Berbatov for Toon

Guest sicko2ndbest

Over-rated, how !!?

I think it was Tony Cascarino who wrote an article earlier in the season saying that Berbatov very rarely scores against better defences, if you look at his record for both Spurs and Bulgaria then it seems Cascarino has hit the nail on the head.

Good player though but needs a better goalscorer than Defoe next to him.

Over-rated, how !!?

I think it was Tony Cascarino who wrote an article earlier in the season saying that Berbatov very rarely scores against better defences, if you look at his record for both Spurs and Bulgaria then it seems Cascarino has hit the nail on the head.

Good player though but needs a better goalscorer than Defoe next to him.

Yep, Im sure his goals have mainly been against poor teams this season. He does have a problem scoring away from home aswell. He's got a great first touch but he does lack pace

Agree...

Don't want him, hes the sort of player i would hate to see in a Black and White shirt, woeful work ethic and arrogant for such a average player.

His work rate is shocking particularly away from home, ZERO away goals in his first 5 months this season would back that up.

And if his performance at St James this season is anything to go by i would not even look at him as a potential signing he was absolutely woeful.

A decent 3rd Choice Striker behind Michael Owen and Obafemi Martins though.

I didnt know that he is a Newcastle fan.Not sure if I can believe it or the rumours,but if assuming that it is indeed true,I would really love to have him here though I dont think that will happen in the near future.

Ever since he signed for Spurs, there have been numerous articles that he was a Newcastle fan and Alan Shearer was his idol.  This is one I've copied, mainly because it was the most recent:

In an age when footballers are branded greedy thugs who do not give a monkey’s about anyone else, Bulgarian international Berbatov stands out from the crowd.

He does not see himself as a latter-day hero and, indeed, has shyly fended off questions all season about what his armband signifies.

But as he prepared to face Chelsea in Sunday's FA Cup quarter-final tie Berber, as he is known to his White Hart Lane team-mates, broke his silence for the first time.

Berbatov explained: “We have Bulgarian medical workers in Libya facing the death penalty because they are accused of poisoning 400 children with AIDs.

“I am trying to show support because my mother is a nurse and Bulgarians want to show the world these nurses are not alone.”

The Bulgarian nurses and a Palestinian doctor were sentenced to death in 2000 but a series of appeals have managed to stave off execution by firing squad.

All evidence points to their innocence, with experts insisting the damage was done before they arrived with lack of proper medical equipment at Benghazi’s al-Fateh hospital.

Many believe the medics are part of a stitch-up, caught in a wider political game.

Berbatov added: “Bulgarian players wear the special armband when they represent the national team. We are trying to free the nurses because we believe that they are innocent.”

The striker revealed he gets away from all the pressures of modern-day football by drawing. He said: “Away from football, I’m a big fan of movies. I also like to draw.

“When I have time I like to do pencil drawings because it’s nice and relaxing.

“As long as I can remember I’ve always been able to draw. I just sit and draw stuff if I’m in the mood. I try to be an artist on the pitch on and off it!”

Berbatov has seen his opposite number on Sunday — Chelsea hitman Didier Drogba — develop into almost the complete striker.

He said: “When Drogba came here he was still developing because I saw many games of his when he was in Marseille.

“He’s now at the level where he’s almost the best. That’s why he wanted to come to England — like me, he wanted to develop.”

Berber’s big hero in English football is Alan Shearer.

He added: “I really loved watching Shearer. He was the best goalscorer in England.

“I was really hoping to play against him when I came to England but sadly he retired.”

Berbatov has grabbed 16 goals for Tottenham this season and is automatic choice up front for boss Martin Jol.

He reckons his free-kick goal at West Ham last Sunday was his best. He said: “The goal against West Ham really pleased me.

“It was from a free-kick and came in one of the most exciting games I’ve ever played in. It had everything — goals, scoring opportunities, everybody was giving 100 per cent.

“That was also the first free-kick I have taken for Tottenham. I’ve done it many times for my national team but, until then, not for my club.”

Berbatov admits he did not appreciate the passion of the FA Cup until he arrived in a £10.8million move from Germans Bayer Leverkusen.

He said: “I wasn’t aware of the FA Cup final when I was growing up, but I know now that to reach the final would be something unbelievable.

“Every club still in the cup wants to be the first to lift the trophy at the new Wembley and if we can do that it will be wonderful.

“But we have a couple of obstacles until we can get to the final. Beating Chelsea? It’s not mission impossible.”

Spurs finally ended their Chelsea jinx by beating them 2-1 in the Premiership back in November.

Berbatov added: “It gives us more self-belief — as a striker it’s important to have that and we’re creating chances.

“We beat them at home, but it’ll be difficult to go there. But we have a chance.

“Maybe, for some of the smallest teams, it is impossible but I don’t think Tottenham are a small team.

“We’re not going there thinking we’re going to lose, we go there with self-belief.

“Everybody knows it’ll be very difficult but, hey, they’ve got 11 players, we’ve got 11 — we’ll see who’s going to win.”

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390000-2007110469,00.html

Guest optimistic nit

great player. where owen is all about movement and finishing, martins is all about power and pace, berbatov is all about teqnique and control. it would be the complete strikeforce.

Guest kingdawson

Agree...

Don't want him, hes the sort of player i would hate to see in a Black and White shirt, woeful work ethic and arrogant for such a average player.His work rate is shocking particularly away from home, ZERO away goals in his first 5 months this season would back that up.

And if his performance at St James this season is anything to go by i would not even look at him as a potential signing he was absolutely woeful.

A decent 3rd Choice Striker behind Michael Owen and Obafemi Martins though.

Arrogant? where do you get this from?

Guest andynufc84

Kingdawson, in our home game V Spurs Berbatov looked like he couldn't be fecked.

I think he is a bloody awesome player as he's clearly settled into the English game, the bloke is quality without a doubt

Guest kingdawson

Kingdawson, in our home game V Spurs Berbatov looked like he couldn't be fecked.

I think he is a bloody awesome player as he's clearly settled into the English game, the bloke is quality without a doubt

tbh sometimes it does look like he's not trying hard enough (away from home), but most of the time its due to the team not creating enough chances for him. That dosent make him an "arrogant" player though and i fail to see any evidence to back gallowgate's claims.

I don't think Berbatov is arrogant at all. And I don't think he is not trying hard enough. Just see the game against Bolton, Berbatov was absolutely immense. If he is any lazy he could have ample excuses  to be lazy since he was a lone striker due to sent off of Keane.

Would definitely love to have Berbatov here in Newcatle United. Awesome buy.

Guest andynufc84

tbh sometimes it does look like he's not trying hard enough (away from home), but most of the time its due to the team not creating enough chances for him. That dosent make him an "arrogant" player though and i fail to see any evidence to back gallowgate's claims.

I think he has this arrogance about him, ive seen him play a few times and he saunters around the pitch sometimes - people may get the impression he is being lazy but I think thats just his style. Watched him in europe the other night, I think his first touch and vision are quality.

In the game at SJP when he played you are right in saying he did get very little, the likes of Huddlestone couldn't provide it. But at the same time he didn't appear to be interested in getting involved to make something hapen.

Still would have him hear in a shot..no chance of it happening unfortunately

In the game at SJP I thought he was one of the better Spurs players

not saying much

Spurs were definitely a better team than us. Their defense, Dawson and Robinson in particular, let them down massively however.

In the game at SJP I thought he was one of the better Spurs players

not saying much

Spurs were definitely a better team than us. Their defense, Dawson and Robinson in particular, let them down massively however.

the game up here ? you been out tonight ?

Agreed. Some fans (rarely supporters) like to pin this kind of crap on players, sadly inculuding our own, and with little or no evidence. Fair play to them, I assume it gives them a warm glow that someone, however nonsensicle, cannot be as rabid to 'the cause' as themselves.

Guest magpies_rawk

i doubt he'd be the sort of player Real and Barca would want. He functions best as a target man with great first touch, good vision, ability to head the ball and of course score the odd goal. His worth isn't to be judged by the number of goals he scores... he may find it harder against tough defenses, but who wouldn't? the good thing about him is that defenders will watch him more closely, thus giving other players more space.

Lazy and arrogant? Arrogant maybe. not exactly lazy if u ask me. he sure doesn't run himself to the ground or pester defenders the way tevez does, but he delivers the goods upfront and thats all that matters when u are a striker shurely?