Those saying we need strikers rather than defenders...

Optimistic Nut

Because they believe we're not keeping the ball enough so the defence is under more pressure. On Thursday night, we had 46% to their 54%, that's only a 4% swing which for a European away match against a good side isn't the worst in the world. Yesterday, we had 65% possession yet still lost 2-0. You sure it's not just the fact the defence is utter, utter sh*t?

Goals change games. If you don't score when you are on top, you pay for it. So, yes we still need forwards/strikers.

Where on the field was the possession, how was the shape of the team ? Was it aimless sideways passing in midfield, or did we create chances up front ? The straight answer is no, so the conclusion is still that we need better quality forwards.

I don't think too many people think we need forwards to be honest, but I'm more convinced than I ever was, that we need a striker and an attacking midfield player.

First and foremost we need 1 LB,1 CB at least!!!

And then we can think about other areas

If you dont admit that you are out of your mind tbh

I think if you don't think we need a striker, you are out of your mind.

If we offer Sibierski new contract we will have:

1.Martins

2.Owen

3.Ameobi

4.Sibierski

5.Dyer

6.Carroll

Can you tell me where this new striker will play especially when you consider the option its possible that we dont play in Europe next season=less games??

Now will you admit that first and foremost we need to sign defenders?

no. Because basically, only Owen is good enough. Martins might be, and Dyer isn't a striker. That leaves 2 forwards, who may not play together.

If you dont' score goals, you go down.

I think that the team is poor in possession, and looks suspect at the back due to not imposing its presence on the opposition. The forward lacks support. If we do not sign a striker this summer - a good one - we will be in the s*** next year. Any money we have should be spent there. A good defender still struggles if they players in front of him are struggling. You can patch up at the back, if you have a leader. We need a leader, I'll give you that, but we will have to find one for a small fee.

These 2 sentences are pretty shocking and i dont thing anyone will agree with what you are saying

Its like saying that we are so s*** upfront that if we dont sign anyone there we will be f*****

What about our defence?

Your way of thinking is pretty strange i must say

I don't care if you agree with me or not, or anyone else for that matter. I think your way of thinking is very strange, I can't imagine why you want to watch a team that cannot hold the ball, nor do I understand why you think a good defender or two will do anything to the shape of the team other than continue to fight a defensive battle against too many teams, too often.

I respect your opinion

My opinion though is that you dont understand anything about football

Shame, but my opinion is that you don't understand anything about football.

How long have you supported NUFC BTW, who do you think are the best players you have seen play for the club, and why ?

Who is the best team you have seen play against Newcastle ?

Why do you think we didn't win the league in 1996 ?

As for the current team, why do you think that Ameobi, Sibierski, and Carrol [at the moment] and Dyer are good enough strikers for a team with supposed ambition ? You do have ambition, do you ? And you are aware that if Martins had been injured this season we would now be in serious relegation trouble - have a look at the league table and see how many goals the bottom teams score ?

Do you think that Martins and Owen will play together successfully ? You actually must do, unless you really rate Ameobi .... why do you think he is good enough ?

You have watched the team be outplayed by many teams this season I take it, scoring goals against the run of play, the away game at Spurs is an outstanding example. How do you think a defender will help us attempt to dominate these teams who are better than us at passing and moving ?

one consideration people seem to have overlooked a little is that martins could/probably will be off to play for nigeria in the african nations cup in the middle of next season

add that to the possibility/probability that owen might (ahem) have an injury (same for dyer), and that sibierski/ameobi and dyer are just not good enough anyway....

that kind of puts a new perspective on the idea of signing a new striker doesn't it?

new priority listing for me - LB/ST/CB/CM/RB...don't want much do i?

Because they believe we're not keeping the ball enough so the defence is under more pressure. On Thursday night, we had 46% to their 54%, that's only a 4% swing which for a European away match against a good side isn't the worst in the world. Yesterday, we had 65% possession yet still lost 2-0. You sure it's not just the fact the defence is utter, utter sh*t?

Goals change games. If you don't score when you are on top, you pay for it. So, yes we still need forwards/strikers.

Where on the field was the possession, how was the shape of the team ? Was it aimless sideways passing in midfield, or did we create chances up front ? The straight answer is no, so the conclusion is still that we need better quality forwards.

I don't think too many people think we need forwards to be honest, but I'm more convinced than I ever was, that we need a striker and an attacking midfield player.

1.Martins

2.Owen

3.Ameobi

4.Sibierski

5.Dyer

6.Carroll

Can you tell me where this new striker will play especially when you consider the option its possible that we dont play in Europe next season=less games??

no. Because basically, only Owen is good enough. Martins might be, and Dyer isn't a striker. That leaves 2 forwards, who may not play together.

I think that the team is poor in possession, and looks suspect at the back due to not imposing its presence on the opposition. The forward lacks support. If we do not sign a striker this summer - a good one - we will be in the s*** next year. Any money we have should be spent there. A good defender still struggles if they players in front of him are struggling. You can patch up at the back, if you have a leader. We need a leader, I'll give you that, but we will have to find one for a small fee.

These 2 sentences are pretty shocking and i dont thing anyone will agree with what you are saying

Its like saying that we are so s*** upfront that if we dont sign anyone there we will be f*****

What about our defence?

I don't care if you agree with me or not, or anyone else for that matter. I think your way of thinking is very strange, I can't imagine why you want to watch a team that cannot hold the ball, nor do I understand why you think a good defender or two will do anything to the shape of the team other than continue to fight a defensive battle against too many teams, too often.

I respect your opinion

How long have you supported NUFC BTW, who do you think are the best players you have seen play for the club, and why ?

As for the current team, why do you think that Ameobi, Sibierski, and Carrol [at the moment] and Dyer are good enough strikers for a team with supposed ambition ? You do have ambition, do you ? And you are aware that if Martins had been injured this season we would now be in serious relegation trouble - have a look at the league table and see how many goals the bottom teams score ?

Do you think that Martins and Owen will play together successfully ? You actually must do, unless you really rate Ameobi .... why do you think he is good enough ?

You have watched the team be outplayed by many teams this season I take it, scoring goals against the run of play, the away game at Spurs is an outstanding example. How do you think a defender will help us attempt to dominate these teams who are better than us at passing and moving ?

For sure they are better then your defence

I guess you have some kind of obsession about strikers

Aye,lets sign 2 strikers because Dyer and Ameobi are not good enough back up fro Martins and Owen :uglystupid2: :uglystupid2:

And next season lets play Carr-Ramage-Huntington-Babayaro  at the back :uglystupid2: :uglystupid2:

I really don`t understand some people on this forum. Granted our defence is shit but clean sheets don`t win you games. Every team above us have scored more goals. You know those little things that are the difference between 1 point and 3.  As I stated earlier in the thread there are teams below us who have conceeded less goals and teams above us who have conceeded more. Take a look at the league table.

This may change when we get Owen back but if he gets injured again.  I firmly believe we need both. Dyer is definatly not a forward. He sees himself as a Scholes or Lampard type. Just not as good because he can`t head a ball or tackle.

Havign a poor defence can cost you when going forward, always build from the back, for the rest of the squad to be able to push on and attack they need to have faith in the players behind them.

Its a 100% fact that we are way way short on decent defenders and you do not win games by concedeing goals.

Havign a poor defence can cost you when going forward, always build from the back, for the rest of the squad to be able to push on and attack they need to have faith in the players behind them.

Its a 100% fact that we are way way short on decent defenders and you do not win games by concedeing goals.

I think these teams may disagree

Bolton 5th

Tottenham 7th

Reading 8th

Blackburn  10th

You don`t win fuck all drawing everymatch either even if you never conceed a goal ever again!  I just feel that if money is that short than the defenders coming through the academy can only improve.  Ameobi and Sibs will never improve. 

Why are a decent defence and a decent attack always seemingly mutually exclusive? All i'm saying is that we've spent good money on forwards and attack-minded players for a good while now and virtually ignored the defence (barring Boumsong, which i'm not convinced wasn't just a favour to Souness's mate anyway). It hasn't worked. We need to distribute our spending/time on all areas of the pitch.

I am not saying ignore buying atacking players I just think 2 fulbacks should be bought first, also 1 CB as Moore is leaving. Then look at attacking players.

Very true, I do think a RB and LB are important. The CB`s arent as important as an attacker who can hold the ball up.

Thing is though loads cry on about wanting shot of this one and that one "sell Bramble", "sell Dyer", "sell Babayaro", "sell Carr".

Fine get rid of them but remember we still need players to add to the squad we have now, getting rid of players only means we will need to buy even more new players on our tighht budget.

The only players I would let go are Moore, Carr and Babayaro. Moore because he wants to leave, Carr and Babayaro because they are very poor and by far the 2 players we need to replace more than any other.

But even letting Babayaro go will mean we will have to buy 2 new LB's.

Carr can go as we have Nobby and Taylor who can play there but it would make great sense to buy in a new RB anyway and let Carr go.

We wonlt know until the season ends what players are going to want away anyway, and what players Glenn wants out. I really hope though that the club refuses to let anyoner leave until we have signed their replacement.

I think the best way to see which is more of a priority is by giving a general rating for the players (in their respective positions) in comparison with the rest of the premiership.

e.g. Chelsea

Cole (9/10) Terry (9/10) Carvalho (8/10) Boulharous (7/10)  = 33/40

Drogba (9/10) Kalou (7/10) Shevchenko (7/10) Cole (7/10)  = 30/40

***It's obvious that Mourhinhos priorities lie in bolstering his attack****

NEWCASTLE

Carr (5/10) Bramble (5/10) Taylor (7/10) Babayaro (6/10) = 23/40

Owen (8/10) Martins (8/10) Ameobi (6/10) Sibs (6/10)  = 28/40

****Our priorities obviously lie in our defense****

Look at the way chelseas defence and forward line points total compares....

1.Martins

2.Owen

3.Ameobi

4.Sibierski

5.Dyer

6.Carroll

What about our defence?

I respect your opinion

Aye,lets sign 2 strikers because Dyer and Ameobi are not good enough back up fro Martins and Owen :uglystupid2: :uglystupid2:

And next season lets play Carr-Ramage-Huntington-Babayaro  at the back :uglystupid2: :uglystupid2:

Well, I think you have an obsession with full backs. I don't agree that any money we have would be better spent on the defence. Football may be a fairly simple game when you are kicking the ball around for the pub on a sunday morning, and a clogger or two at the back will improve you, but the higher up you go the more important possession becomes.

Anyone who knows anything about professional football knows that.

I don't believe I have suggested playing those 4 players anywhere, but keep on making things up, are you trolling or something ?

I don't fancy the idea of playing Ameobi and Luque up front next season, do you ? Or going the whole season with Butt and Parker in central midfield either....stand by for another season of conceding possession and fighting a defensive battle against the decent teams if we do.

The only way you can beat these teams who outmove and outpass you, and get consistent results and performances, is to outmove and outpass them. This is what football at these levels is all about.

:uglystupid2:

HTL's shoestring post summed it up for me. Yes we need another striker but we may just have to do with ameobi and Sib. If Owen and Martins remain fit this will do for now. Its still a big area that needs improving.

1.Martins

2.Owen

3.Ameobi

4.Sibierski

5.Dyer

6.Carroll

What about our defence?

I respect your opinion

Well, I think you have an obsession with full backs. I don't agree that any money we have would be better spent on the defence. Football may be a fairly simple game when you are kicking the ball around for the pub on a sunday morning, and a clogger or two at the back will improve you, but the higher up you go the more important possession becomes.

I don't believe I have suggested playing those 4 players anywhere, but keep on making things up, are you trolling or something ?

I don't fancy the idea of playing Ameobi and Luque up front next season, do you ? Or going the whole season with Butt and Parker in central midfield either....stand by for another season of conceding possession and fighting a defensive battle against the decent teams if we do.

The only way you can beat these teams who outmove and outpass you, and get consistent results and performances, is to outmove and outpass them. This is what football at these levels is all about.

I know alot more than you about football because im ex footballer and although i played in the lower leagues i know thing or two about football

I doubt that you have ever kicked a ball

So please dont talk to me about football

So its only you that think its better for us to spend all of our money on strikers

End of thread

1.Martins

2.Owen

3.Ameobi

4.Sibierski

5.Dyer

6.Carroll

What about our defence?

I respect your opinion

I know alot more than you about football because im ex footballer and although i played in the lower leagues i know thing or two about football

I doubt that you have ever kicked a ball

So please dont talk to me about football

So its only you that think its better for us to spend all of our money on strikers

End of thread

Graeme Souness thought we would be better off without Craig Bellamy. He was talking bollocks, and he was an international footballer, and a great one too.

BTW, I am not the only person who thinks we need a striker before any other player.

You defend from the front, with good possession, support to the front men, and keep your shape with discipline and leadership at the back. Basic stuff.

Without a capable left back we are going to struggle to keep the ball in their half. We are soo weak down the left side its unreal and although Duff has been poor you have to feel a little sorry for him that he has either had Babayaro or a right footed 12 year old centre back "supporting" him!