AZ Alkmaar 2 - 0 Newcastle United (Agg 4 - 4) - Post match thoughts

Dave

Given - 4 - great shot-stopper on the whole, has fuck all command of his area, or of the defence.

Solano - 5 - best Toon defender on the night. Also our best right winger for the entire game.

Bramble - 3 - shit, again. Positioning, decision-making, pace, awareness, intelligence. All attributes that Shambles once again proves he does not have. Get rid, for fucks sake.

Taylor - 3 - best central defender we employ, and you were shite. You fucking eejit.

Huntington - 3 - Goal-line clearance gets you an extra point, you were taken to bits. Still better than Babayaro.

Dyer - 4 - Poor. Anyone who said yesterday he was best at right wing might want to watch a video of the game. He was all over the place, but not in a "Gerrard, making the game go his way from all over the park" kind of way. Just in a "unable to grasp the concept of beinga  winger, or carry out the basic functions required, while still offering nothing when in the centre" kind of way.

Butt - 4 - rarely seemed to get round to doing his job. You don't mind a midfielder being quet if they are doing their job, but he didn't.

Parker - 4 - As Butt, neither of them could take control of the midfield. Also seems to be actively LOOKINg for the chance to twist around when he's on the ball. Pack it in.

Duff - 4 - Actually tracked back a bit, which is an improvement. Still nowt there, though.

Sibierski,- 5 - One player who actually looked able to cause them a problem, but too slow. Probably not even got one more season left in him.

Martins - 4 - Unfortunately, Awful Touch Martins showed up last night. Shocking lack of control of the ball. Unable to amend his game to counter the fact that the AZ players/manager had sussed him.

The Zog - N/A - got around 86 minutes less than he should have.

Emre - 5 - Awful set pieces, can someone PLEASE stop him from taking them. Runs around a lot, to no avail.

Roeder - 2 -  the ONLY reason he put Emre on was that Pattinson wasn't on the bench, i reckon, the fucking genius. Tactically absolutely inept, and without any clue as to how to amend our game to suit the actual match we were playing. Out-thought and out-classed byt he equally wrong-faced Van Gaaaaal. NOT a decent premiership manager, Roeder, and lets not pretend he is.

As far as I'm concerned, we had lost the game before kickoff.

The players were not tactically or mentally prepared. Roeder had absolutely no clue as to how to approach the game, and there was not one plasyer on the pitch ready to stand up and be counted.

From Sportinglife.com

Newcastle boss Glenn Roeder was left to reflect on two crucial decisions after his hopes of UEFA Cup glory were dashed by AZ Alkmaar in Holland on Thursday night.

The Magpies went down 2-0 at the DSB Stadium as AZ cancelled out their first-leg deficit to draw 4-4 on aggregate and progress to the last eight on away goals.

The outcome could have been different had AZ not been awarded a controversial penalty at St James' Park last week or Newcastle not been denied what would have been a tie-winning late goal.

French referee Bertrand Layec disallowed a Scott Parker strike for a foul in the build-up after the skipper had drilled home a low shot.

Roeder said: "You are relying on the referee to make a decision and he made a decision against us.

"There were too many players in the box at that particular time to make an accurate assessment.

"You have to trust the referee to make the right decision. But there is no doubt about it - their very, very dodgy penalty last week at St James' Park has cost us.

"But there we are. We have now got to look forward and not look backwards."

Newcastle arrived in Holland knowing Danny Koevermans' strike on Tyneside had rekindled AZ's hopes, and the home side needed just 14 minutes to reduce the deficit further when Shota Arveladze pounced from close range.

Kieron Dyer fired across the face of goal on 54 minutes, and Koevermans took full advantage when he headed home what proved to be the clincher two minutes later.

Obafemi Martins wasted another opportunity seven minutes from time, but had Parker snatched a quarter-final berth at the death, it would have been a huge injustice to the Dutchmen.

Roeder said: "I am hugely disappointed. I cannot sit here and explain how disappointed I am personally when players I would have expected to perform well have performed poorly.

"We trained here last night. We did not do too much, but what we did gave me a lot of confidence that the boys were in good shape to come our here tonight and play as a team."

It was a particularly tough night for 19-year-old defender Paul Huntington, who was given a torrid time by winger Julian Jenner, although Roeder is confident he will learn from the experience.

He said: "He is a strong lad, a mentally tough lad. He is just 19 years old and he is a central defender who had to play at left-back.

"Although it was not a good experience for him and not a good experience for anyone tonight, he will learn a lot of things from the game.

"In the bigger picture of his football career, it will not do him any harm."

AZ coach Louis van Gaal was thrilled with his side's second successive away goals victory.

He said: "The players have to believe. That is the biggest quality of a manager, to make the players believe in what he wants."

It was very disappointing because, although AZ were better on the night and deserved to win, I wasn't that impressed with them.

Dyer is far more effective playing down the middle, either as a withdrawn striker or attacking midfielder. He ended up drifting inside to try and make things happen, and while I don't blame him for trying to get involved (particularly as no-one else was producing anything), it messed up our shape.

Eventually Roeder realised the need to play Dyer inside, but he didn't want to bite the bullet and abandon the tactic of hoofing it on to Sibierski's head. The result was our shape got worse after the substitutions.

All we needed was one goal, and we ought to have got it. Their defence wasn't any better than the one that showed up at St James's. Overall, I think Roeder has done a good job, but he got it wrong last night.

It was very disappointing because, although AZ were better on the night and deserved to win, I wasn't that impressed with them.

Dyer is far more effective playing down the middle, either as a withdrawn striker or attacking midfielder. He ended up drifting inside to try and make things happen, and while I don't blame him for trying to get involved (particularly as no-one else was producing anything), it messed up our shape.

Eventually Roeder realised the need to play Dyer inside, but he didn't want to bite the bullet and abandon the tactic of hoofing it on to Sibierski's head. The result was our shape got worse after the substitutions.

All we needed was one goal, and we ought to have got it. Their defence wasn't any better than the one that showed up at St James's. Overall, I think Roeder has done a good job, but he got it wrong last night.

How has he done a good job?

Transfers - why did he completely ignore our most desperate requirements.

Tactically - inept

Substitutions - NOT PATTINSON YOU ARSE!

Motivation - seemingly zero

From Sportinglife.com

Newcastle boss Glenn Roeder was left to reflect on two crucial decisions after his hopes of UEFA Cup glory were dashed by AZ Alkmaar in Holland on Thursday night.

The Magpies went down 2-0 at the DSB Stadium as AZ cancelled out their first-leg deficit to draw 4-4 on aggregate and progress to the last eight on away goals.

The outcome could have been different had AZ not been awarded a controversial penalty at St James' Park last week or Newcastle not been denied what would have been a tie-winning late goal.

French referee Bertrand Layec disallowed a Scott Parker strike for a foul in the build-up after the skipper had drilled home a low shot.

Roeder said: "You are relying on the referee to make a decision and he made a decision against us.

"There were too many players in the box at that particular time to make an accurate assessment.

"You have to trust the referee to make the right decision. But there is no doubt about it - their very, very dodgy penalty last week at St James' Park has cost us.

"But there we are. We have now got to look forward and not look backwards."

Newcastle arrived in Holland knowing Danny Koevermans' strike on Tyneside had rekindled AZ's hopes, and the home side needed just 14 minutes to reduce the deficit further when Shota Arveladze pounced from close range.

Kieron Dyer fired across the face of goal on 54 minutes, and Koevermans took full advantage when he headed home what proved to be the clincher two minutes later.

Obafemi Martins wasted another opportunity seven minutes from time, but had Parker snatched a quarter-final berth at the death, it would have been a huge injustice to the Dutchmen.

Roeder said: "I am hugely disappointed. I cannot sit here and explain how disappointed I am personally when players I would have expected to perform well have performed poorly.

"We trained here last night. We did not do too much, but what we did gave me a lot of confidence that the boys were in good shape to come our here tonight and play as a team."

It was a particularly tough night for 19-year-old defender Paul Huntington, who was given a torrid time by winger Julian Jenner, although Roeder is confident he will learn from the experience.

He said: "He is a strong lad, a mentally tough lad. He is just 19 years old and he is a central defender who had to play at left-back.

"Although it was not a good experience for him and not a good experience for anyone tonight, he will learn a lot of things from the game.

"In the bigger picture of his football career, it will not do him any harm."

AZ coach Louis van Gaal was thrilled with his side's second successive away goals victory.

He said: "The players have to believe. That is the biggest quality of a manager, to make the players believe in what he wants."

Which fault is that Glenda?

Maybe the fans because they didnt get the best from the players or maybe Derek Wright???

No its all your fault Roeder so you can fuck off and go to the Academy in the summer asam

Tactically - inept

On transfers, I think Roeder has the same problem as Robson and Souness - a Chairman who's secretive, difficult to work with and tries to make his own mind up rather than relying on the judgement of his manager.

Motivation - I think the players generally play for Roeder.

Tactics and team selection - usually okay, although not at his best last night. I think there's an issue of expectations here. Following the Robson era, we still expect to see a top four side, but we're not any more. That's been chucked away and it'll take a long while before we get back up there.

But I admit, last night was a cock-up. As Roeder himself said, no-one played particularly well, and that's an indication that the team as a whole wasn't set up right.

Tactically - inept

On transfers, I think Roeder has the same problem as Robson and Souness - a Chairman who's secretive, difficult to work with and tries to make his own mind up rather than relying on the judgement of his manager.

Tactics and team selection - usually okay, although not at his best last night. I think there's an issue of expectations here. Following the Robson era, we still expect to see a top four side, but we're not any more. That's been chucked away and it'll take a long while before we get back up there.

But I admit, last night was a cock-up. As Roeder himself said, no-one played particularly well, and that's an indication that the team as a whole wasn't set up right.

ROEDER chose to not get a left back.

ROEDER chose to get a CB half a season too late, and not even a permanent one.

ROEDER chose to buy a player we didn't need a TENTH as much as we needed others.

ROEDER chooses to play Carr at left back.

ROEDER chooses to play Shambles.

ROEDER will choose to play SHola as soon as he is fit.

ROEDER chooses to play Dyer where he effectively destroys all supply from one flank.

ROEDER keeps playing Duff.

ROEDER throws Pattinson on as a tactical sustitution.

ROEDER is unable to change the way we play.

ROEDER mandates the "hit it to the big man" SHITE we play.

ROEDER has no ideas.

None of those things are anyones fault but Roeder.

Get the fucker out, he's rubbish. As many of us said he woudl be.

Tactically - inept

Why i have the feeling that you defend Roeder one way or another?

What kind of good job he has done?

He is poor manager and always will be

With him we will be always mid table team fighting for the one intertoto spot

Is that what you really want?

I dont think so

He must go in the summer if we want to be more then what we are now=average team

Tactically - inept

he didn't ignore them but was unable to get what he wanted/needed....unlike some previous managers who if they couldn't get the right one would just get anyone.right one or anyone,you decide ?

Tactically - inept

he didn't ignore them but was unable to get what he wanted/needed....unlike some previous managers who if they couldn't get the right one would just get anyone.right one or anyone,you decide ?

He was unable to get what he wanted in the summer and after that in January!@!@

How many transfer windows he needs to get the players he wants???

Maybe when Kuyt is 35 we will sign him

Roeder is after him for 1 year already

Guest BillyRay Valentine

thought we were very poor in possession, gave the ball away easily usually by trying to lump it up to sibierski, but what irritated me more than all of that was our complete lack of hustle. at st. james' we spent large parts of the game closing alkmaar down in their own half, allowing them no time to think or pick a pass - always an extremely effective tactic against a quality passing side, and lo and behold they lost composure and conceeded possession time and again - we scored 4.

why did we wait until we were 2-0 down with 10 mins to go before we remembered how we won the 1st leg?

another thing that struck me was we have no leader on the pitch, no-one who can really drive the team forward when things are going against us. so disappointing because despite the fact they passed the ball well alkmaar were there for the taking. once again we go out with a whimper and, sadly, are fully deserving of our fate.

Guest Wally_McFool

thought we were very poor in possession, gave the ball away easily usually by trying to lump it up to sibierski,

This long ball ,hoofing it  "WIMBLETOON" style of play has been creeping in more and more under the management of Roeder. This is one of the reasons I dont like the bloke.

Tactically - inept

He was unable to get what he wanted?? WE HAVE NO LEFT BACK. ANd a championship centre back. If he couldn't find what he needed, he should be taken outside and shot, because thats a core function of his job. The fucking idiot.

Tactically - inept

He was unable to get what he wanted?? WE HAVE NO LEFT BACK. ANd a championship centre back. If he couldn't find what he needed, he should be taken outside and shot, because thats a core function of his job. The f****** idiot.

finding and getting are two seperate things...yet again i'll ask,do you want us signing more sub-standard players for the sake of it or wiating to get someone you want ?

Tactically - inept

He was unable to get what he wanted?? WE HAVE NO LEFT BACK. ANd a championship centre back. If he couldn't find what he needed, he should be taken outside and shot, because thats a core function of his job. The f****** idiot.

finding and getting are two seperate things...yet again i'll ask,do you want us signing more sub-standard players for the sake of it or wiating to get someone you want ?

We had 2 transfer windows and we didnt sign LB

Why do you think in the next transfer window is going to be any different?

And no i dont want us to sign average players but i dont want Roeder to be our manager too

Tactically - inept

We don't even know he tried. Funny, he managed to find a player we DIDN'T need, but not soem we did. He had 2 windows, and he did fuck all. Not good enough.

Oh, and MANY MANY players are better than Babayaro and Shambles, so if he couldn't attract one, fuck him.

Given - 4 - great shot-stopper on the whole, has fuck all command of his area, or of the defence.

Solano - 5 - best Toon defender on the night. Also our best right winger for the entire game.

Bramble - 3 - shit, again. Positioning, decision-making, pace, awareness, intelligence. All attributes that Shambles once again proves he does not have. Get rid, for fucks sake.

Taylor - 3 - best central defender we employ, and you were shite. You fucking eejit.

Huntington - 3 - Goal-line clearance gets you an extra point, you were taken to bits. Still better than Babayaro.

Dyer - 4 - Poor. Anyone who said yesterday he was best at right wing might want to watch a video of the game. He was all over the place, but not in a "Gerrard, making the game go his way from all over the park" kind of way. Just in a "unable to grasp the concept of beinga  winger, or carry out the basic functions required, while still offering nothing when in the centre" kind of way.

Butt - 4 - rarely seemed to get round to doing his job. You don't mind a midfielder being quet if they are doing their job, but he didn't.

Parker - 4 - As Butt, neither of them could take control of the midfield. Also seems to be actively LOOKINg for the chance to twist around when he's on the ball. Pack it in.

Duff - 4 - Actually tracked back a bit, which is an improvement. Still nowt there, though.

Sibierski,- 5 - One player who actually looked able to cause them a problem, but too slow. Probably not even got one more season left in him.

Martins - 4 - Unfortunately, Awful Touch Martins showed up last night. Shocking lack of control of the ball. Unable to amend his game to counter the fact that the AZ players/manager had sussed him.

The Zog - N/A - got around 86 minutes less than he should have.

Emre - 5 - Awful set pieces, can someone PLEASE stop him from taking them. Runs around a lot, to no avail.

Roeder - 2 -  the ONLY reason he put Emre on was that Pattinson wasn't on the bench, i reckon, the fucking genius. Tactically absolutely inept, and without any clue as to how to amend our game to suit the actual match we were playing. Out-thought and out-classed byt he equally wrong-faced Van Gaaaaal. NOT a decent premiership manager, Roeder, and lets not pretend he is.

This will always be my abididng memory of this fuckwit.

Roeder bit is spot on sad to say.

We don't even know he tried. Funny, he managed to find a player we DIDN'T need, but not soem we did. He had 2 windows, and he did f*** all. Not good enough.

Oh, and MANY MANY players are better than Babayaro and Shambles, so if he couldn't attract one, f*** him.

If you really want to gain some insight into how transfers are organised at our club, read Sir Bob's book.

Guest Alex20

I came early from work bought some beer and chips prepared for the game

and saw the starting eleven, up until that moment I was very optimistic, with the right 11

we would destroy AZ, Fenerbache scored 2 goals in 30 minutes at alkmaar and could have scored

7, that's how awful az really is, you DON'T PLAY DEFENCE ALL THE TIME.

My 11 was something like duff on the left, with nzogbia at the back, solano at the right back with dyer in front of solano,

midfield would be parker with butt, and upfront would be martins behind him emre.

That 11 would have destroyed or at least levelled with AZ, you need control in the fckin midfield you can't play D

with players that can't keep a fuckin ball in possession. When I saw that pathetic excuse of a starting eleven, I knew

this game was going to be a killer for us, no way could we keep ball possession, and defence is not our strongest aspect.

If emre had started the game we'd be in the next round, because our midfield was awful at controlling ball possession, but

parker and co delivered the ball to AZ, they just kicked it away, no technique in our midfield, it was awful to watch,

I kept yelling at roeder and calling him all kinds of things, I said well when is emre and nzogbia going to come on,

after it's all done and said prolly, yeah 2-0 back and he brings on emre and nzogbia, FUCKING DISGRACE ROEDER.

I still can't believe we got eliminated, AZ is not that good of a team, damn you roeder, damn you.

Guest Alex20

I think AZ are capable as they will always score goal + awesome at home

Provided they get it right at the back I think they have a great chance of going all the way

Meh, AZ will get destroyed in the next round, mark my words.