Newcastle 0 - 1 Man City - Post match thoughts

Dave

I haven't read right through so am probably repeating this for the millionth time but I am truly lost for words by Roeder stating that fans don't undertstand how difficult it is to break down a defensive Man City team?  Hmm, it certainly is when you pick Parker and Butt as your two central midfielders, absolutely no creativity between them!  And if he thinks that Parker is a creative midfielder then he needs sacked immediately.  What a statement that sent out immediately to Man City - at home against one of the worst teams in the league and we are set up in my eyes with a defensive midfield pairing.

Additionally, letting Carr back in the team straight away should be a sackable offence on its own! :crazy2:

It seems to me that the team at the moment is being built around Parker and this attacking midfield role that he apparently prefers. That certainly dictates the choice of Butt behind him (no pun intended) and means we don't have much creativity or incisive passing from the centre.

I sense that it also affects Dyer, who is a key player for us and who we should be building the side around. I sense that Parker and Dyer don't combine together nearly as well as Emre and Dyer would.

This point about Parker has been made before, I know, but it feels like in this mini-crisis, Roeder is throwing his weight behind the wrong man.

Guest NSMagpie

It seems to me that the team at the moment is being built around Parker and this attacking midfield role that he apparently prefers. That certainly dictates the choice of Butt behind him (no pun intended) and means we don't have much creativity or incisive passing from the centre.

I sense that it also affects Dyer, who is a key player for us and who we should be building the side around. I sense that Parker and Dyer don't combine together nearly as well as Emre and Dyer would.

This point about Parker has been made before, I know, but it feels like in this mini-crisis, Roeder is throwing his weight behind the wrong man.

You're right, Roeder has given Parker the key midfield role., but as Parker is not a player who can create chances and bind the team together attack wise it's a flop no matter who is there besides him.

Dyer is a great attacking midfielder, able to create and dribble, but not a natural forward, as Roeder seems to think.

He should be one of the players NUFC count on in the future, but not the key player, IMHO. Key players should be several, not just one. And all of them should have consistency and ability to keep their head up when it's going wrong, which Kieron seems to be lacking, in spite of his undeniable extraordinary talent.