For those who know this stuff...... (Toto (not the dog))

Guest smoggeordie

Unlikely.

This season, there are many teams that are rumoured to have applied for the Intertoto Cup. The highest placed finisher of all that have applied, assuming they don't finish in the automatic qualification places (5th/6th), go into the Intertoto.

Rumour has it that Spurs, Everton, Reading, Pompey, Bolton, etc have all applied - so 10th probably won't be enough, no.

Possibly.

If Chelsea and Man Utd make it to the FA Cup final then 8th place will get the chance to enter the Intertoto, if they don't want it then it will be offered to 9th etc...

well out of that list atm Spurs, Everton & Bolton would all automatically be in europe (FA cup permitting)... Steve Coppell keeps saying he doesnt really want UEFA so i'd be suprised if they'd applied. So if we finish ahead of pompey & blackburn? perhaps.

a long shot, but not completely impossible.

Possibly.

If Chelsea and Man Utd make it to the FA Cup final then 8th place will get the chance to enter the Intertoto, if they don't want it then it will be offered to 9th etc...

What if the spuds win the UEFA cup as well, that should take it to 9th.

Shitty thought i know, but...

well out of that list atm Spurs, Everton & Bolton would all automatically be in europe (FA cup permitting)... Steve Coppell keeps saying he doesnt really want UEFA so i'd be suprised if they'd applied. So if we finish ahead of pompey & blackburn? perhaps.

a long shot, but not completely impossible.

TRhat could help us, can see his point, 2nd season syndrome along with another tough competition to compete in.

Possibly.

I don't think that will make any difference, still 8th.

Yes - Reading and Pompey did not apply according the the bbc article which I'll look for in a minute.

As long as 8th and 9th are those teams and the FA Cup final is between Man Utd and Chelsea then 10th will do.

Possibly.

I don't think that will make any difference, still 8th.

Well i certainly hope the lose now.  :lol:

I hope we don't get into it tbh.

We are CLEARLY nowhere near good enough to win a competition. Considering that we've never got further than a semi-final. Considering we've deteriorated in our competition performances (semi-final, to quarter-final, to last-sixteen). Considering that we've needed the Intertoto twice in the last two seasons to get into Europe, and we couldn't even qualify through that one of those times.

It's a pointless waste of effort for now. Wait until we build a team, get a good manager and are actually decent enough to do something in the tournament. Meanwhile, we could be concentrating on improving our domestic performances.

but why the f*** dont/didnt other english teams apply for it??? its only 2 games. Like saying no to european football

Portsmouth are mugs for not going for it, but i can understand Reading for the reasons i gave above.

but why the f*** dont/didnt other english teams apply for it??? its only 2 games. Like saying no to european football

Like Toon's Taylor said, it's another competiton. And for clubs without huge squads, and especially a team that's not been in the top league long, it may cause 'em more trouble that its worth. We see how many teams suffer 'European hangovers' after a game, those points lost, could make all the difference. If you weigh it up - the money they get from staying in the prem far outweighs the money they would get in the UEFA Cup. The decent money doesn't come into it until really late on.

Guest Invicta_Toon

Do we seriously need to be in it? We might get somewhere in the Prem next year if we have a proper pre-season