Yanks in poll to take over Liverpool. The new danger to our football.

Parky

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml;jsessionid=R5U4MMOJUKKJTQFIQMGSFF4AVCBQWIV0?xml=/sport/2007/02/02/sfnliv02.xml

American investors who are clueless about our quaint ways and our football tradition are more likely than any other type of investor to destroy the core values of our game, given their propensity for the makeover and the 'showcase'.

"According to well-informed sources in the United States, Hicks, the owner of the Texas Rangers baseball team and the Dallas Stars ice hockey side as well as being a friend of American president George W Bush, has entered into a 50-50 agreement with Gillett to purchase the Merseyside club for £450 million ."

The clubs are the ones inviting these billionaires from the US, Dubai, Thailand etc.  The clubs are the ones that sold their souls to Murdoch and brought on the SKY era.  They have been turned into cash cows, but you expect businessmen interested in a profit to not be interested.  If you don't like the multi-million pound transfers, salaries and new grounds then support a non-league side.  Because you can't encourage an international, top quality league and expect every investor to be a passionate supporter of the clubs they buy.  It's a myth that only helps 'local' greedy sharks like our own chairman who is somehow considered a better alternative because he isn't from Texas and 'loves' the club.

Texas ffs!!

What next refusing to pay tax on petrol and all carrying sidearms? Cars with 'Dukes of Hazzard' horns?!

Americans are guranteed to ruin anything they touch. :)

:lol:

Let's hope the Gooch is an exception eh?

On the contrary I want Gooch out now!111

Texas ffs!!

What next refusing to pay tax on petrol and all carrying sidearms? Cars with 'Dukes of Hazzard' horns?!

I've been to a hockey game in Dallas, and when the home team scored a giant big screen television broadcast former WWF wrestler Rick Flair shouting 'THATS A DALLAS STARS GOAL, WHOOOOOO' followed by sirens and a bullhorn.  The Premiership is crying out for a touch of Texan class.

Guest YankeeGeordie

:lol:  Parky on the wind-up.

Yep.  But Texans are easy and fun to ridicule.  It's a national sport for the other 49 states.  They actually consider themselves a nation unto themselves and put Texas before country.  I doubt too many Yanks will rise to this bait.

You get what you pay for, Parky.  International billionaires buying clubs for profit is the natural extension of everything that has gone before.

:lol:  Parky on the wind-up.

Yep.  But Texans are easy and fun to ridicule.  It's a national sport for the other 49 states.

Huh? What part of the country are you from?  Never played that game.

Here in Northern California, we're too busy insulting our friends in the south of the state.

Interesting thread packed with the expected responses.

Nothing would make me happier than having a group of American investors completely destroy Liverpool and ManUre - if that doesn't make Geordies get up and sing "god bless America" than nothing will.

G.L. - Having lived in both the Northern and Southern parts of California I can attest to what you say. In SF everyone is always comparing themselves to LA and going on about how much better they are than LA ... and in LA, SF never even comes up.

For the record: Texas does indeed suck* (with the excpetion of Austin and certain parts of San Antonio).

My dream is to have Parky forcably deported to GitMo so he can honestly have something to complain about ... or barring that deported to NYC because its big, loud and full of jewish people.

G.L. - Having lived in both the Northern and Southern parts of California I can attest to what you say. In SF everyone is always comparing themselves to LA and going on about how much better they are than LA ... and in LA, SF never even comes up.

True enough. Though, very few people in San Francisco are actually natives. And when San Franciscans talk about their City they're talking about how much greater it is than any other city in the world.  ;D

Interesting thread packed with the expected responses.

Nothing would make me happier than having a group of American investors completely destroy Liverpool and ManUre - if that doesn't make Geordies get up and sing "god bless America" than nothing will.

For the record: Texas does indeed suck* (with the excpetion of Austin and certain parts of San Antonio).

My dream is to have Parky forcably deported to GitMo so he can honestly have something to complain about ... or barring that deported to NYC because its big, loud and full of jewish people.

The FA/PL whatever need to look at the rules for club ownership in this country and safeguards need to be put in place for responsible ownership. Football clubs aren't just businesses, they are part of the community and people's lives.

Cali: What happens to the scoucers today could be us tommorrow.

The FA/PL whatever need to look at the rules for club ownership in this country and safeguards need to be put in place for responsible ownership. Football clubs aren't just businesses, they are part of the community and people's lives.

Valid point.

American businessmen, however, would laugh themselves silly at such a notion. There is long history in American sports of team owners picking up and moving their "franchise" to another city in search of bigger profits.

Teams do belong to their communities and the rights of the fans should be safeguarded.

Texas ffs!!

parky's mams american

He is certainly paranoid about Americans.

He needs to get out of his bedroom more often or at least open the curtains.

American's own Man Utd, they are taking over Liverpool, a Russian owns Chelsea and Americans looked at Spurs last year...How am I paranoid?

In your own time sniffles.

He is certainly paranoid about Americans.

He needs to get out of his bedroom more often or at least open the curtains.

American's own Man Utd, they are taking over Liverpool, a Russian owns Chelsea and Americans looked at Spurs last year...How am I paranoid?

In your own time sniffles.

So you are worried that we will turn into ManUre or CHelsea...  ???

So far the doom and gloom predictions of foreign ownership have (unfortunately) yet come to pass.

American investors who are clueless about our quaint ways and our football tradition are more likely than any other type of investor to destroy the core values of our game, given their propensity for the makeover and the 'showcase'.

With all due respect, what bullshit. Randy Lerner has shown more understanding of the history of the Villa, more appreciation of supporters, and - most important - a better recognition of what the problems are combined with swift action to combat them in 6 months than the very English Doug Ellis did in 30 years.

Making vast, all encompassing generalisations about groups of people based solely on their nationality is about as narrow minded as it gets, tbh

Guest Sniffer

Why would I care if an American wants to buy the team, parky? It hasn't done manure any harm. I don't see then out on the streets. If it's a solid investment, who cares? Or would you rather it was an arab...you know they really like our quaint ways and identify with the British way of life.

You really are such a tit when it comes to anything American.

My dearest friends Brummie/Sniffer,

In the case of ManUtd and Villa it is but Spring and the first week of Jan in the respective relationships. Let us wait and see what develops over the next season or two. Either of you two enlightened lads had a gander at Manure's debt servicing? And in the case of Villa well anybody bascially would have been a breath of fresh air compared to 'deadly' Doug. There are also the first signs of trouble at Chelsea and of course the last set of figures were £400m or so in the red, what would happen if Roman suddenly lost interest or decided to build more than two yachts a year instead and build a state of the art shipyard. What if Putin suddenly hit him for back taxes??

These things aren't as they seem on the surface and the only guaranteed revenue stream in football is the supporters.

I wouldn't mind a great big fancy owner coming in with a good management team to put things right, by god we need something along those lines, but I don't want to throw all caution to the wind at the first sign of the Yankee/Arab $$.

Btw some of my fav people are Americans. :tongue:

Manure debt management..big numbers:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2006/07/09/cnmanu09.xml