youngsters.Surely we knew the answer before the transfer window opened.

Also with 8 days to go what other names are suddenly going to appear.

In his interview in the mag roeder quite clearly says he will definitely bring in 2 loanees no matter whether there are permanent signings or not.

Now surely if we were interested in a lad from Arsenal we can ring them before jan 1st and enquire whether they will let us have one of their youngsters.Surely we knew the answer before the transfer window opened.

Also with 8 days to go what other names are suddenly going to appear.

Exactly, if we were going to make loan deals why weren't they lined up and brought in on New Years Day (a la Henrik Larsson). Of course that would require foresight and intelligent planning.