What kind of central defender do you want?

juniatmoko

For me the kind of CB i want (must be priorities) is a CB with high athleticism, good pace, have leadership qualities, can bollocking his fellow defender... i.e. Gallas, Toure, Carrager, Vidic,  Boulahrouz (i think moronhinho trying to replace gallas by buying him). We must priorities that because i think Taylor still had hope because he will be the kind of Sweeper CB (good height, strength and heading) maybe Gooch also might be that sweeper (i still can't rate gooch because i haven't seen enough of him) but Titus must go away (because we already gave so much chance and still no hope)

So for you is there any other CB that catch your eyes to fill that kind of CB?

Ben Haim

Distin

Curtis Davies

Wes Brown

Lucas Neil

Anton Ferdinand(Roeder likes him)

I think we will probably sign someone from the above

Ben Haim i think he is Sweeper kind of CB (yes him if we ready to get rid Taylor)... Lucas Neill not CB.. no no not Anton! (worst than Bramble tbh)

someone with a footballing brain. davies, brown, ferdinand are not the thinking sort of defender that we need. it's no good having the physical attributes if you don't defend intelligently. i wouldn't mind if we took Woody back.

someone with a footballing brain. davies, brown, ferdinand are not the thinking sort of defender that we need. it's no good having the physical attributes if you don't defend intelligently. i wouldn't mind if we took Woody back.

good shout... intelligent! intelligent! that what we don't have on our CB! could anyone give another example maybe from foreign CB.

Guest nufc_geordie

The Woogate Bramble/O'Brien partnerships proved that as long as one of the centre halves is clever and can read the game you can train a monkey to play next to him. I would keep Taylor to play alongside a Woodgate/ Ferdinand/ Davies style defender.

Ben Haim

Distin

Curtis Davies

Wes Brown

Lucas Neil

Ben Haim i think he is Sweeper kind of CB (yes him if we ready to get rid Taylor)... Lucas Neill not CB.. no no not Anton! (worst than Bramble tbh)

I think Lucas Neil can play at CB

And why do you want to get rid of Taylor??? :uglystupid2:

we need an old head to come in organise and teach for a couple of seasons while we look around and pick someone who'll do for the future

roberto ayala would be a good example; if anyone knows how defend in the way we need players to defend it's an argentinian....they live for cynicism and being horrible b*stards on the pitch and that's what we need to instill in the likes of taylor, huntington and edgar right now....

at their early age we need to instill in them the VALUES of defending; to die before you let the man beat you; to foul in the RIGHT areas, i.e. not right in front of the fucken goal; to cut out balls at the near post and mark strikers in the box....

if we can get these ideas drilled into their heads from someone with the experience of ayala we'll be right enough

failing that go and sign 4 germans to make up a new back four; there's plenty of them and they all know how to defend...

Woodgate has everything I'm looking for in a defender, but Phillipe Mexes of Roma is one of the most relaxed players on the ball I've seen and he certainly isn't going to smash the ball upfield and praying for Martins to win a header. Intelligent and pretty good in the air to. Of course we'd never get him in a million years, but that kind of defender is what we need.

Woodgate has everything I'm looking for in a defender, but Phillipe Mexes of Roma is one of the most relaxed players on the ball I've seen and he certainly isn't going to smash the ball upfield and praying for Martins to win a header. Intelligent and pretty good in the air to. Of course we'd never get him in a million years, but that kind of defender is what we need.

bollocks, we need a horrible, cynical b*stard (or three) to turn us from the last decades soft touches into the next decades feared back four

sod mincing ball playing defenders, at least that lad ben haim everyone is harping on about is a bit of a hard case and doesn't take any sh!t

Ayla has alot of experience and would be good mentor for the young lads

He is class defender no doubt about that

Im concerned about his age though

He is 33 i think

He can play no more than 1-2 years

A Strong,Physical defender,who is good in the air and can tackle,but the most importent thing i want in any defender we sign is experince,and good concentration,we can find many decent defenders but the problem is will Roeder be intrested in signing them,i.e he did turn down the chance to sign Campell and Woodgate before..

He is 33 i think

if ayala couldn't make an impression on taylor et al in the 1-2 years he'd be there then at least we'd know they weren't good enough

right now we're in limbo 'cause we've got a load of young lads who MIGHT be good enough but we'll never know 'cause they're forced to play with fucken comedians week in week out

i made this point a while back - taylor didn't make basic, stupid mistakes when he first started playing in the team but time spent with bramble and so on has taught him bad habits....edgar will follow suit unless there is someone teaching him how to defend on the pitch

He is 33 i think

if ayala couldn't make an impression on taylor et al in the 1-2 years he'd be there then at least we'd know they weren't good enough

right now we're in limbo 'cause we've got a load of young lads who MIGHT be good enough but we'll never know 'cause they're forced to play with fucken comedians week in week out

i made this point a while back - taylor didn't make basic, stupid mistakes when he first started playing in the team but time spent with bramble and so on has taught him bad habits....edgar will follow suit unless there is someone teaching him how to defend on the pitch

Aye agree with you

When you play with good players 1st its more easy

2nd you are more relaxed and feel more secured

and 3th you can always learn something from the good and experienced players

A clone of Woodgate would be perfect

*Composure

*Good reading of the game

*Strong in the air

*Decent Pace

*Can look for a pass on the floor

the thing that gets missed about woodgateis that he wasn't the "talker" people think he was at newcastle in my opinion....he obviously did that but his reading of the game was so exemplary that he just saw off danger on behalf of his CB partner most of the time

he was never part of a solid rock partenrship like bruce/pallister, adams/bould or something but he was playing at such a high level (when he did play) that it masked the problems we had with our other players....once he was gone we felt it all the more

Someone with the football brain of everyones favourite lad, Titus Bramble.

titus bramble and the implication of any kind of intelligence should never be allowed in the same sentence

there should be a law against it

and against titus bramble perhaps?

Guest pistonism

I really want a defender that dosen't break my heart every weekend

Distin would be a good signing I guess

Guest Invicta_Toon

how many different kinds are there?

I thought the classification was just, excellent, good, adequate, poor, titus

I really want a defender that dosen't break my heart every weekend

Distin would be a good signing I guess

he's a slightly better version of bramble - no positional sense and can ball watch...on the plus side seems to realise his own limitations and keeps it simple most of the time

Ben Haim

Distin

Curtis Davies

Wes Brown

Lucas Neil

lucas neil is vastly overrated.

as for getting one Roeder likes, that'd be a bad thing, as getting rid of the manager is as much a priority as getting competent players in.