Crouch > Martins

Guest Gemmill

Guest Gemmill

Discuss.

I don't know how anyone on here can turn their nose up at Crouch when he looks much the better player of the two.  And before anyone starts, I'm not just on about his performance yesterday, or the fact he scored a hat trick and Martins played like Ali Dia's retarded brother.  Aye he's lanky and he looks a bit funny, but he'd be a lot more use to us than Martins - his touch for the size of him puts Martins to shame.  Martins' much vaunted pace is next to fucking useless because he's never even close to where he needs to be to take advantage of it, because his movement and reading of the game is so poor.

I'm not "writing the lad off" which I'll no doubt be accused of, but I reckon he's massively overrated by a canny few on here, and could well still prove to be a canny expensive flop.  I'm well aware he's done well in terms of goals for his first season in the Premiership, but I still think the jury is out on him in a big way in terms of consistency and overall contribution.  Unless he works on his touch and his movement off the ball (and I wouldn't trust Roeder and his team of "coaches" to improve this at all), then it's always going to be a problem.

We're bidding for him in the summer so you don't have long to wait Gemms. I personally don't rate his overall game, no pace, not much movement etc - but yes his fiinishing has improved. He also has something about his character, a certain fighting spirit in which I can see he has already learnt to overcome adversity (Noclueque anyone). For me they are different players infact two who could play well together.

The 'problems' with Martins is for me his intelligence and positioning, he is an instictive finisher and will never lose that. We just don't seem to buy clever players - Emre and Owen aside. Would I personally have him here - No. Could he be successful here I'd say yes.

Guest Gemmill

The 'problems' with Martins is for me his intelligence and positioning, he is an instictive finisher and will never lose that.

He misses far too many chances to be called an instinctive finisher for me, Parky.

The 'problems' with Martins is for me his intelligence and positioning, he is an instictive finisher and will never lose that.

He misses far too many chances to be called an instinctive finisher for me, Parky.

.....alright 'the ball is there I'm going to kick it really hard at goal' type of finisher. :lol:

But I hear you yes. He will get better though...But needs a good coach..etc...

Guest Gemmill

When he rolls around on the floor after he misses, is he hoping for a penalty or having a tantrum btw?

The one yesterday where no one was within yards of him and he missed and went down holding his knee and rolled around was just embarrassment I think.  Two seconds later he was up and walking with no sign of a limp or any pain.  It was like the schoolkid one where you miss from two yards and give it "Ayas man!  Me foot!" to hide your shame. :lol:

i can't understand also why from some people said that crouch is terrible... yes... he might be funny when he moves the ball through his leg... it just like spider playing football... but his control of the ball at his feet also has been more than average... saying he got no pace? where that came from those idea?... yesterday he play lone striker up front.... surely without having great pace he cannot do that role... not much movement i guess not also... because i see him much time also dragging opponent defender into right wing area... for me he still the best striker in england... i suppose the lack of performance this season is not because his play was terrible but it because not much playing time at liverpool in order to get kuyt has more playing time.. and dare i say also crouch is more lethal finisher than kuyt is.....

Agree with Gemmil here, Martins yes great player but some people make out hes a world beater, his touch is pretty poor and the amount of times hes been caught offside simply by not looking where the defence are. Having said that hes saved our ass this simple without a doubt. 

...if I was buying I would have bought Suzao over Kuyt/Martins/Crouch. But we only have one scout and he's still watching Luque. :lol:

yes suazo is good more than average striker.... but i am not sure about his intelligent playing... he did seem similar to martin... good poacher... just like defoe.. i'd prefer Luca Toni.... i heard some rumour that Luca Toni want out from Fiorentina in order to get twice of wages for his last few years of his career.... i heard also his current wages at Fiorentina is not more than 15 K/week... if i am not wrong?

...if I was buying I would have bought Suzao over Kuyt/Martins/Crouch. But we only have one scout and he's still watching Luque. :lol:

yes suazo is good more than average striker.... but i am not sure about his intelligent playing... he did seem similar to martin... good poacher... just like defoe.. i'd prefer Luca Toni.... i heard some rumour that Luca Toni want out from Fiorentina in order to get twice of wages for his last few years of his career.... i heard also his current wages at Fiorentina is not more than 15 K/week... if i am not wrong?

...just getting to that too old last payday stage...Not for me. :nope:

...just getting to that too old last payday stage...Not for me. :nope:

.... yet he still can score goal for italy and set up play O0

I think it's been apparent from early on that he has his limitations - poor touch and poor reading of the game - but his pace and strength can make things happen. It looks like we'll be short of funds for any rebuilding, and personally I'd sell either him or Owen. They're similar in many respects, and I don't think they'll combine well.

Crouch is a good player, but again similar to Shola, although far more developed as a player. I wouldn't have them both, and personally I'd like to see Shola given a proper chance when fit, and in a role that would suit him. It would also save on the £10 million that Crouch would cost.

Guest andynufc84

Discuss.

I don't know how anyone on here can turn their nose up at Crouch when he looks much the better player of the two.  And before anyone starts, I'm not just on about his performance yesterday, or the fact he scored a hat trick and Martins played like Ali Dia's retarded brother.  Aye he's lanky and he looks a bit funny, but he'd be a lot more use to us than Martins - his touch for the size of him puts Martins to shame.  Martins' much vaunted pace is next to f****** useless because he's never even close to where he needs to be to take advantage of it, because his movement and reading of the game is so poor.

I'm not "writing the lad off" which I'll no doubt be accused of, but I reckon he's massively overrated by a canny few on here, and could well still prove to be a canny expensive flop.  I'm well aware he's done well in terms of goals for his first season in the Premiership, but I still think the jury is out on him in a big way in terms of consistency and overall contribution.  Unless he works on his touch and his movement off the ball (and I wouldn't trust Roeder and his team of "coaches" to improve this at all), then it's always going to be a problem.

I agree with this.

But unfortunately I don't think Liverpool will sell him, simple as. I think Benitez will probably see Crouch as an excellent option to have in the squad - as he proved yesterday.

He may not be first choice for Liverpool next season but I think they will definately want to keep him around.

Crouch is an excellent footballer, he always seems to produce the goods when required. Would love him here but I can't see it happening.

Discuss.

I don't know how anyone on here can turn their nose up at Crouch when he looks much the better player of the two.  And before anyone starts, I'm not just on about his performance yesterday, or the fact he scored a hat trick and Martins played like Ali Dia's retarded brother.  Aye he's lanky and he looks a bit funny, but he'd be a lot more use to us than Martins - his touch for the size of him puts Martins to shame.  Martins' much vaunted pace is next to f****** useless because he's never even close to where he needs to be to take advantage of it, because his movement and reading of the game is so poor.

I agree with this.

But unfortunately I don't think Liverpool will sell him, simple as. I think Benitez will probably see Crouch as an excellent option to have in the squad - as he proved yesterday.

He may not be first choice for Liverpool next season but I think they will definately want to keep in around.

Crouch is an excellent footballer, he always seems to produce the goods when required. Would love him here but I can't see it happening.

They're buying Villa.

I agree with this.

He may not be first choice for Liverpool next season but I think they will definately want to keep him around.

We better not sell Crouchy  >:(  He's the last striker of ours I'd want to see leave. He is unique, he is invaluable to us, and has had a very good season despite being under-used.  I'd be gutted if we did sell him.  But hopefully we won't!

Aye, so they will have Villa, Crouch, Kuyt, Bellamy to choose from.

Benny like Mourinho likes to have two sides one a little more geared to the CL.

Squad depth is vastly overrated...

I think half the fans are happy that "Martins can score a goal owt of nowt man, we'll win this" , and he rarely actually does.

Ive said numerous times, we'll see what he's really like next season, when he hopefully has a proper strike partner alongside him.

He hasnt scored against the big boys this season, his Prem goals have basically came against the cloggers. When Shearer went 5 or 6 matches without a goal, everyone was talking about it, and saying he should pack in. It happens to Oba and nowt is mentioned.

Im not giving up hope on the lad either, but i also think at the moment he is over rated. We'll see next season...

I think half the fans are happy that "Martins can score a goal owt of nowt man, we'll win this" , and he rarely actually does.

Ive said numerous times, we'll see what he's really like next season, when he hopefully has a proper strike partner alongside him.

He hasnt scored against the big boys this season, his Prem goals have basically came against the cloggers. When Shearer went 5 or 6 matches without a goal, everyone was talking about it, and saying he should pack in. It happens to Oba and nowt is mentioned.

Im not giving up hope on the lad either, but i also think at the moment he is over rated. We'll see next season...

Aye, so they will have Villa, Crouch, Kuyt, Bellamy to choose from.

Benny like Mourinho likes to have two sides one a little more geared to the CL.

Squad depth is vastly overrated...

:lol:

Guest Gemmill

Martins' movement and anticipation is so poor that he's left using this amazing pace he has to catch up to defenders, by which time they've dealt with the danger.  If he would stop reacting to things and start gambling on them with a bit of anticipation (think Owen, v Nistelrooy, Larsson etc), he'd be ahead of the defenders and away before they knew about it.  He'll look a bit daft when he gets it wrong and goes too early or whatever, but he'll get it right a lot more than he does at the moment.  Needs coaching into him though - just the basics of where to be in relation to the centre halfs etc.  That pretty much sums him up for me.  Until that's sorted he's second rate.