Squad Numbering

GM

Also, meant to ask - is there some sort of rule that dictates once a number has been allocated to a player he has to keep that number for the whole season, but that there's nothing to stop the manager changing the number for the next season?

Yeah, there is a rule. Initial squad numbers have to be submitted to the FA after a certain date. Once they're submitted, they can't be changed.

"But Milner was number 11 at the start of this season, though."

At the very start of this season - Milner was allocated number 11, but once Duff came, that number was transferred to him as he joined the squad before the submit date.

Milner was 7, then Luque took it as it seemed Milner was on his way to Villa, meaning Milner had to choose another number when he got back from Birmingham.

wrong.

he was 11 and duff took it when we signed him. For no fucking reason whatsoever.

Guest smoggeordie

Also, meant to ask - is there some sort of rule that dictates once a number has been allocated to a player he has to keep that number for the whole season, but that there's nothing to stop the manager changing the number for the next season?

Yeah, there is a rule. Initial squad numbers have to be submitted to the FA after a certain date. Once they're submitted, they can't be changed.

At the very start of this season - Milner was allocated number 11, but once Duff came, that number was transferred to him as he joined the squad before the submit date.

Milner was 7, then Luque took it as it seemed Milner was on his way to Villa, meaning Milner had to choose another number when he got back from Birmingham.

wrong.

he was 11 and duff took it when we signed him. For no f****** reason whatsoever.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Milner_%28footballer%29

wrong.

he was 11 and duff took it when we signed him. For no f****** reason whatsoever.

:lol: wiki.

Guest smoggeordie

wrong.

:lol: wiki.

.........and I used to work in the club shop...

Guest Invicta_Toon

sad that you're even arguing about it tbh

fiddling (with yourselves) while Rome burns

apologies mr.conversation-nazi, what should we be discussing?

whether The Ultimate Warrior would come out of retirement to assist Roeder in sports psychology

2          5            6          3

7          4            8          11

9          10

That was the NUFC way.

Started to drift when squad's grew and players had to have squad numbers which stuck with them. So if a young player, say Shola Ameobi joined the squad and all numbers were taken he ends up with something like 23. He ends up happy with that number and it stays with him. Other players request a shirt, so Phillipe Albert requested 27 as he joined the club on his 27th birthday.  Players could change if they wanted, but players would probably only look to change if they were getting one of the 2-11 shirts.

for some reason the team i play for always has the captain as no 10, even though our captain is a CB. I always thought it was:

2    4    5    3

7    6    8    11

9    10

Was that answer quick enough, btw? Or did your panties still manage to twist before I replied? O0

i was replying on global. The saint number 10 becoming the cult of modern footballer number these days because i thought it was pele who introduce first. The No. 10 becoming symbol of Ace footballer which represent pele as the symbol of ace footballer.

I was speaking to GeordieMessiah, mate, don't worry! He was unhappy with waiting 8 minutes for an answer to his initial question. You're 100% right, as usual.

i thought you talk to me because your post below mine :lol:... ahhh i see now why i get confuse with your question at first :lol:

When they had WM formation (ask NE5) the format was

2      5      3

4        6

8      10

7      9        11

4 and 6 had defensive responsibilities, 8 and 10 attacking, as long as everyone knew there role it was nicely matched up and balanced.

Bloody Hungarians messed it yup by dropping their centre-forward away from where he was supposed to be and confusing the opposing number 5 completely. Bloody Italians messed it up by making 4 and 6 defenders with the number 5 in a a new fangled sweeper role behind. Sir Alf messed it up by playing without wingers and effectively inventing 4-4-2. Rinus Michels messed it up with Holland by letting anyone play anywhere, and givign Cruyff the number 14 shirt. Souness messed it up by when we played Fulham by finishing the game with no fullbacks, 5 in midfield and three up front

Harper

O'Brien Elliot

Jenas

Bellamy Butt Bowyer Robert

Shola Shearer Kluivert

This has not yet gained the international acceptance of the Hungarian or Italian or Dutch variations.

I do question why we gave Luque the number 7 shirt when it was pretty clear even last year that Roeder didn't fancy him. Would have been better off giving Milner that one rather than giving him number 11, then number 16, then try to sell him before bringing him back. (oops, sorry. Keep forgetting Roeder's a "great guy", etc).

I do question why we gave Luque the number 7 shirt when it was pretty clear even last year that Roeder didn't fancy him. Would have been better off giving Milner that one rather than giving him number 11, then number 16, then try to sell him before bringing him back. (oops, sorry. Keep forgetting Roeder's a "great guy", etc).

You live him really, marra! ;) [/rocker]

There's no system for numbering... Certain players or clubs may have traditions or cultures regarding numbers but theoratically anyone can get any number.

Gallas 10

Boulahrouz 9

Emre 5

Zidane 5

Solano 4

Lauren 10

Stalteri 7

Woodgate 8

Pamarot 11

among others.

There's no system for numbering... Certain players or clubs may have traditions or cultures regarding numbers but theoratically anyone can get any number.

Gallas 10

Boulahrouz 9

Emre 5

Zidane 5

Solano 4

Lauren 10

Stalteri 7

Woodgate 8

Pamarot 11

among others.

This is exactly what started the conversation in the first place. Seems nonsensical to have defenders wearing 7,8,9,10,11 etc and midfielders with 5.