Hugo Viana

Munkey

I think Robson bought him without ever really considering where he was going to play. He came with a good reputation and was always going to be disillusioned playing out wide or not at all. After two years he looked like he'd given up and his performance in the semi final reflected that. I'd like to know what Robsons plans for him were or whether on signing him he quickly realised that Robert and Dyer were simply better players.

Robson bought him as a replacement for Gary Speed.  :lol:

Those were SBR's words. You couldn't get more different.

Zut Alors!

In a lose way I can see the logic, employ him as a deep lying playmaker/water carrier (Speeds short passing game was atrocious) but with the lack of physicality he brought he was never going to be able to play a central role in a two man midfield where the other member was also weak as piss (JJ/Dyer)

It must be really shit being a could have been.

TBF to the lad, he has played and scored in the Champions Lge, has 25 caps for his country, played at the World Cup and in a European final. He's not done that bad.

Could have made a decent Riquelme-type player for someone if he'd had the right training and regular football. Certainly had the vision, technique and composure. Was never made for English football though, and has never looked like a central midfielder either; simply doesn't have the engine or strength for it.

Shame really because I didn't dislike him as much as others did when he was here.

Guest firetotheworks

I always liked him, but never felt that it was a case of him ironing out his faults, more that he was who he was, and that was it. Like a Luis Garcia in that way.

Speed's short passing game was atrocious? What a load of nonsense.

Agreed - Speed was so underrated when he was playing for us, it was unbelievable.  No way could his passing be regarded as atrocious.

Didn't say i didn't rate him, in fact I rated him highly (just not his short passing game), you could tell how could he was when he left and we made a pigs ear of replacing him.

He wasn't strong enough for the Premiership, but I thought he'd end up playing at a higher level than where he is now.

It was a very strange buy, and one where I think Freddie took the lead, although Sir Bob was happy to agree to it. We already had Jenas as a young CM who needed to be blooded into the side. We were never going to be able to develop both as first team players in CM at the same time.

Just checked and Hughes didn't score...could have sworn he did.

There were three lovely touches from Viana in the last three goals.

The excellent Aaron Hughes collected Viana's first pass and then teed up Jenas for a rifle that made it 3-1 on 85 minutes. Dyer picked up Viana's second, then forced Vratislav Gresko to score an own goal with Ameobi waiting. Viana himself supplied a sublime third inswinger for Craig Bellamy to lash in the fifth.

Was it bollocks his best performance in a toon shirt. Home to Brum and Chelsea twice in consecutive seasons stick out. A fantastic ball to Bernard at the Gallowgate rounding off a magnificent game in particular.

best goal of the season that the one against chelsea.