Newcastle versus the "Big Boys"

Optimistic Nut

If by "big boys", we mean last season's top 6 of Chelsea, Liverpool, Man U, Arsenal, Spurs & Blackburn...

Man U 2-0 NUFC

L'pool 2-0 NUFC

Arsenal 1-1 NUFC

Blackburn 1-3 NUFC

Chelsea 1-0 NUFC

NUFC 3-1 Spurs

NUFC 2-2 Man U

Spurs 2-3 NUFC

NUFC 2-1 L'pool

P9, W4, D2, L3, F 14, A13, Pts 14.

Pretty respectable.

If by "big boys", we mean last season's top 6 of Chelsea, Liverpool, Man U, Arsenal, Spurs & Blackburn...

Man U 2-0 NUFC

L'pool 2-0 NUFC

Arsenal 1-1 NUFC

Blackburn 1-3 NUFC

Chelsea 1-0 NUFC

NUFC 3-1 Spurs

NUFC 2-2 Man U

Spurs 2-3 NUFC

NUFC 2-1 L'pool

P9, W4, D2, L3, F 14, A13, Pts 14.

Pretty respectable.

We seem to raise our game when playing the bigger clubs.  Why can't we beat the Fulham's of the world?

Guest andynufc84

Against the actual big boys (Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, Man Utd) We've already picked up 5 points and we're still to play a few of them. Still not bad.

can see us getting something off Arsenal and Chelsea as well tbh

Did u just count spurs with "the big boys" ?

He counted BLACKBURN for **** sake among the big boys ???

Why not Wigan ? The makems are a bigger club that Blackbums. (Smoggies aren't though :rolleyes: ;D)

Spuds are far more "Big Boys" than bloody Blackbum

They finished above us last season, so technically they are better than us. I think he's just pointing out the fact we've done well against teams better than us in theory. I doubt he actually thinks Blackburn and Spurs are 'big boys'.

They finished above us last season, so technically they are better than us. I think he's just pointing out the fact we've done well against teams better than us in theory. I doubt he actually thinks Blackburn and Spurs are 'big boys'.

I don't agree blackburn and spurs are "better than us in theory".

I'd take Spurs and Blackburn out of that.

The teams we really need to be beating (but never do each season) are Bolton, Everton and Fulham. These teams are physical and well drilled and always seem to get the better of us.

They finished above us, so they must be better, no? Therefore in theory, technically etc. they are better than us. And picking up results against teams finishing above us last season is an improvement.

Obviously in reality terms I think otherwise but in that sense it's true.

They finished above us, so they must be better, no? Therefore in theory, technically etc. they are better than us. And picking up results against teams finishing above us last season is an improvement.

He said "big boys" meaning the big clubs that consistently finish above us, not a couple of clubs that have done it once or twice in 15 years.  ^-^

He said "big boys" meaning the big clubs that consistently finish above us, not a couple of clubs that have done it once or twice in 15 years.  ^-^

We are the 6th best team in England ever when looking at all-time top-flight point haul.

That means that as we have come an average of 8th/9th under Shepherd, that would say that his chairmanship has been below average.

We are the 6th best team in England ever when looking at all-time top-flight point haul.

That means that as we have come an average of 8th/9th under Shepherd, that would say that his chairmanship has been below average.

I think you're confused again.... :coolsmiley:

It doesn't actually state that but fair enough. :cheesy:

Err, the title I see displayed in my browser is :

Newcastle versus the "Big Boys". What does it say in yours?

When Sunderland last finished above us a good few years ago would you say they were one of the "Big Boys?"  :cheesy: