Three players you didn't like

Stevie

Guest Verlaine

Bramble

Hamilton

Stephane Gu'whatsit.

Guivarc'h, or Gurridge, as my dad who deliberately used to get the players names mixed up to piss me off, used to call him, only started two games for us.  Surely not enough to bring such dislike.

Don't question my dislike. I chose players who were utter s****, and didn't choose crap like Dyer or Duff who are just ball-achingly f****** average despite all the hype.

That you didn't choose Dyer is a massive massive shock. ;)

If I look back on my feelings towards players we've had, there's always one player who sticks out from every squad we've had who I've never taken to.  I'm vocal at the match, but I never boo, and despite this post, I hardly ever dish out personal abuse to players in the ground.

The first player I'll mention Scott Sellars, was almost universally loved.  He had good technique, decent crosser, scored a great winner against Sunderland, yet for some reason I never took to him.  I don't know why, I'll be honest, maybe it's because I like pacey wingers, and he didn't often skin 2 and 3 players like Ginola or Waddle.  I appreciate he had good technique, but I was one of the very few people that wasn't sad to see him go.  He never really let us down, and he was never that bad even in the Premiership, just sometimes I think I wanted more from him.  Perhaps it was a slightly irrational dislike in some respects.

The next player who without doubt I will never forget, is Kevin Dillon.  Firstly he was s***, secondly he was a mackem, thirdly he was the slowest footballer I've ever seen, fourthly he was clean through against Sunderland by about 20 yards, yet he was so slow Gary Bennett caught up to him by the 18 yard box, and fifthly he was the worst captain in the clubs history.  He was so bad when I was at school you would use "Dillon" as a derogatory term..."he's a Dillon that kid".

I wanted to put Ginola in the list because of his words when he left, but he was too brilliant to hate.  I didn't hate Andy O'Brien, but as soon as he arrived from Bradford I felt like I was the only one who could see just how s*** he was.  Even now it baffles me how he managed to stay four years.  See with Bramble he's come to the end of the line now, but he could go on a run of 10 games where he was fantastic.  He was on such a run when he got injured against Sporting Lisbon in the UEFA Cup QF.  It was 1-1, 20 minutes left (2-1 up on agg), yet I knew for a fact, when I seen O'Brien trotting on our dream was over, and so it proved.  There have been many individual performances down the years, which have bordered on the punishable by firing squad, Nicky Butt against Man Utd for one, but I've never seen any single player (including Fumaca), play a worse game than O'Brien against Villa when we lost 0-3 at home.  He was obscenely s*** in my view, and for all the good Robson did the toon, some of the players he stayed loyal to, beggared belief, and when Souness dished out a three year contract for him, I nearly cried.  He's another one who got a goal against Sunderland, and by all accounts he's a really good lad, but really good lad doesn't always equal really good footballer.

I don't really hate the shit players from the Dillon era and before Stevie, they couldn't help being shit. I thought Dillon actually tried quite hard for a mackem playing for Newcastle, his frustration at not scoring despite a lot of near misses got to him in the end, he was quite unlucky.

What I really hate is the players who don't play for the shirt, and most of those are the foreigners in the last decade as their input to the premiership has grown.

Arsprilla was the first one. Apart from the Barcelona game, you can count the good games he had on one hand, I got sick and tired of watching him amble around doing his own thing, especially when he played alongside Tomasson, a young lad who needed a bit of help and guidance from his partner, a senior professional. I hate attitudes like this. I also hated the attitude that Jinky Jim Smith had in the 1970's, who was similar, strolled around for 9 games doing nothing, then had a blinder. Players like this are no good to you, and I hated the fact he completely wasted his ability, playing for Newcastle.

The foreigners in the last decade who haven't played for the shirt ? They are obvious. Charvet, Maric, Luque, Dumas, Marcelino, Andersson.

Some of the lesser ones have been good though ie Acuna for example. I also thought that Bassedas and Cordone tried hard but weren't good enough, also Distin and bernard before they got stroppy with the club were good, and Lua Lua was badly treated by Bobby Robson.

I don't really hate the s*** players from the Dillon era and before Stevie, they couldn't help being s***. I thought Dillon actually tried quite hard for a mackem playing for Newcastle, his frustration at not scoring despite a lot of near misses got to him in the end, he was quite unlucky.

What I really hate is the players who don't play for the shirt, and most of those are the foreigners in the last decade as their input to the premiership has grown.

Arsprilla was the first one. Apart from the Barcelona game, you can count the good games he had on one hand, I got sick and tired of watching him amble around doing his own thing, especially when he played alongside Tomasson, a young lad who needed a bit of help and guidance from his partner, a senior professional. I hate attitudes like this. I also hated the attitude that Jinky Jim Smith had in the 1970's, who was similar, strolled around for 9 games doing nothing, then had a blinder. Players like this are no good to you, and I hated the fact he completely wasted his ability, playing for Newcastle.

The foreigners in the last decade who haven't played for the shirt ? They are obvious. Charvet, Maric, Luque, Dumas, Marcelino, Andersson.

Some of the lesser ones have been good though ie Acuna for example. I also thought that Bassedas and Cordone tried hard but weren't good enough, also Distin and bernard before they got stroppy with the club were good, and Lua Lua was badly treated by Bobby Robson.

I agree with most of that but Asprilla and Jinky were worth the admission alone when they were on fire, Ginola and Robert were the same at times, world beaters one game, missing the next.

Guest BooBoo

Gotta say, i agree with NE5! Asprilla's legacy is dominated by his hat trick v Barca and his double v Metz. For the large part he was as much a passenger as Martins can be when he's not on his game. Towards the end, Tino was simply not bothered about his performances.

Its a little known fact, that he never socred for us again after completing his hat trick v Barcelona.

I don't really hate the s*** players from the Dillon era and before Stevie, they couldn't help being s***. I thought Dillon actually tried quite hard for a mackem playing for Newcastle, his frustration at not scoring despite a lot of near misses got to him in the end, he was quite unlucky.

I agree with most of that but Asprilla and Jinky were worth the admission alone when they were on fire, Ginola and Robert were the same at times, world beaters one game, missing the next.

Robert produced the good over the years, Ginola was abolutely brilliant for the first half of the season, then for some reason just jacked it in.

I really disliked Arsprilla and Smith though, just thinking of their disappearing acts pisses me off.

Robert produced the good over the years, Ginola was abolutely brilliant for the first half of the season, then for some reason just jacked it in.

I really disliked Arsprilla and Smith though, just thinking of their disappearing acts pisses me off.

Ginola was the sending off against Arsenal, he was never the same after that.

Bramble

Hamilton

Stephane Gu'whatsit.

Guivarc'h, or Gurridge, as my dad who deliberately used to get the players names mixed up to piss me off, used to call him, only started two games for us.  Surely not enough to bring such dislike.

Don't question my dislike. I chose players who were utter s****, and didn't choose crap like Dyer or Duff who are just ball-achingly f****** average despite all the hype.

That you didn't choose Dyer is a massive massive shock. ;)

I was in shock aswell, before this thread I would have bet a lot of money on Dyer being NM's first choice if someone offered me some odds! :D

I understand where you are coming from there like, it's the fact these type of players are more gifted than most can dream of and due to these factors think they don't have to bother half of the time.

Ginola was the sending off against Arsenal, he was never the same after that.

Lee Dixon should have gone long before Ginola did too

The ref' was shocking, Dixon kicked lumps out of Ginola yet Ginola got sent off for diving, a blind man would have seen the foul.

The ref' was shocking, Dixon kicked lumps out of Ginola yet Ginola got sent off for diving, a blind man would have seen the foul.

Ultimately then that game may indirectly be the one that cost us the title because if Ginola had carried on playing as he had, who knows ?

Doesn't say much for Ginola though I suppose, if he wasn't brave enough to carry on.

Pretty sure Ginola got sent off for throwing the elbow at Dixon off the ball.

I might be wrong but I thought he went down in the box and went for taking a dive, that's my memory of it.

Guest NUFCnutter

Silvio Maric, He did bugger all for Newcastle first team, but managed to knock Bedlington Terriers out of the Senior Cup after we held the reserves at Welfare Park, we endured a freezing cold night at Kingston Park, played the reserves off the pitch for 85 minutes and then Maric went and scored and knocked the Terriers out. He was booed big style from us for that.

Marcellino - With his permanantly sore finger. What a useless, waste of space he was. I would rather have three Titus Shambles than 1 Marcellino.

Babayaro - Is it me, or does Baba ever strike you as having enjoyed a few spliffs before he comes on the pitch. He is too lazy and too uncommitted for my liking, and how he and carr gets games is beyond me.

I might be wrong but I thought he went down in the box and went for taking a dive, that's my memory of it.

Looks like we're both right in a way: http://www.anr.uk.com/arseweb-files95season/nd110196.html

Got booked for a dive that wasn't and got sent off for throwing the elbow.

Guest given take

Parker - Hardworking perfomances cover up realy a crapplayer who cant really do much. hes a midfeilder who cant tackle that well, cant pass more than 10 meters and creatvity is not in hs vocab

Owen - doesnt sign autgraphs for little kidies

Dabizas -Shitest defender to ever grace the toon. Give me bramble anyday

Looks like we're both right in a way: http://www.anr.uk.com/arseweb-files95season/nd110196.html

Got booked for a dive that wasn't and got sent off for throwing the elbow.

I thought it was Dixon who fouled Ginola, it looks like it was Winterburn. :idiot2:

I'm pretty sure Winterburn fouled Ginola, who subsequently got booked for diving. This wound him up so much that when Dixon grabbed his shirt, later on, he let his frustration get the better of him and threw an elbow.

I understand your point about Asprilla NE5, but he still goes down as one of my favourites. I don't know why I warmed to him more than some inconsistent magicians, but I just did. My memory seems to have eradicated the disappearing acts, and all I can remember of him now are the moments of footballing beauty. Rose tinted specs!

Robbie Savage, A player who has made his name from kicking lumps out of people...the comment Souness said about him was class "so what exactly has Robbie Savage won" ?

Patrick Kluivert, I was so excited when he came to us i thought he was going to be immense, let us down big style.

Lee Cattermole, A horrible little smoggie aids victim, if i could snap one player on a football pitch this would be the boy, has nothing about him only gets in the squad coz he cryed after a game !

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Ramage

Damage

Shamblage

and Parker is a brilliant tackler, best part of his game tbh.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

and Parker is a brilliant tackler, best part of his game tbh.

Shooting from distance, tbh.

You're having a "GIRARRRRFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFEEEEEEE" my son.