Hatters dismiss Newell

Guest icemanblue

Guest icemanblue

Luton Town have sacked Mike Newell after a run of five consecutive defeats.

Newell has been dismissed after The Hatters slipped into the relegation zone after just one win in 14 Championship games.

He had been at the Kenilworth Road helm for almost four years after a brief spell in charge of Hartlepool United.

But his dismissal comes on the back of heavy criticism of the Luton board, with Newell questioning where money from the sale of key players had gone.

Speaking after Tuesday's 2-1 home defeat to Hull City, the ex-Hatters striker demanded answers with regards to the sale of the likes of Carlos Edwards and Rowan Vine.

"Where's the £9million gone?" said Newell.

"Give that to me and I'll get five experienced players in, I'll pay them fortunes and we'll get ourselves out of it.

"It takes three or four years to build a reputation as a decent manager and three months to lose that reputation. But if you take the four best players out of any team it will hurt them.

"Give me the money and I'll replace them - but I can't.

"The reason we're in this position is because we've sold our best players. Someone should investigate what's going on at this club."

With comments like that, I think he knew what was coming!

Guest icemanblue

So he's free to become Toon Assistant when Shearer gets the job then. Least we won't have to pay any compensation now.

Yeah. I bet Fred would love him like! However, when it comes to Newcastle, what Shearer says is gospel.

seemed like a bit of a moaning buck-passer

To be fair he has had to put up with a lot of shit and he is right, they sold their best players but still expect results without putting the money back in!

If they took your pc at work (or whatever you do) and still expected you to get the same amount of work done would you be happy? Quite like Newell, he is an honest bloke who expects people to be honest with him.

seemed like a bit of a moaning buck-passer

To be fair he has had to put up with a lot of s*** and he is right, they sold their best players but still expect results without putting the money back in!

If they took your pc at work (or whatever you do) and still expected you to get the same amount of work done would you be happy? Quite like Newell, he is an honest bloke who expects people to be honest with him.

If they took my pc away I'd probably get more work done but i see your point. I honestly think it's the scouse accent which made the moans more annoying than they really were.

Guest Stephen927

I agree with him, it's impossible for any manager to be able to progress with his team if the best players are sold without any replacements coming in.

While personally I detest his comments on female officer (thought he was being sexist, perhaps out of sheer frustration), he has done pretty well football speaking. Revive Luton in impressive style, and he has to sell 5 of his best players -

Curtis Davies - Championship best defender

Rowan Vine - One of Championship top scorers. King of assist.

Carlos Edwards - January championship player of the month. Best Championship right winger.

Steve Howard - One of Championship top scorers. Currently top scorer for Derby.

Kevin Nicholls - Team captain.

I don't think Newell will be out of job for long, and I think he can definitely a good Championship manager at least.

My mate reckons Newell only spoke out about the female assistant because he wanted to air his comments about the board but knew it would get a hell of a lot more focus with his controverisal comments on her.

Guest Magic

I say we hire him and Ian Holloway as our management team. It's about time we had some proper entertainment at this club.