St James' Park

Delima

1 minute ago, ponsaelius said:

The survey is awful mind. There is one cursory mention of improving the atmosphere. Literally everything else is about improving corporate, comfy seats, food and drink, how much you are willing to spend. All stuff I literally couldn't give a single fuck about - but this seems the way it's going to go.

Particularly jarring when you consider Mehrdad's comments on atmosphere.

Aye that's my concern, too. Hopefully other fans have filled it in similar, showing no interest in all the fancy shit to trap you in the stadium for 5 hours, or huge fuck off seats. People just want to see the team play and have somewhere to piss. 

1. More seats

2. Better toilets

3. Better entrances/exits

4. Greggs

5. Aquaruiam with giant seahorses being ridden by magpies (obviously the magpies are wearing scuba gear so they don't drown)

5 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

The survey is awful mind. There is one cursory mention of improving the atmosphere. Literally everything else is about improving corporate, comfy seats, food and drink, how much you are willing to spend. All stuff I literally couldn't give a single fuck about - but this seems the way it's going to go.

Yeah, they need to be in no doubt that any rebuild needs to have atmosphere as a priority. That means a proper roof that extends to the pitch and stands close to the pitch too.

11 minutes ago, OCK said:

Aye that's my concern, too. Hopefully other fans have filled it in similar, showing no interest in all the fancy shit to trap you in the stadium for 5 hours, or huge fuck off seats. People just want to see the team play and have somewhere to piss. 

1. More seats

2. Better toilets

3. Better entrances/exits

4. Greggs

5. Aquaruiam with giant seahorses being ridden by magpies (obviously the magpies are wearing scuba gear so they don't drown)

Aye, I hit no interest to all of those daft hospitality seats. Imagine the cost when they’re already charging, what, £600+ a pop for those new hospitality areas?

Edited by NUFC_Chris

Just filled it out, a new stadium resolves all issues tbf, as much as I love St James it will obviously be hard to sort all issues. A new stadium solves the below:

More standing to enhance atmosphere.

Seat relocations so can get an "end".

Better facilities.

More revenue.

Increased capacity

I don't think there will be much we can do on current site other than building up one stand.

The seating in that Wings place was entirely empty when the second half kicked off on Saturday it was weird seeing it. As for corporates in general. How many of these types are there up here to attend matches in any case? Not a lot I would imagine.

10 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Yeah, they need to be in no doubt that any rebuild needs to have atmosphere as a priority. That means a proper roof that extends to the pitch and stands close to the pitch too.

Agreed, and best thing would'nt need to ask people to move. Alot easier to say the 5k seats behind each goal are going to be standing in a new ground than moving people in curewnt ground.

Reality is as well platinum club and 1892 are shite fkr corporate but £1150-1300. If you were in there and had the cash surely you would rather pay extra 300 and have something much better.

You can cater for corporate and fans wanting to stand so much better

I predict a renovation of sorts (with price increases) this summer - they have declined Rugby magic weekend this year and no gigs announced.  Summer is for whatever refurb they can squeeze in.  One of the Qs was “how much extra would you pay for a refurb”.  They know tens of thousands are locked out so expect them to squeeze every current ST holder in the knowledge there are dozens ready to snap up every ticket.

Then the brand new stadium feels inevitable but a long way away, perhaps a decade.

The stadium location is both the best thing about the club but also a massive pain in the arse for their dreams of revenue maximisation at all costs.

You can read between the lines to see how they are grappling with this reality. Perfect location means guaranteed huge crowds every week and an iconic stadium brand for the club, but it also means no fucker is interested in rocking up an hour before to eat and drink overpriced shit when there's a thousand better places in walking distance. 

I've heard on the grapevine that they are completely not interested in the arena site. I do find it mildly surprising if true as it's probably perfect for fulfilling the niche of not quite being out of town but also being peripheral enough that they could probably drag people in early the way Spurs stadium does, or have it surrounded by fan parks and soulless club associated eateries 🤢

1 hour ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Burnden was literally wooden and 102 years old upon closure, however the site of the Reebok is awful. It's literally on a retail world type thing. Obviously we wouldn't do that but we may have to "write off" a season in terms of ST holders being able to attend every home game.

Removing the 3pm blackout would help.... ;)

Wasnt half of the away end at Burnden a supermarket ? When we beat them 1-3 in Ginolas first game for us we sang " You only sing when youre shoppin - sing when youre shoppin , you only sing when youre shoppin " 

😎. Ginola skimmed the bar from near the halfway line and one of our lot shouted " Hoo man ! Hees got more skill in eez cock than yeev got in ya hurl teem "

🤪

6 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

The stadium location is both the best thing about the club but also a massive pain in the arse for their dreams of revenue maximisation at all costs.

You can read between the lines to see how they are grappling with this reality. Perfect location means guaranteed huge crowds every week and an iconic stadium brand for the club, but it also means no fucker is interested in rocking up an hour before to eat and drink overpriced shit when there's a thousand better places in walking distance. 

I've heard on the grapevine that they are completely not interested in the arena site. I do find it mildly surprising if true as it's probably perfect for fulfilling the niche of not quite being out of town but also being peripheral enough that they could probably drag people in early the way Spurs stadium does, or have it surrounded by fan parks and soulless club associated eateries 🤢

If they include catering & entertainment facilities that are impressive and affordable enough I’m pretty sure that they’d entice enough people in mind, especially with a 70k+ stadium. And particularly, the all-new fans that have no experience of the ‘established’ pre-match rituals.

8 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

The arena site could really expand the City Centre and drive investment into that area. With river nearby they could certainly build something that is spectacular on that site.

If I had to choose I would probably go down the Castle Leazes route, with a land swap and new park leading to City Centre.

The city centre does lack green spaces and it could really add something if done well.

1 hour ago, ponsaelius said:

They won't say it explicitly but there's only basically four viable options:

1. Expand Gallowgate, East Stand and stadium wide renovation. Max capacity probably about 62k. Positives are minimal disruption and retain historic location. Negatives (depending on your perspective) are probably limited in terms of internal improvements and means stadium is maxed out forever in terms of capacity.

2. Rebuild on same site. Perceived positives are it is possible to more or less do whatever you want while retaining historic location. Unlimited scope for corporate and offering for hosting other events. Could go to any capacity which desired. Main negative is that demolish and rebuild will mean at least 2 years in exile either at a temporary stadium or another stadium somewhere else.

3. New stadium on the Arena site. As above positives are the scope to do more or less whatever you want. No disruption at all. However complete loss of historic location, and also slightly more peripheral in terms of relationship with the city and transport nodes.

4. Build new stadium on Castle Leazes. Again more or less freedom to build whatever type of stadium you want up to any capacity. Although it is in a new location I would say it retains the spirit of the historic location - particularly if connected down to Strawberry place through enhanced/new parkland. No need for any play in exile.

2 is pointless cos youd still be dealing with the same footprint 

7 minutes ago, Wandy said:

If they include catering & entertainment facilities that are impressive and affordable enough I’m pretty sure that they’d entice enough people in mind, especially with a 70k+ stadium. And particularly, the all-new fans that have no experience of the ‘established’ pre-match rituals.

Easy way round that for the club would be to say you have to be in the ground at least an hour before kickoff 

1 hour ago, ponsaelius said:

I wasn't keen on the "how much extra would you be prepared to pay......?" questions.

38 minutes ago, Orphanage said:

Wasnt half of the away end at Burnden a supermarket ? When we beat them 1-3 in Ginolas first game for us we sang " You only sing when youre shoppin - sing when youre shoppin , you only sing when youre shoppin " 

😎. Ginola skimmed the bar from near the halfway line and one of our lot shouted " Hoo man ! Hees got more skill in eez cock than yeev got in ya hurl teem "

🤪

I've only been there once, when they beat Spurs 6-1 in the FA Cup. I was about 8 or 9 at the time so my memory is sketchy, but bloody hell my uncle (Bolton ST holder) was embarrassed by it.