What the hell's his problem??? (Alan Oliver related thread)

Guest hindu times

Guest hindu times

Starving Damien was a Duff ideaApr 2 2007

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

A right old load of Duffers. That's the only way to describe Newcastle United in their defeat by Manchester City at St James' Park.

For the second home league game in a row, United came up against a team which was unashamedly content to get as many men behind the ball as they could.

But unlike Middlesbrough's Gareth Southgate, Stuart Pearce instructed his side to try to catch Glenn Roeder's team on the break and they got their reward with only their second ever Premiership victory on Tyneside.

Yet United had the man who could have prevented this in Damien Duff who came back with two sparkling performances for the Republic of Ireland under his belt, and who looked in the early stages as though he could win the game for United off his own bat.

Especially as he was up against a lumbering, inexperience rookie right-back in Nedum Onuoha.

Story continues

ADVERTISEMENT

Duff showed that he had the beating of the 20-year-old Nigerian defender right from the off, so what did United do ?

They never gave their left-winger the ball. When they did just before half-time there was a sarcastic cheer from the crowd.

So if the fans could see that Duff was a potential match-winner why couldn't the United players?

As a result Onuoha wasn't even the worst Nigerian on the field.

Neither was Celestine Babayaro. I'm afraid that "honour" fell to Obafemi Martins.

In fact, United's £10m man was probably the worst player on the field and his performance was reminiscent of his recent displays away from St James' Park.

His only contribution to the game was to trundle a 12-yard shot wide just before Emile Mpenza, who was on his way to United before Sir Bobby Robson plumped instead for Carl Cort in the summer of 2000, grabbed City's winner nine minutes from time.

And can someone please tell Martins that his amateur theatrics when he makes a bad pass, which is often, only lifts the opposition. Nobody has scored more spectacular goals for United in his first season than Martins, and that includes the great Alan Shearer, but when he is not scoring then the Nigerian striker is virtually a passenger as he constantly gives the ball away.

If I was Roeder I would seriously consider selling Martins while he is still worth something, if it meant the money was used to bring in someone like Darren Bent, Dean Ashton, Peter Crouch or Ryan Babel.

For the second home League game in a row the only fans I could hear from the Press box were the away ones. But all the home crowd needed was a spark from Martins and they would have got going. It never came.

Mind you, Kieron Dyer was just as bad in what was probably one of his worst games in a black-and-white shirt.

The player who nearly won the game for United in one of his many comebacks when he came off the bench at the City of Manchester Stadium in November, was as lethargic as he had been lively as an England sub in Barcelona on Wednesday night.

I only hope we are not going to see a repeat of the Charles N'Zogbia syndrome, who has been in his shell ever since he saw his mentor Jean Alain Boumsong leave St James' Park, as Dyer's big pal Titus Bramble was not in the 16 on Saturday and will probably be playing his football in East Anglia or Portsmouth next season.

With Duff starved of the ball and Dyer and Martins ineffective, it was always going to be difficult for United to get their usual home win over City, and I would have wagered next week's housekeeping money on the fact that the only way there would be an away victory would have been from a set piece.

For apart from that moment in the first half when Mpenza hit the crossbar, City had been content to sit back.

But with Craig Moore sitting in the dug-out with an ice pack on his groin injury, the Belgian striker easily drifted away from the Aussie's substitute Oguchi Onyewu to fire in the winner.

On Saturday, Sheffield United are waiting to do the double over them and I would not bet against it happening.

The booing on the final whistle on Saturday for Glenn Roeder and his team was predictable. And fully deserved.

The United boss does not think United could be dragged into the relegation dogfight.

But the way United are playing at the moment, I can.

Martins was gash like. His passing has been awful all season, he really needs to work on it. I wouldn't sell him though.

Oliver is the first person i've heard agree with me on Dyer since Saturday. No one else seems to have commented that he was utter shite aswell, like stand out shit.

Guest andynufc84

A right old load of Duffers. That's the only way to describe Newcastle United in their defeat by Manchester City at St James' Park.

For the second home league game in a row, United came up against a team which was unashamedly content to get as many men behind the ball as they could.

But unlike Middlesbrough's Gareth Southgate, Stuart Pearce instructed his side to try to catch Glenn Roeder's team on the break and they got their reward with only their second ever Premiership victory on Tyneside.

Yet United had the man who could have prevented this in Damien Duff who came back with two sparkling performances for the Republic of Ireland under his belt, and who looked in the early stages as though he could win the game for United off his own bat.

Especially as he was up against a lumbering, inexperience rookie right-back in Nedum Onuoha.

Story continues

ADVERTISEMENT

Duff showed that he had the beating of the 20-year-old Nigerian defender right from the off, so what did United do ?

They never gave their left-winger the ball. When they did just before half-time there was a sarcastic cheer from the crowd.

So if the fans could see that Duff was a potential match-winner why couldn't the United players?

Neither was Celestine Babayaro. I'm afraid that "honour" fell to Obafemi Martins.

In fact, United's £10m man was probably the worst player on the field and his performance was reminiscent of his recent displays away from St James' Park.

His only contribution to the game was to trundle a 12-yard shot wide just before Emile Mpenza, who was on his way to United before Sir Bobby Robson plumped instead for Carl Cort in the summer of 2000, grabbed City's winner nine minutes from time.

And can someone please tell Martins that his amateur theatrics when he makes a bad pass, which is often, only lifts the opposition. Nobody has scored more spectacular goals for United in his first season than Martins, and that includes the great Alan Shearer, but when he is not scoring then the Nigerian striker is virtually a passenger as he constantly gives the ball away.

If I was Roeder I would seriously consider selling Martins while he is still worth something, if it meant the money was used to bring in someone like Darren Bent, Dean Ashton, Peter Crouch or Ryan Babel.

For the second home League game in a row the only fans I could hear from the Press box were the away ones. But all the home crowd needed was a spark from Martins and they would have got going. It never came.

Mind you, Kieron Dyer was just as bad in what was probably one of his worst games in a black-and-white shirt.

The player who nearly won the game for United in one of his many comebacks when he came off the bench at the City of Manchester Stadium in November, was as lethargic as he had been lively as an England sub in Barcelona on Wednesday night.

I only hope we are not going to see a repeat of the Charles N'Zogbia syndrome, who has been in his shell ever since he saw his mentor Jean Alain Boumsong leave St James' Park, as Dyer's big pal Titus Bramble was not in the 16 on Saturday and will probably be playing his football in East Anglia or Portsmouth next season.

With Duff starved of the ball and Dyer and Martins ineffective, it was always going to be difficult for United to get their usual home win over City, and I would have wagered next week's housekeeping money on the fact that the only way there would be an away victory would have been from a set piece.

For apart from that moment in the first half when Mpenza hit the crossbar, City had been content to sit back.

But with Craig Moore sitting in the dug-out with an ice pack on his groin injury, the Belgian striker easily drifted away from the Aussie's substitute Oguchi Onyewu to fire in the winner.

On Saturday, Sheffield United are waiting to do the double over them and I would not bet against it happening.

The booing on the final whistle on Saturday for Glenn Roeder and his team was predictable. And fully deserved.

The United boss does not think United could be dragged into the relegation dogfight.

Truth hurts doesn't it?

Story continues

ADVERTISEMENT

Truth hurts doesn't it?

So you want Martins out?

He could blame the midfiled for not feeding Martins with quality crosses and passes!! but oh no its another chance to have a dig at Martins because he is not Shearer.

Exactly. He has a go at them for not feeding Duff enough of the ball, perhaps if they managed to we'd get more out of Martins.

Guest Gemmill

As I've just said in the other thread, he could have been more scathing about Martins if he wanted to.  He was fucking shit on Saturday and his histrionics are really fucking annoying. 

He's spot on about Duff as well.  It was as if he'd announced before kick off that he'd shagged every one of his team-mates wives.  Nobody would give the lad the ball.

Still think Martins is better than Rooney btw, hindu times? :lol:

BREAKING NEWS: Oliver in disagreement with Roeder shocker!

We will sign in summer

Freddy Shepherd pledged today that Newcastle United will strengthen their squad for next season - on the day the club announced plans to increase the St James' Park capacity to 60,000.

Under Plc rules Shepherd is not allowed to talk about specific financial figures, but after four Premiership games without a win - or a goal - the United chairman knows only too well that new blood is needed in the close season.

And he must also know that pathetic performances like the one against Manchester City on Saturday will empty St James' Park, not get another 8,000 supporters through the door.

For what it's worth, I don't agree with Glenn Roeder's declaration that his side are clear of the relegation zone.

And before plans for next season are finalised, United still have plenty of work to do, starting in what is bound to be a difficult game with Sheffield United at Bramall Lane on Saturday.

United were at pains today to insist that the £300m development at St James' Park, which will bring an increased capacity, a conference centre, hotels and luxury apartments, is a package which is "independent of its own revenues".

Indeed, Shepherd told me today: "We know that the teams needs looking at in more ways than one and that's what we are concentrating on.

"The squad will be strengthened in the close season - and really has there ever been a summer when there have not been comings and goings at St James' Park?"

It was a bad day at the office for Glenn Roeder and United on Saturday and it makes you wonder how their former skipper took them to seventh place in the table and into Europe as the top English manager in the Premiership with this squad 12 months ago.

Not for the first time this season when United have had a bad run, bpth Shepherd and Roeder have found themselves under fire from despairing fans.

Roeder knows that he will be judged by his chairman on how he wheels and deals in the transfer market in the summer when he is finally given the chance to buy players to add to the only other two he has been allowed to buy - Damien Duff and Oba Martins.

But at the same time it has to be said that the only player not a full international in United's line-up against Manchester City was Steven Taylor - and he was their best player.

Roeder needs a good central defender to play alongside Taylor next season and it was significant that Titus Bramble did not make the 16 on Saturday.

And when he came on as a substitute for the admirable Craig Moore, Oguchi Onyewu was found wanting on the City winner from one-time Sir Bobby Robson target Emile Mpenza, while at the other end Gooch missed a simple header and the chance to earn United a draw.

Moore limped off with groin injury, and as a result there is a chance that he has played his last game for United. It has to be said that when he has been on the field the Aussie defender has never let the side down.

One player who will not be replacing Moore, despite reports to the contrary, is Man City's former United defender Sylvain Distin.

For, like another of his French colleagues Alain Goma who agitated for a move to London and went to Fulham, Distin will be playing at Craven Cottage next season.

:lol:

Guest teepee

what a cock - yes, lets sell one of our only performers of this season

i'd like to see anal oliver follow the fat one straight to hell!

That wound me up so much when i read that bit about Martins. The mans a fuckin prick. He is one person i would love to punch tbh.

Do you think he played well like?

Guest andynufc84

Story continues

ADVERTISEMENT

Truth hurts doesn't it?

So you want Martins out?

No wouldn't go that far

But he is total dross at the minute

Story continues

ADVERTISEMENT

Truth hurts doesn't it?

So you want Martins out?

No wouldn't go that far

But he is total dross at the minute

Agreed, but then so are the vast majority of the team. Olivers definitely gone too far saying that.

Guest Gemmill

He could blame the midfiled for not feeding Martins with quality crosses and passes!! but oh no its another chance to have a dig at Martins because he is not Shearer.

Martins takes responsibility for his own ineptitude I'm afraid. 

BREAKING NEWS: Oliver in disagreement with Roeder shocker!

We will sign in summer

Freddy Shepherd pledged today that Newcastle United will strengthen their squad for next season - on the day the club announced plans to increase the St James' Park capacity to 60,000.

Under Plc rules Shepherd is not allowed to talk about specific financial figures, but after four Premiership games without a win - or a goal - the United chairman knows only too well that new blood is needed in the close season.

And he must also know that pathetic performances like the one against Manchester City on Saturday will empty St James' Park, not get another 8,000 supporters through the door.

For what it's worth, I don't agree with Glenn Roeder's declaration that his side are clear of the relegation zone.

And before plans for next season are finalised, United still have plenty of work to do, starting in what is bound to be a difficult game with Sheffield United at Bramall Lane on Saturday.

United were at pains today to insist that the £300m development at St James' Park, which will bring an increased capacity, a conference centre, hotels and luxury apartments, is a package which is "independent of its own revenues".

Indeed, Shepherd told me today: "We know that the teams needs looking at in more ways than one and that's what we are concentrating on.

"The squad will be strengthened in the close season - and really has there ever been a summer when there have not been comings and goings at St James' Park?"

It was a bad day at the office for Glenn Roeder and United on Saturday and it makes you wonder how their former skipper took them to seventh place in the table and into Europe as the top English manager in the Premiership with this squad 12 months ago.

Not for the first time this season when United have had a bad run, bpth Shepherd and Roeder have found themselves under fire from despairing fans.

Roeder knows that he will be judged by his chairman on how he wheels and deals in the transfer market in the summer when he is finally given the chance to buy players to add to the only other two he has been allowed to buy - Damien Duff and Oba Martins.

But at the same time it has to be said that the only player not a full international in United's line-up against Manchester City was Steven Taylor - and he was their best player.

Roeder needs a good central defender to play alongside Taylor next season and it was significant that Titus Bramble did not make the 16 on Saturday.

And when he came on as a substitute for the admirable Craig Moore, Oguchi Onyewu was found wanting on the City winner from one-time Sir Bobby Robson target Emile Mpenza, while at the other end Gooch missed a simple header and the chance to earn United a draw.

Moore limped off with groin injury, and as a result there is a chance that he has played his last game for United. It has to be said that when he has been on the field the Aussie defender has never let the side down.

One player who will not be replacing Moore, despite reports to the contrary, is Man City's former United defender Sylvain Distin.

For, like another of his French colleagues Alain Goma who agitated for a move to London and went to Fulham, Distin will be playing at Craven Cottage next season.

:lol:

Is this the first sign FS has let loose the dogs on GR? blueyes.gif

Gotta agree with Oliver there like. When Martins isn't scoring, he's quite shit - at least he has been of recent. I'm hoping it's just because he's still settling in the league, I wouldn't get rid of him like.

I would love to see Martins flourish under a decent manager.

Guest Gemmill

So would I.  Canny irrelevant to how shit he was at the weekend though.

Duff is Mr back and square right now though, not very offten he gets thew ball and pushes on, he go's back up the line to who ever is at LB or square to Butt.

Yes Martns was poor, but a lot of time he was on his own as Dyer had fkd off into midfiled to try and get the ball, our build up play is utter shite and really do not think that any striker in the world would have had a better game than our 2 did with the service they got.

So would I.  Canny irrelevant to how shit he was at the weekend though.

I know.

Guest Gemmill

Duff is Mr back and square right now though, not very offten he gets thew ball and pushes on, he go's back up the line to who ever is at LB or square to Butt.

Yes Martns was poor, but a lot of time he was on his own as Dyer had fkd off into midfiled to try and get the ball, our build up play is utter shite and really do not think that any striker in the world would have had a better game than our 2 did with the service they got.

Skirge man, Martins was fucking crap regardless of the performance of the midfield.  They didn't give him the touch of a dyspractic rapist.  Or advise him to track his marker when we had the ball.  I'm pretty sure that there are PLENTY strikers in the world who could have had a better game, service or no service.