Terraces - time for a rethink?

Kitman
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Personally, I prefer to sit (age and laziness) these days, but I can understand the need for safe standing areas. Also, I think it has got to the point now where so many people stand anyway, that the sensible thing to do is to give it some legal status.

I can't remember the last time I sat at an away game, and it is starting to spread to sections of home support now (at our place, most of the Upper Holte stands).

When you get a mixture of people who want to stand, and people who want to sit in the same area, then it makes sense to formalise things so people who want to sit can do, and people who want to stand can do.

This came up on a City forum...I was all for it but someone made a good point. With all seater stadia, if there's any trouble all it takes is for someone to go and have a look at the CCTV, work out what seat it was coming from and they can easily identify who was sat there. But with standing, people could chuck their bottle of piss and then just go somewhere else, and the authorities wouldn't have a clue who it was. Hooliganism in stadiums has evaropated in recent times, wouldn't safe standing areas act as a license to be a dick? And even if in practice it didn't, would the  :police: want to take the chance?

Would personally love to see some limited standing areas reintroduced....maybe the lower tier of all of our stands. Could even use the terraces similar to Bremen's where you can stand or sit, definitely bring back some atmospehere aswell!!!

In L7L, near the away fans, we stand for matches, well the big matches, anway!

This came up on a City forum...I was all for it but someone made a good point. With all seater stadia, if there's any trouble all it takes is for someone to go and have a look at the CCTV, work out what seat it was coming from and they can easily identify who was sat there. But with standing, people could chuck their bottle of piss and then just go somewhere else, and the authorities wouldn't have a clue who it was. Hooliganism in stadiums has evaropated in recent times, wouldn't safe standing areas act as a license to be a dick? And even if in practice it didn't, would the  :police: want to take the chance?

This is the real reason that the government wont allow it, not the ridiculous public safety reasons they us as an excuse.

I don't see why that would happen at all

It's not like the old terraces, you're in a numbered/ticketed/designated space usually with a seat attached to the crash barrier behind you. It would just be exactly the same as it is now on that score