Roeder says ref was to blame for Toon collapse

eaststar

Roeder says ref was to blame for Toon collapse

Newcastle boss Glenn Roeder was left to reflect on two crucial decisions after his hopes of UEFA Cup glory were dashed by AZ Alkmaar in Holland.

The Magpies went down 2-0 at the DSB Stadium as AZ cancelled out their first-leg deficit to draw 4-4 on aggregate and progress to the last eight on away goals.

The outcome could have been different had AZ not been awarded a controversial penalty at St James' Park last week or Newcastle not been denied what would have been a tie-winning late goal last night.

French referee Bertrand Layec disallowed a Scott Parker strike for a foul in the build-up after the skipper had drilled home a low shot.

Roeder said: 'You are relying on the referee to make a decision and he made a decision against us.

'There were too many players in the box at that particular time to make an accurate assessment.

'You have to trust the referee to make the right decision. But there is no doubt about it - their very, very dodgy penalty last week at St James' Park has cost us.

'But there we are. We have now got to look forward and not look backwards.'

Newcastle arrived in Holland knowing Danny Koevermans' strike on Tyneside had rekindled AZ's hopes, and the home side needed just 14 minutes to reduce the deficit further when Shota Arveladze pounced from close range.

Kieron Dyer fired across the face of goal on 54 minutes, and Koevermans took full advantage when he headed home what proved to be the clincher two minutes later.

Obafemi Martins wasted another opportunity seven minutes from time, but had Parker snatched a quarter-final berth at the death, it would have been a huge injustice to the Dutchmen.

Roeder said: 'I am hugely disappointed. I cannot sit here and explain how disappointed I am personally when players I would have expected to perform well have performed poorly.

'We trained here last night. We did not do too much, but what we did gave me a lot of confidence that the boys were in good shape to come our here tonight and play as a team.'

It was a particularly tough night for 19-year-old defender Paul Huntington, who was given a torrid time by winger Julian Jenner, although Roeder is confident he will learn from the experience.

He said: 'He is a strong lad, a mentally tough lad. He is just 19 years old and he is a central defender who had to play at left-back.

'Although it was not a good experience for him and not a good experience for anyone tonight, he will learn a lot of things from the game.

'In the bigger picture of his football career, it will not do him any harm.'

AZ coach Louis van Gaal was thrilled with his side's second successive away goals victory.

He said: 'The players have to believe. That is the biggest quality of a manager, to make the players believe in what he wants.'

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=414838&cc=3436

Blame everyone but urself....sign of a good strong manager?? i think not.

Embarrassing...

The ref was actually on our side and gave us more decisions all night! Scott Parker actually puts the ball in after the whistle when some players had already stopped.

This is awfully weak stuff from Roeder.

Dissapointing...

The penalty decision in the first leg was terrible, and it gave them a lifeline, but we knew what we had to do in the second leg, the opposition weren't of a higher standard than us, and we failed to do it.

Gutless horseshit. The man had 2 months in the summer and 1 in the winter to fix the fullback situation. The man had a week to prepare his squad for the job at hand. The man had ample evidence that Huntington was shaky at best playing at LB. The man had an opportunity at HT to change the squad and alter the tactics. He went in the locker room and did nothing. He is squarely to blame for the collapse.

Implying that the ref stole the game makes me feel as if he thinks his tactics were spot on. I was a Roeder supporter before, but this shit is disgraceful.

Spent most of the second half shouting "Milner" at the tv. Time and time the RW position was empty and Milner could have exploited that. Was so dissapointed yesterday, especially since we won't be in eurpoe next season.

Roeder hasn't got a ferkin clue, he's out of his depth and clutching at straws, the ref' could have sent Taylor off but he didn't, he wasn't guilty of any bias, I thought the ref' was as good as you get in Europe, I've seen a lot worse.

Guest elbee909

I'd have sacked him after the game and left him in Holland.

The way Van Gaal made him his bitch without even touching him makes me believe Roeder wouldnt last a week out there.

Now imagining Roeder done up like Alan Partridge - "do you want me to dance for you..." <shudder>

Guest Armchair Pundit

Rodent got confused, he meant the ref in the first half giving AZ that pen agaisnt Taylor which was clearly ball to hand. Doofus.

Rodent got confused, he meant the ref in the first half giving AZ that pen agaisnt Taylor which was clearly ball to hand. Doofus.

If it had of been the other way around then we'd have been screaming for a penalty, we can have no complaints.

Guest thenorthumbrian

Shut up Roeder, so many decisions have gone in our favour over the last few games whining about refs is really pathetic.

I wonder if Van Gaal fancies a crack at the premiership ?

Guest Invicta_Toon

Shut up Roeder, so many decisions have gone in our favour over the last few games whining about refs is really pathetic.

I wonder if Van Gaal fancies a crack at the premiership ?

he's second in the list of managers who have just signed a contract for managing a high profile club in their native country but secretly really wish Fred would just pick up the phone

Hitzfeld is number 1 on the list