AZ Alkmaar 2 - 0 Newcastle United (Agg 4 - 4) - Post match thoughts

Dave

Guest MaartenTheMagicianMartens

Now we have to play Bremen. I saw them versus Ajax and I think we can beat them. Too bad we first got to play a home game though.

^-^

And yeah, I meant the fans at the match.

Guest Fetai

I think he means the fans at the match. There were some very annoyed people on here.

Indeed, you may be right  :). Btw, could you give me some information about the PL? I was wondering if there still is a chance for NUFC playing the UEFA cup next season.

I think he means the fans at the match. There were some very annoyed people on here.

Indeed, you may be right  :). Btw, could you give me some information about the PL? I was wondering if there still is a chance for NUFC playing the UEFA cup next season.

I highly doubt we'll qualify for the UEFA Cup again next year, despite the fact that we're actually quite close to those positions in terms of points. We may get in via the Intertoto Cup again though.

Guest Fetai

I highly doubt we'll qualify for the UEFA Cup again next year, despite the fact that we're actually quite close to those positions in terms of points. We may get in via the Intertoto Cup again though.

Which position is needed for being invited to the Intertoto Cup?

And how come you're such a big NUFC fan, Leeds United still is a great club imho, notwithstanding the fact that they are not doing very well at the moment  :tongue:

**** this. **** all my usual "don't be negative" or "it's not Glenn's fault" ****.

Roeder is ****. Most of our squad is ****.

****ing ashamed to be supporting this ****ing group of ****s with their **** manager.

The whole world can just **** off for all I care.

**** football.

Agreed. bluelaugh.gif

Which position is needed for being invited to the Intertoto Cup?

And how come you're such a big NUFC fan, Leeds United still is a great club imho, notwithstanding the fact that they are not doing very well at the moment  :tongue:

I'm from Leeds, but Newcastle has always been my club.

Now that I have had a day to cool off and I no longer have an AZ supporter at my house (who watched the game with me - I took defeat harder than I expected). A couple of observations:

This was just as much about van Gall and AZ winning the match as much as us losing it. They deserved to go through. Just like Mourinho has noted in his possibly fake "play book" concerning NUFC - Solano and Emre (to a lesser extent Zoggy) are important keys to our passing game. In the first game AZ tried to run in through the middle at pace or stay back and run at our full backs on the counter. This was disasterous for them because Solano can anticipate when and where attacks come from and he had ages on the ball to start movement ON THE GROUND (without hoofing it). Also Carr had much less pressure put on him and was able to stay back with no attempts to turn him (although he was AWOL during their first goal).

Fast forward to the second game: Van Gaal pinned our fullbacks and ran at them at every opportunity especially when we had posession which made Solano less creative (no time), panicked our CMs into hoofing it (again) and made Hunty look total crap.

With no Emre (until the 85th) and Solano neutralised we could not keep the ball on the ground or scrape more than two passes together. Butt and Parker are not good at creating anything - we know this - so we would then need to depend on the wingers or wide men - Dyer creates space through contsant movement but is not a great visionary so that leads us to Duff and our expectations. We desperately needed Duff to show up for this game and I think Roeder and the rest of the team knew this and when he went and had a poor game it fell apart for us. Roeder's second half game plan was probably: give the ball to Duff on the ground and he'll try to start something with Sibi, when this failed the CBs panicked and started leaving Duff out of the equation - that panic escalated when Parker kept repeatedly backpassing out of ideas and nobody to help him out on any creativity. And Parker started playing better the more desperate he became incidentally - which indicates poor instruction from Roeder and/or the coaching staff.

We still could have won this game but it would have been undeserved - we are an average team with some decent players without a coherent strategy or a consistant training regimin.

On a seperate note I woke up singing "No Silverware no silverware..." to myself makes me feel better.

Guest newcastle4life

Result didnt hurt as much as the teriible performance and negative tactics every body knew if we didnt score we were out.

We still could have won this game but it would have been undeserved - we are an average team with some decent players without a coherent strategy or a consistant training regimin.

That's exactly why Roeder will never be a top class, winning manager.

He does not have a system.

Look at all the top managers eg Wenger, Mourinho

they have a set system and they instil that system into their players.

judging from our performances the players have no clue. we just play 4-4-2 and have some sort of 'tactic' that may differ from game to game.  Honestly, I don't know what Roeder is doing.  What I am sure of is that Roeder does not have a system - or he cant get his players to follow it. I think its the former.