Interesting soundbite from Roeder on Martins, Owen, and Shola

Guest hindu times

Guest hindu times

Oba is going nowhere.. except to partner OwenApr 15 2007

By Neil Farrington, The Sunday Sun

Obafemi Martins is certain to be a Newcastle player next season - and he WILL be a perfect partner for Michael Owen.

That's the message from Glenn Roeder as speculation persists over Martins' future - and the Nigerian's ability to play alongside a fit-again Owen.

Chelsea, Juventus and even Manchester United have been linked with Martins during his maiden Premiership season.

But the 17-goal star is going nowhere, and could form a formidable Newcastle front-line with Owen AND Shola Ameobi next season.

"I'm 100 per cent certain that Oba will be here next season," insisted Roeder. "Talk of him leaving in the summer is just mischief-making.

Story continues

ADVERTISEMENT

"We have Oba for another four seasons - his future is at Newcastle. I know he wants to be here because he's told me that's the case. I'm going to put a better squad together in the summer and Oba not being here wouldn't help that."

And although some suggest Martins and Owen are too similar to succeed in tandem, Roeder is having none of it.

"I wouldn't be worried about them playing together at all," added the United boss. "Just because both Oba and Michael are short wouldn't bother me. The way Oba leaps for the ball means he doesn't play like a short player anyway.

"They could share the attacking roles with one further forward and one coming off the shoulder.

"I think it all comes down to the quality of the player, and if the players are good enough then they'll form a partnership.

"And in certain circumstances, I might play Michael, Oba and Shola together. Why not? With the quality and football intelligence that they have then it's something I would consider."

That bold quote scares me a bit, to play a 4-3-3 you need 1 out and out striker and 2 wide men that can score goals.

Martins - Shola - Owen  would be fine when we have the ball but without the ball every team would be alover us. Do you really see Owen and Oba dropping back into midfield to make it a 5 man line?

FFS this forum is full of aspergers,taking every quote literally.

d'you really expect roeder to say "no i don't see how i could play them together no matter what the circumstances"

would benitez say "no i couldn't play kuyt,bellamy,crouch and fowler together under any circumstances"

lesson 1 "find a story about nufc"

lesson 2 "find a way to be negative and slag them off"

"And in certain circumstances, I might play Michael, Oba and Shola together. Why not? With the quality and football intelligence that they have then it's something I would consider."

:boomboom:

Well it could work well, definately a good idea, but can Roeder execute it? The same idea can work when we're playing co-ordinated, slick football, but I don't know how it's going to work under Roeder.

The idea is good though, Ameobi holding up play, martins taking attacking runs, and Owen with a free role to poach as many goals as he can. Brilliant idea, not sure if Roeder can execute it.

So  A

Given

Nobby  Taylor  NewCB  New LB

Milner  Parker  Emre    Duff

Owen  Martins     

Or B

Given

Nobby  Taylor  NewCB NewLB

Parker  Butt/Sidwell  Emre?

Ameobi                                Martins

Owen

Subs

Harper/Krul

Edgar/Hunty/Ramage/Baba

Butt/ Sidwell

Milner/Zoggy

Dyer/Duff/Carroll

B could be worth a try imo as long as Shola and Oba are willing to drop back when we haven't got possesion, it could deffinately work and cause opposition teams lots of problems. Work much better if we had a top CB & LB though, i've got a terrible feeling though Car is still in Glen's plans for next season.