Roy Keane or Glenn Roeder?

Guest thenorthumbrian

Guest thenorthumbrian

The way things are going at the moment it looks like Sunderland have a good chance of promotion.

If all things were equal in terms of wages etc I think Keane would be a bigger draw for players comimg to the North East than Roeder.

It worries me that he has a reputation in football as a winner, unlike Roeder.

Been impressed with Keane tbh. Not only has he done really well with the team, but he's coming across especially well in interviews etc. I'd always thought of him as knob-head, but he's coming across as quite a likeable guy! :o

Been impressed with Keane tbh. Not only has he done really well with the team, but he's coming across especially well in interviews etc. I'd always thought of him as knob-head, but he's coming across as quite a likeable guy! :o

What was you expecting? Keane to be shouting and swearing in his interviews? Do you rate Steve Bruce aswell? He's doing well in the championship

No, I expected him to be dead grumpy and rude like he always was as a player. He's discovered a friendly side to him!

Steve Bruce isn't a bad manager, got Birmingham promoted and established for a few years in the Prem, they were shit last season but he'd doing well again now.

Guest Knightrider

Lets see, in the red & white corner we have a young, untried, untested, inexperienced former great player doing well in the Championship having spent a few bob for that level, while in the Black & White corner we have a mature, somewhat tried and tested, yet inexperienced half decent former player doing well enough in the Premiership and EUROPE with a big club where the pressure is immense. I'll choose Glenn Roeder thank you.

That said, that doesn't mean Roy Keane isn't going to become a good manager or someone better than Roeder. For what it is worth I think one day, he will, but just because he has sunderland flying at the moment doesn't mean he's anything special or that is any real indicator regarding his or indeed their futuer. Mick McCarthy took them up automatically, and is doing just as good a job at Wolves as Keane is doing at the mackems, without the funds the Irishman has had (good money by Championship standards), yet he is a poor manager. Steve Bruce has Birmingham top, is actually proven in the Premiership, yet I wouldn't swap him for Roeder neither.

Keane and the mackems have achieved nowt yet, their run is no different to Palace's under Dowie when they went up, or Watford last season, or a host of other clubs over the years. Now if he can get them promoted, keep them up and start challenging for regular European spots, then get excited. But even then, that isn't a real indicator either, as other managers have done similar things only to find their true level. Souness took Blackburn back up, finished in the top 6 twice and won a trophy, before nearly relegating them and us after we foolishly appointed him. What about Roy Evans, statistically he was Liverpool's best manager since the Premiership began, league finish wise anyway, or John Gregory at Villa, or how about that other Irishman, David O'Leary?

I noticed the Chronicle were trying to compare him to Keegan, or asked whether he can be their KK, he may become a better all-round manager than KK in time (likewise he may not, indeed the odds are against him) but he'll never do as good a job for the mackems as KK did for us, even if he does prove to be in KK's class, he'll be off before too long anyway as soon as the Man Utd job, Celtic or Ireland job came calling.

No, I expected him to be dead grumpy and rude like he always was as a player. He's discovered a friendly side to him!

Steve Bruce isn't a bad manager, got Birmingham promoted and established for a few years in the Prem, they were s*** last season but he'd doing well again now.

Signed Emile Heskey for £6M odd and bought Clinton Morrison + Andy Johnson the other way.

Lets see, in the red & white corner we have a young, untried, untested, inexperienced former great player doing well in the Championship having spent a few bob for that level, while in the Black & White corner we have a mature, somewhat tried and tested, yet inexperienced half decent former player doing well enough in the Premiership and EUROPE with a big club where the pressure is immense. I'll choose Glenn Roeder thank you.

That said, that doesn't mean Roy Keane isn't going to become a good manager or someone better than Roeder. For what it is worth I think one day, he will, but just because he has sunderland flying at the moment doesn't mean he's anything special or any real indicator. Mick McCarthy took them up automatically, and is doing just as good a job at Wolves as Keane is doing at the mackems, without the funds the Irishman has had (good money by Championship standards), yet he is a poor manager. Steve Bruce has Birmingham top, is actually proven in the Premiership, yet I wouldn't swap him for Roeder.

Keane and the mackems have achieved nowt yet, there run is no different to Palace's under Dowie when they went up, or Watford last season, or a host of other clubs over the years. Now if he can get them promoted, keep them up and start challenging for regular European spots, then get excited. But even then, that isn't a real indicator either, as other managers have done similar things only to find their true level. Souness took Blackbuirn back up, finished in the top 6 twice and won a trophy, before nearly relegating them and us after we foolishly appointed him. What about Roy Evans, statistically he was Liverpool's best manager since the Premiership began, league finish wise, John Gregory at Villa, or how about that other Irishman, David O'Leary?

I noticed the Chronicle were trying to compare him to Keegan, or asked whether he can be their KK, he may become a better all-round manager than KK in time (likewise he may not, indeed the odds are against him) but he'll never do as good a job for the mackems as KK did for us, even if he does prove to be in KK's class, he'll be off before too long anyway as soon as the Man Utd job, Celtic or Ireland job came calling.

I'm struggling to find much specific to Roy Keane in your post, just lazy 'comparisons' to managers that did well in the Championship and failed in the Premiership.

Keane has a lot of contacts in the game, he commands respect from just about everyone, he has the pulling power of being a former World class player, he spent a decade under the management of one of the best managers of all time and, in general, he seems like a fairly intelligent football man to me.

Like I said, he is an up-and-comer yet to prove himself.  Roeder is a man who has shown his many inadequacies already.

If nothing else, I'd like to take a chance and try to do something great rather than plod along uninspired and bored in the middle of the table.

Guest Knightrider

BTW KK's record: Saved the club from relegation, won promotion in first full season, finished 3rd in debut Premiership season and qualified for Europe, finished 6th the following season, then almost won us the league title the next while taking us to the quarters of the UEFA Cup somewhere in the middle of it all and by the time he walked away, we were a few points off top. And that isn't even mentioning the football we played, and the other transformations. KK created a new club here, from scratch.

If Keane achieves half of that, he'll have done a great job, if he does the same or betters it, he'll be up there with anyone. Can't see it myself like, but you never know. In reality I think he'll become another David Moyes type of manager myself. Mark Hughes I fancy to go all the way, I think he has the personal skills to boot his other skills which Keane lacks IMO, things which separates the cream from the crop.

Guest Knightrider

That said, that doesn't mean Roy Keane isn't going to become a good manager or someone better than Roeder. For what it is worth I think one day, he will, but just because he has sunderland flying at the moment doesn't mean he's anything special or any real indicator. Mick McCarthy took them up automatically, and is doing just as good a job at Wolves as Keane is doing at the mackems, without the funds the Irishman has had (good money by Championship standards), yet he is a poor manager. Steve Bruce has Birmingham top, is actually proven in the Premiership, yet I wouldn't swap him for Roeder.

Keane and the mackems have achieved nowt yet, there run is no different to Palace's under Dowie when they went up, or Watford last season, or a host of other clubs over the years. Now if he can get them promoted, keep them up and start challenging for regular European spots, then get excited. But even then, that isn't a real indicator either, as other managers have done similar things only to find their true level. Souness took Blackbuirn back up, finished in the top 6 twice and won a trophy, before nearly relegating them and us after we foolishly appointed him. What about Roy Evans, statistically he was Liverpool's best manager since the Premiership began, league finish wise, John Gregory at Villa, or how about that other Irishman, David O'Leary?

I'm struggling to find much specific to Roy Keane in your post, just lazy 'comparisons' to managers that did well in the Championship and failed in the Premiership.

Keane has a lot of contacts in the game, he commands respect from just about everyone, he has the pulling power of being a former World class player, he spent a decade under the management of one of the best managers of all time and, in general, he seems like a fairly intelligent football man to me.

Like I said, he is an up-and-comer yet to prove himself.  Roeder is a man who has shown his many inadequacies already.

If nothing else, I'd like to take a chance and try to do something great rather than plod along uninspired and bored in the middle of the table.

Souness was a great player, had great contacts, commanded respect, he spent a decade under great managers, he won it all. Like Keane, fair enough comparison for you?

Souness was a great player, had great contacts, commanded respect, he spent a decade under great managers, he won it all. Like Keane, fair enough comparison for you?

All that proves is that, despite having a lot of advantages to get ahead in management, Souness didn't have the intelligence to use it to his advantage enough.  I think that Keane does and the gamble would be well worth it.

I think the Souness comparison is very fair. Despite him being a terrible manager (especially for us) he seemed very rational in his interviews and has many of the same qualities that Keane does. Well spotted HTT.

Not convinced about Keane and this may sound petty and narrow minded but I would never want Bruce or Keane to be our manager EVER because of who they are and what they represent. I think in this case I would probably be in the majority opinion of Newcastle supporters.

I agree with the Souness thing, people put a lot into this "born winner" bollocks but how many great managers were great players? I bet its not many so I don't see why Keane being this "born winner" carries soo much weight in peoples arguments.

Guest Knightrider

All that proves is that, despite having a lot of advantages to get ahead in management, Souness didn't have the intelligence to use it to his advantage enough.  I think that Keane does and the gamble would be well worth it.

I'm providing real life examples to try and assess Keane's prospects at both ends of the spectrum, but somehow that is lazy, yet you offer just a hunch...

I'll stick to my lazy comparisons thank you.

Guest kingdawson

Steve Bruce isn't a bad manager, got Birmingham promoted and established for a few years in the Prem, they were s*** last season but he'd doing well again now.

Signed Emile Heskey for £6M odd and bought Clinton Morrison + Andy Johnson the other way.

;D ;Dprobably the worst piece of transfer business ever. He actually gave Palace 4 million pounds as well as johnson. What a clown.

Guest Knightrider

I think the Souness comparison is very fair. Despite him being a terrible manager (especially for us) he seemed very rational in his interviews and has many of the same qualities that Keane does. Well spotted HTT.

Not convinced about Keane and this may sound petty and narrow minded but I would never want Bruce or Keane to be our manager EVER because of who they are and what they represent. I think in this case I would probably be in the majority opinion of Newcastle supporters.

It is very valid in my opinion. Souness' start to management was very successful and after a blip at Liverpool, more success followed via Southampton and Blackburn. Indeed, take away his final season at Blackburn, based on his CV and profile, he looked every inch a decent manager. As ever though everyone and everything finds their true level. We don't know Keane's yet, even if he takes sunderland up and keeps them there, it would be foolish to think he's cracked it and on the road to greatness, I bet everyone was saying the same about Souness and even Mick McCarthy during his successful spell in charge of the Republic of Ireland. He was being linked with the Leeds job, even Chelsea at one point.

Look at KK, he sadly found his level too.

Of course, Keane could actually become another Fergie or go all the way, we just can't tell, not yet anyway.

For the sake of debate however, I'd say the odds are against him and if I was a betting man, despite already stating I think he'll become a good manager and do well, I'd bet against him becoming another Fergie, and the same would apply to Shearer too.

That said, should he prove me wrong, I'd be more than willing to hold my hands up and accept I was wrong, after all, what do I know. I once said Jon Stead could become another Shearer type striker and recently declared Ronaldinho to be nothing more than a Brazilian Lee Trundle :lol:

Guest Invicta_Toon

The way things are going at the moment it looks like Sunderland have a good chance of promotion.

If all things were equal in terms of wages etc I think Keane would be a bigger draw for players comimg to the North East than Roeder.

It worries me that he has a reputation in football as a winner, unlike Roeder.

In what bizzare world do you imagine a player sitting down with his agent and saying, here I want to play football in the NorthEast, I don't mind which club...

Guest Knightrider

Roeder and NUFC will always be able to attract top players, not always the right ones mind, because £ talks in this game. Souness signed Owen FFS.

I don't think Roeders problem is attracting players, I think his problem is being over cautious and taking too long to make the decision added to the fact he seems to set himself certain limits which makes it that bit harder (hence we don't sign people like Sol Campbell).

Guest Ridzuan

Well,I couldnt decide just yet.Roeder is a decent manager,so is Keane.As much as I prefer Keane over Roeder,he hasnt really manage in the big league yet like the premiership.I will judge him if he gets Sunderland promoted and see how well he can cope in the Premiership.