Hugo Viana

Munkey

Thing is, when he signed we had a lot of good attacking players. Probably would have been better off at a team where he would have been the most creative.

Bah, the days when someone so good at passing like that wouldn't be a nailed on starter because of how good we were....

Guest neesy111

Remember a game home to Blackburn where he came off the bench at left-wing and was brilliant. Seem to remember a class assist for Hughes?

Just checked that game, wasn't Hughes, and he was only on 13 minutes, but I definitely remember one class first time cross that game from him.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2003/mar/24/match.sport12

Ah man just reading that. 3 points off the top with 7 games left and a title 6 pointer at home to Man Utd to come. We're never getting that close again are we. [emoji38]

Bellamy side-foot finish at home to Blackburn 5-1 I think?!

Robert scored a cracking free kick in that game.

Remember a game home to Blackburn where he came off the bench at left-wing and was brilliant. Seem to remember a class assist for Hughes?

Just checked that game, wasn't Hughes, and he was only on 13 minutes, but I definitely remember one class first time cross that game from him.

Ah man just reading that. 3 points off the top with 7 games left and a title 6 pointer at home to Man Utd to come. We're never getting that close again are we. :lol:

Aye, great goal.

Weird how that goal in an otherwise impressive win sticks in the minds of loads. Was a lush sunny afternoon that too.

Ah man just reading that. 3 points off the top with 7 games left and a title 6 pointer at home to Man Utd to come. We're never getting that close again are we. :lol:

Aye, great goal.

Weird how that goal in an otherwise impressive win sticks in the minds of loads. Was a lush sunny afternoon that too.

Remember he looked like absolute lightning shooting across the pitch for it.

FionaNUFC has made the game's goals available on a popular internet viewing website.

And reading the Guardian report knowing we had Souness a year and a bit later :anguish:

Guest firetotheworks

Aye, great goal.

I actually didn't bother going ahead with a post about that goal because I didn't think others would remember it. He had a canny few assists that season considering it was his first season, and that was my favourite, partly because Bellamy took it so well on the half volley as well.

So much hype over this lad when he signed, if I remember correctly he didn't play much for the first 5 or 6 matches but the whole crowd would go nuts every time he warmed up. Might have been too much pressure for a 19 year old forrin. Shame it didn't click, could have kicked us on if it had.

Guest neesy111

So much hype over this lad when he signed, if I remember correctly he didn't play much for the first 5 or 6 matches but the whole crowd would go nuts every time he warmed up. Might have been too much pressure for a 19 year old forrin. Shame it didn't click, could have kicked us on if it had.

He played lots as Robert was injured.  His PL debut against West Ham.  :drool:

Guest Howaythetoon

Viana was undoubtedly one of the best young players in the world when we signed him, however he never quite had the mental or physical aptitude to succeed in England despite having the football ability. That said, he didn't get the rub of the green at times and was played out of position mostly. It showed SBRs football brain though, he wanted to replace Speed, a box to box player, with a playmaker who would sit deep and pick the ball up and spray it about. Speed couldn't quite do that. I think the idea was to turn Jenas into the all-round box to box midfielder and have Viana behind him with Dyer as a roaming ATCM or advanced forward behind a CF. Basically 4-1-3-1-1 without traditional wingers. Ambrose was signed to be a non traditional winger and I'm positive SBR was looking to phase out Shearer and how we played with him as the focal point. 4-4-2 worked, but it wouldn't make us title winners or CL winners which is what SBR would have been aiming towards. Gary Speed btw looked after Viana like an uncle or father and Viana credited him after he left us as a huge positive influence on him. Those were good days where we as a club were constantly looking to become a force.

I have doubts about whether there really was a masterplan behind his signing. I suspect it was a product of the lack of co-ordination between Sir Bob and Freddie Shepherd, who was getting far too involved in the selection of players to target for transfer. Viana had a good Under 21 tournament, was being talked about as the best young midfield player in Europe, and Freddie got over excited. I think it was him who gave the lead to it, rather than Sir Bob.

I'm not saying that he was signed without Sir Bob's agreement, but it was presented to him as a 'yes or no' option.

Viana was definitely a SBR signing. I remember him saying he wanted to build the midfield around him and Jenas eventually, but Speed wasn't going to be dropped at that point and was going to go on forever in Bobby's eyes (that's why he was livid we sold him to Bolton). There was a definite plan for Viana though.

I was very disappointed he didn't make it here and in general because he was a lovely player to watch on the ball, great vision, technique and just very graceful at times. He sadly lacked the pace and mental aptitude, however. I don't think our ten style and the players we had suited Viana either.

Today I think he would have been a success here in England as the PL has changed massively.