Navarro banned for SEVEN MONTHS.

Mr. Snrub

Valencia's David Navarro has been suspended for seven months for his part in the brawl at the end of the UEFA Champions League match against Internazionale last week, while Carlos Marchena, Nicolas Burdisso, Maicon, Ivan Cordoba and Julio Cruz have also been given bans.

The Spanish side advanced to the quarter-finals after a 0-0 draw at the Mestalla took them past Inter on the away goals rule.

However, pandemonium broke out after the final whistle as Navarro punched Burdisso and left the Inter defender with a broken nose.

Several other players from both sides got involved as the trouble spilled over into the tunnel, and Uefa has been quick to take action.

Both clubs were charged with improper conduct and have now been fined £250,000 Swiss francs (£106,000) by Uefa's control and disciplinary committee.

A number of individuals have also been punished following the examination of official reports and video evidence.

Navarro has been hit hardest for sparking the brawl, and he will not be allowed to return to action in Europe until October.

Uefa is to ask world football's governing body Fifa to extend the suspension imposed on Navarro to international level, meaning the ban would then apply to all competitions - including domestic leagues and national team fixtures - on top of Uefa club competition matches.

Navarro's Valencia team-mate Carlos Marchena has been suspended for four European games.

Inter duo Burdisso and Maicon must serve six-game bans, while Cordoba has been suspended for three matches and Cruz for two.

Uefa has opted not to impose a stadium ban on Valencia, who meet Chelsea in the quarter-finals of the Champions League.

Thing is, it's 7 months from now, that means he'll only miss the rest of this season and about a month of next season.  Which means it's basically only 3 months, which isn't half bad for hitting someone a dig and breaking their nose.  I think they knew what they were doing with that ban and made it seem worse than what it is.

Fucking hilarious brawl, none the less.

Guest JamesD

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Football/Pix/pictures/2007/03/07/Valenciaalarge.jpg

this photo is hilarious.

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Football/Pix/pictures/2007/03/07/Valenciaalarge.jpg

this photo is hilarious.

We should try doing that to Luque in training..

Anyway,I think seven month is a good amount of time,after all he did have half of the world laughing :lol:

Guest nufc 4 life

Burdisso gets punched (broken nose) vs Valencia fight type that in on youtube it shows the puch slowed down real slow. It is such a dirty shot and very cheap, he does it while he is running past the group of players, the Inter players see it and charge after him, if someone did that to one of my players i would knock them out tbh he also punches someone at the very end of it

Burdisso gets punched (broken nose) vs Valencia fight type that in on youtube it shows the puch slowed down real slow

Hilarious.

Someone needs to make a video of that with the Benny Hill music playing in the background.  ;D

Guest eyeball_tickler

the bbc say its a 7 month european ban, like a lee bowyer thing.

and what the hell has it got to do with owen hargreaves? he's telling people how bad it is, like he was involved in it.

Didn't Glen the tit try and sign him in the winter window?

We were linked, but didn't Glenn deny the story? He's pap anyway. But that video of him running away is brilliant.

Add a bit of pace back there, maybe GR was on to summit.  O0

i know its equivelent of 3 months, but christ that is unbelievably harsh.

Agreed, Ben Thatcher's assault on Pedro Mendes was far worse and he got a lot less, and also had previous form.

lol, from your username i guess you've not got all that independant an opinion tho!

i know its equivelent of 3 months, but christ that is unbelievably harsh.

Agreed, Ben Thatcher's assault on Pedro Mendes was far worse and he got a lot less, and also had previous form.

lol, from your username i guess you've not got all that independant an opinion tho!

True! lol

Should have been longer ban. He can't even pretend to say he was going for the ball, or that he'd been provoked or any other excuse.

same applies to a shitload of "tackles" that go on throughout a premiership season.