Steven Taylor for Captain?

Guest haseeb
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vic's not a Geordie FWIW. He's a cockerknee.

I am half Geordie, Dave from Leeds

No, you're not. You're from where you come from, were born/raised etc.

whatever. I imagine like Stevie most of the people you know have never moved more then a quarter mile in their lives

pretty sad tbh, and totally ignorant too

Then you'd imagine wrong, and not for the first time.

Ignorant? Perhaps, but i prefer to think of it as honesty - i think it's pathetic to pretend to be something you're not. No-one really gives a fuck where you come from, and if you're the kind of person who wants to support a club in a place you don't come from, thats up to you. But i'd rather be honest about it.

In my opinion, football clubs should be supported by those who come from that place, or have a familial link with it. But supporting a club doesn't magically make you from that place. Doesn't matter of both someones parents were from London, but that person was born and raised in Newcastle whilst supporting his parent's London club, they' still not be a cockney.

how about living there as well as a familial link? where do you draw the line?

and of course it matters, because by these daft fuckers definitions on here, you lot a are mackems if I'm a cockney tbh as you live twice as close to mackemland as I have ever lived to a cockney

Does living there make you FROM there? I don't think so, personally.

Me, i was born here and i've lived in here for all but 4 of my 30-odd years, so i believe i am a Geordie.

If you live/have a familial link with somewhere, i think you could support that team, thats a choice thing. But does it make you a Geordie (or whatever)? no, not for me.

Edited due to godawful spelling

what about kids who move around like I did? there's an egyptian in here, must be 21, he's lived in about 10 countries already, what does that make him?

He wouldn't be a Geordie either.

Guest Invicta_Toon

whatever. I imagine like Stevie most of the people you know have never moved more then a quarter mile in their lives

Ignorant? Perhaps, but i prefer to think of it as honesty - i think it's pathetic to pretend to be something you're not. No-one really gives a fuck where you come from, and if you're the kind of person who wants to support a club in a place you don't come from, thats up to you. But i'd rather be honest about it.

In my opinion, football clubs should be supported by those who come from that place, or have a familial link with it. But supporting a club doesn't magically make you from that place. Doesn't matter of both someones parents were from London, but that person was born and raised in Newcastle whilst supporting his parent's London club, they' still not be a cockney.

and of course it matters, because by these daft fuckers definitions on here, you lot a are mackems if I'm a cockney tbh as you live twice as close to mackemland as I have ever lived to a cockney

Me, i was born here and i've lived in here for all but 4 of my 30-odd years, so i believe i am a Geordie.

If you live/have a familial link with somewhere, i think you could support that team, thats a choice thing. But does it make you a Geordie (or whatever)? no, not for me.

what about kids who move around like I did? there's an egyptian in here, must be 21, he's lived in about 10 countries already, what does that make him?

He wouldn't be a Geordie either.

quite obviously, as he has no family there and doesnt live there

It makes him an egyptian, i guess :)

kids who move around a lot (except pikeys, they're dirty) are an interesting one. Where did you call "home"? or where were you born, etc?

Guest Invicta_Toon

He's Egyptian I'd say. Clue was in the question tttt.

he lived in egypt for about his first two years, about as long as I spent in germany FFS, and I'm no German, and he doesn't class himself as Egyptian

he lived in egypt for about his first two years, about as long as I spent in germany FFS, and I'm no German, and he doesn't class himself as Egyptian

You called him an Egyptian. Make your mind up.

I agree that he's only getting it because there's nobody else in the squad who stands out as a better candidate which is a worry.

I don't think it will be good for him though.  People are saying it will make him a better player - personally I think an experienced regular centre half partner will make him a better player.  The Terry comparisons are also unfair imo.  Terry learned his trade from guys like Marcel Desailly, not Titus Bramble.

I just feel that at this stage in his career he should be concentrating on learning how to play centre half.  The added pressures and responsibilities that go with captaincy might hinder his footballing development.

Guest Invicta_Toon

You called him an Egyptian. Make your mind up.

he's egyptian, i'm a cockney and you're a mackem. glad that's all sorted

Guest samtoonarmy

Id either give it to Taylor or Given. The only problem with Given is his position and hes out of the way a bit. Id like to see Steven Taylor captain overall - even though he isnt experianced i think he will be a great leader.

• 1 year later...

STEVEN TAYLOR has handed Newcastle United manager Joe Kinnear a major boost ahead of next Wednesday’s trip to Manchester City.

The Toon defender has missed the last two games due to a nagging calf injury, but he emerged smiling from this week’s behind-closed-doors friendly with Carlisle United after getting 90 minutes under his belt without suffering a reaction.

Taylor – who scored in the 1-1 draw with the Cumbrians – turned 23 yesterday, and celebrated with the news he was fit for the clash at Eastlands.

He told the Chronicle: “I’ve had a problem with my calf for a few weeks, and a couple of other niggles.

“There’s never a good time to suffer an injury.

“It’s been frustrating not being 100% fit, so it was great to get 90 minutes under my belt.

“I felt great, and I hope to be involved against Man City, which is a massive game for us.

“We need to take something from the game, and there’s no reason why we can’t get a good result if we play to our strengths.”

Taylor’s return gives Kinnear a problem he isn’t used to this season, with a defensive selection headache awaiting him ahead of the game with City.

Taylor has been fielded as a right-back since picking up a different injury in November which forced Kinnear to rely on Sebastian Bassong and Fabricio Coloccini in the centre-back positions.

Some good form before Christmas meant Kinnear stuck with the partnership.

However, with United on a run of four games without a win, there could be changes for the game with Man City.

David Edgar played at right-back against Blackburn, leaving Kinnear with plenty to think about over the weekend before the clash with Mark Hughes’ side.

Guest toonlass

Still wouldn't make him captain though. He is not good enough when you compare him to Bassong in the centre and Beye on the right.