Shearer's replacement signs for Man City

Guest sicko2ndbest

Bobby wasn't going to sell Shearer. He turned down Liverpool's offer.

He wanted Mpenza aswell - who was doing very well at the time. He saw him as the long term replacement goalscorer for Shearer.

al last someone with a bit of sense

anybody who actually believes Sir Bobby wanted to sell Shearer needs there heads checked, i suspose these are they same people who would suscribe to that of Sir Bobby having no control of the dressing room despite getting 3rd, 4th, 5h  :rolleyes:

-these myths are laughable whats more laughable is those who believe them-

Have you read Sir Bobbys book?

only the 5 times

anyway, back to topic.... thank f*ck we didnt sign Mpenza back then, and indeed now. Though i guess on a 4 month contract, hes worth a chance.

if he still has the power and pace he use to have then he will be a huge assest to Manchester City

however did he not get a really bad knee injury then moved to a Saudi club so no idea what condition he is in now

He wanted Mpenza aswell - who was doing very well at the time. He saw him as the long term replacement goalscorer for Shearer.

anybody who actually believes Sir Bobby wanted to sell Shearer needs there heads checked, i suspose these are they same people who would suscribe to that of Sir Bobby having no control of the dressing room despite getting 3rd, 4th, 5h  :rolleyes:

Have you read Sir Bobbys book?

only the 5 times

What part of this suggests he wanted to bring in Mpenza without getting rid of Shearer?

"What are you going to do about Alan's contract here? If you did sell him for three million - and I'm not saying you should - I would get a striker in for one point two million whom I like very much. He's called Emile Mpenza - twenty-three years old, powerful and quick, with strong legs. He might be the future".

Also, If you've read his book you will know Shepherd turned down the bid from Liverpool without even telling Sir Bobby, he only found out off Houllier a few weeks later.

Who knows how we'd have fared with Mpenza, but sticking with Shearer wasn't exactly a howling success was it.

i hope you are joking?

he scored 111 goals in 5 seasons since then

Well he only played 3 seasons after the Mpenza incident, but my point was that, during that period, the team went into a decline, from which we're only just starting to emerge. That's more important than how many goals a particular individual scores.

Who knows how we'd have fared with Mpenza, but sticking with Shearer wasn't exactly a howling success was it.

i hope you are joking?

Well he only played 3 seasons after the Mpenza incident, but my point was that, during that period, the team went into a decline, from which we're only just starting to emerge. That's more important than how many goals a particular individual scores.

wish we had 11 shearer's tbh

i hope you are joking?

Shit keeper tbf

i hope you are joking?

Shit keeper tbf

class tbh

i hope you are joking?

Exactly. Some prefer a hero though.

What you seem to forget is, during the summer of 2001, Robson's first choices were Jeffers & Zenden. It was only when those two turned us down that we signed Bellamy & Robert. Just imagine what would have happened to us had Robson had his original plan?

What you seem to forget is, during the summer of 2001, Robson's first choices were Jeffers & Zenden. It was only when those two turned us down that we signed Bellamy & Robert. Just imagine what would have happened to us had Robson had his original plan?

Perhaps jeffers wouldn't have ruined his career had he chosen not to go to arsenal.

An excellent point and one that had never crossed my mind before now... it adds a lot of credence to other debates regarding Roeder/Shepherd as well in regards to transfers. It's like how people perceive Martins as our second choice behind Kuyt, and that's not turning out so bad either at the minute.

Jeffers and Zenden could have been mint here, like, but of course we'll never know.