FFS vs SJH

sempuki

United?

Jan 21 2007

By Neil Farrington, The Sunday Sun

Newcastle United chairman Freddy Shepherd last night launched a stark ultimatum to major shareholder Sir John Hall... Back us or bail out, because the future of the club is in your hands.

With Hall thwarted in his attempts to sell his family's 41.6 per cent stake in United to two would-be buyers, Shepherd is demanding he now comes clean on his future plans.

He wants an end to the uncertainty which he says has made it "impossible" for him to run the club, affected Glenn Roeder's transfer plans and cost United an estimated £1m-plus.

Hall invited a Toon takeover from the Belgravia Group and American investment fund Polygon, but both have withdrawn their interest in the club.

Jersey-based Belgravia backed off soon after the Sunday Sun exposed the controversial investments of its sister company in Gibraltar, while Shepherd told them to "put up or shut up".

Shepherd, who succeeded Hall as chairman in 1998, also revealed he could launch a takeover bid himself . . . if the price is right.

He said: "Sir John Hall has to decide what his role in the club is. He has to decide whether he wants to stick or sell. For the sake of the club, the shareholders and supporters, Sir John must decide quickly what he's going to do and make his position public.

"We can't allow this uncertainty and speculation to continue for another 12 months. The business must go forward, whether it is with me, Sir John, or someone else.

"The uncertainty is making it hard for me to run the club, and I'm not prepared to put up with it."

That uncertainty has lasted since June, when Belgravia first expressed an outline interest in a takeover, and is blamed by Shepherd for Newcastle's patchy form this season and lack of transfer activity.

He said: "The offer period has been damaging and difficult for everyone at the club. The manager, the coaches, the players and our administrative staff have been left wondering whether they would have jobs when it was all over.

"All I'm asking of him is a clear decision. I want him to be honest with me and the supporters.

"Our fans read that Belgravia were going to put £24m in for new players in January. That created problems by raising fans' expectations and causes clubs to raise their prices when we ask them about players.

"When you are a plc under offer, there are certain rules that must be adhered to which mean you must be very careful on expenditure. That has affected our ability to compete in the transfer market this season."

But Shepherd, whose own stake in United stands at 28 per cent, admitted: "I would consider buying the Halls' shares at the correct price.

"I have shown my commitment to Newcastle by buying shares in the club and I have never sold a share.

"I can't prevent Sir John selling the shares he controls, but I'm not going to let any would-be buyer take the Mickey out of this club or its supporters."

Sorry, but I think this is Shepherd trying to deflect blame from himself for the sale falling through.

It's clear what Hall's position is, he wants to sell his stake in the club.

It wasn't SJH who wanted more money it was Shepherd.  It's Shepherd who has been recruiting and selling players without consultation with the team manager.  It's Shepherd who creates all of the uncertainty within the club.

I call bollocks on this article.

Sorry, but I think this is Shepherd trying to deflect blame from himself for the sale falling through.

It wasn't SJH who wanted more money it was Shepherd. It's Shepherd who has been recruiting and selling players without consultation with the team manager.  It's Shepherd who creates all of the uncertainty within the club.

and how do you know this ?

But Shepherd, whose own stake in United stands at 28 per cent, admitted: "I would consider buying the Halls' shares at the correct price.

that proberly means the CURRANT price ;D ;D

It wasn't SJH who wanted more money it was Shepherd.  It's Shepherd who has been recruiting and selling players without consultation with the team manager.  It's Shepherd who creates all of the uncertainty within the club.

I agree 100%. Total bollocks from start to finish. Still, it looks like we now have a declaration of war, with Shepherd trying to get the fans on his side. We'll see what happens.

Personally i just wish the daft fucker would keep his mouth shut, i think he is having a bet with Roman to see who can get the most coverage in the press lol

Freddy shut your mouth, no one likes you and no ones cares what you have to say !!!!  ;D

If he's trying to get fans onside, then its wont work, only him selling up to a major investor will ever repair the damage he created for himself.

Now he's just making his feud or power struggle with the Halls public, so now the takeover crap has fuked off, we are now lumbered with this, and the press can jump on it anytime they want and make as many stories out of it as possible bringing more un-needed media attention to the club which is struggling on and off the pitch.

Fuking idiot.

If he's trying to get fans onside, then its wont work, only him selling up to a major investor will ever repair the damage he created for himself.

Now he's just making his feud or power struggle with the Halls public, so now the takeover crap has fuked off, we are now lumbered with this, and the press can jump on it anytime they want and make as many stories out of it as possible bringing more un-needed media attention to the club which is struggling on and off the pitch.

Fuking idiot.

This.

Guest Knightrider

Deflecting blame onto others for his role in the unsuccessful takeover and now trying to get fans on his side presumably for his own full takeover bid. It wasn't the Halls who were wanting mega money for their shares, it was Shepherd. God help us if this man ever gets full control of the club.

Guest Invicta_Toon

Deflecting blame onto others for his role in the unsuccessful takeover and now trying to get fans on his side presumably for his own full takeover bid. It wasn't the Halls who were wanting mega money for their shares, it was Shepherd. God help us if this man ever gets full control of the club.

I love it the way people think they know what goes on in the boardroom

and regarding the statement, the last sentance is the only relevant bit

Guest Knightrider

Vicky, the Halls have wanted out for a number of years now, they will sell their shares at a reasonable offer, as they've stated before. FS on the other hand has always wanted to own the club outright which is why he's bought lots of shares, it doesn't take much to assume that it is him wanting more for his shares than the Halls who are desperate to get rid of theirs, now does it? Then again with you...

Guest Invicta_Toon

Vicky, the Halls have wanted out for a number of years now, they will sell their shares at a reasonable offer, as they've stated before. FS on the other hand has always wanted to own the club outright which is why he's bought lots of shares, it doesn't take much to assume that it is him wanting more for his shares than the Halls who are desperate to get rid of theirs, now does it? Then again with you...

right, so you know FOR SURE what went on in the board room?

if SJH is desperate to get out, why has he presided over 2 failed negotiations? FF owns half what SJH does, if he was that desperate he could leverage FF out of the club with the help of a potential buyer. I say it's just as much SJH not getting what he wants out of a deal as FF

Guest Invicta_Toon

"Sir John Hall has to decide what his role in the club is. He has to decide whether he wants to stick or sell. For the sake of the club, the shareholders and supporters, Sir John must decide quickly what he's going to do and make his position public"

if SJH doesn't come out and publcily slam that pisstake of a quote, then it's pretty clear that it is not just a case of FF holding out against SJH

if SJH is desperate to get out, why has he presided over 2 failed negotiations? FF owns half what SJH does, if he was that desperate he could leverage FF out of the club with the help of a potential buyer. I say it's just as much SJH not getting what he wants out of a deal as FF

Yea i agree with that, Althou i would of liked FS kept all this shit behind closed doors.

SJH is no longer on the board though is he, so all official negotiations have to be through the board, so SJH has not "presided" over this at all. The situation is that unless Fred agrees to sell the club will not be taken over. Someone could come along and buy all the other shares apart from Fred's and then freeze him out to the extent that he eventually wants out, but it would be a very long and extremely messy process. The kind of process that no-one is going to get involved in, in reality.

Just to be clear, if you want to buy a club you want 50% plus, which unfortunately probably means buying out both Hall and Shepherd. Even if you could get John Halls' shares plus enough to get over 50% you don't want a 28% shareholder and disgruntled ex chairman hanging around demanding seats on the board. Especially if you're good at running a business and would rather not deal with someone who thought a four man board of himself, his sister, his accountant and his mate was going to deliver on all that transparency and accountability stuff.

So it takes both the Halls and Shepherd to want out to get shot of both of them. My personal suspicions are that Hall wants to sell, but not to Shepherd, and Shepherd wants to buy. (anyone know where Shepherd would raise the needed 50m + btw?). The consortium deals probably fell through because either Hall or Shepherd or both were asking too much.

I wouldn't be surprised if in their minds they're selling a top four club that was 'this close' to winning the title and should be challenging for top honours, while on the other side of the table is someone wondering whether we're mid table or lower mid table...

Shepard would take out a loan for the required sum (which is probably closer to 75m), then he would do what the Glazer's have done at Man USA. Re-mortgage the loan/s against the club.

Except Man Utd make close to £50 million a year in profit, banks wouldn't have any problem lending to buy a company like that.

We on the other hand are already around £85 million in debt and continue to operate at a loss.

Shepard would take out a loan for the required sum (which is probably closer to 75m), then he would do what the Glazer's have done at Man USA. Re-mortgage the loan/s against the club.

Would anybody back the loans on top of the debt that the club already carries?

Gates are falling and a lot of people might get turned off by the thought of Shepherd going it alone.

My reading of it is that the Halls want to sell, but they don't want to act unilaterally and they've been trying to do everything jointly with Shepherd. They'd get a far better deal if they sold both sets of shares together because then the new people would be in a position to get the 75% of shares needed to take complete control, and not just the 51% needed for a majority shareholding.

Shepherd wants to stay in charge, and so a joint sale has been doomed to fail. Freddie has now thrown down the gauntlet, challenging the Halls to either go it alone with a sale, or throw in their lot with him.

The bit about it being difficult to run the club with all this going on, and clubs demanding higher transfer fees, is just bullshit.

My reading of that is that Shephard is sabotaging larger bids from other investors because he wants to buy the club himself cut-price.

"Come on Johnny, noone wants to buy your stake, those investors were all just phony bettimg scams set up by supporter groups. I will, however, pleasantly suprise you by offering you 30p per each of your shares. Its cash on the table, a very good offer indeed".

Guest Invicta_Toon

some more gems from the BBC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/6284653.stm

Shepherd said: "Sir John Hall has to decide what his role in the club is. The future of the club is in his hands.

"He has to decide whether he wants to stick or sell. The uncertainty is making it hard for me to run the club."

Shepherd added: "He is perfectly entitled to sell his shares to whomever he wants. But if he wants to sell them, he needs to say so and if, he does not, good, let's all march on together.

"Sir John identified two potential buyers and it has not worked. How many more potential buyers has the club to cope with?"

"If he lives to be 100, is Sir John going to keep trying to sell these shares? Are we going to have this uncertainty forever?

"I want him to be honest with me and the supporters. The club simply cannot go on dealing with proposed buyers knocking on the door who turn out to be time-wasters.

"It is me who has to run the club on a day-to-day basis and this situation is not conducive to running a huge Premiership club.

"I cannot prevent Sir John selling the shares he controls but I want it to be to the right people. As long as I am here, I am going to do my best for the club."

comedy gold tbh  LOL