Steven Taylor for Captain?

Guest haseeb
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

This is the sort of thing I'd expect from Roeder, not Allardyce.

Naa Roeder would have taken the safe option and given it to Butt or Given, probably Given, whereas Allardyce is his own man and does things his way even if they're controversial.

You think?

He's given it Taylor because he's a geordie and it'll come across well with the fans, it's certainly not for anything he's done on the pitch for us.

Er, he's from Greenwich.

Yeah he was there for a week or two when he was born, don't be so picky ffs. :lol:

Nothing against the lad but how the fuck is he supposed to motivate Owen, Given, Solano, Butt, Viduka and Carr?

Will they respect/listen to him? I know I fucking wouldn't if I were them. He's a decent player who'll get better but is he the right person to get Butt and Owen going before a match? Is he going to lift Viduka if he misses a chance or two during a match?

Don't think so!

Professionals of such age and experience should require less motivation from others..?

I just think that players like Butt and Owen won't be inspired by a young lad who has achieved nothing in the game. They've actually won stuff and collected medals. He's not even become a regular starter for Newcastle and suddenly, he's their captain! Just seems a bit fucked up imo.  :undecided:

They shouldn't need to be inspired though?

I often giggle at the John Terry comparisons that often show up, but the same thing did wonders for him.

One other point of view is that the influence of a captain doesn't really mean much any more these days?

I hope I'm wrong. Honestly.

I just think certain players won't react positively to him trying to get them going before or during a match. I think it's a bit too much, too soon for the lad and I'd prefer it if he just concentrated on ironing out the errors in his own game rather than trying to sort out and organise people around him.

Anyway, fuck it - the Copa America is just about to kick off.  :lol:

Guest Knightrider

He's given it Taylor because he's a geordie and it'll come across well with the fans, it's certainly not for anything he's done on the pitch for us.

If you seriously believe that, you're mental! Has talking to the player, his team-mates, others and actually finding out about his character not occurred to you as the reason why a manager like Sam Allardyce who conducts profiling on his players for christ sake :lol:, went for him as captain?

Assuming these rumours are true of course.

Why not give it to Ramage or Shola if its all about being Geordies?

Allardyce hasn't got where he has in the game by playing to what he thinks the fans want. In all honesty this is a lot bigger gamble than if he had went for Given.

Guest Knightrider

BTW some of the game's' most successful or rather respected captains have often been ordinary players on the pitch or not achieved much. What had Nolan achieved to lead players like Hierro, Campo, Anelka et al? Nowt. But he had their respect because of his character and personal traits which as I've already said, is what impresses players the most, especially on the pitch. Your trophy room won't take a kick in the face in the last minute to save a goal going in, neither will the face you've played for Real Madrid.

Guest Knightrider

Allardyce hasn't got where he has in the game by playing to what he thinks the fans want. In all honesty this is a lot bigger gamble than if he had went for Given.

Exactly, this being a gamble contradicts your argument BTW Baggio, on the one hand you're saying SA is only picking him because he's a Geordie, i.e. the soft or easy option, and on the other you're arguing that this is a gamble.

Obviously Terry was a very talented player but what made the rest of the Chelsea squad respect the 21 year old captain any more than Taylor will get?

Terry was 23 when made Chelsea captain. ;)

If Taylor wasn't a local lad he wouldn't even be in the running for captaincy.

Firstly, your argument is flawed because Taylor if you forget he's a Geordie for a moment, ticks most of the boxes anyway, such as: Passionate, committed, 100% professional, big presence, good communicator and one overlooked factor - will most likely be a mainstay for years to come. Add his obvious talent into the equation and he makes a fine captain candidate.

I think because we've been hit with the wrong end of the Geordie stick so many times with past managers, the chronicle and the old board, we're now becoming Geordie skeptics it seems and that's just as daft as the whole Geordie nation bollocks, the same in fact but at the other end of the spectrum.

It is this that sees Taylor get so much stick, because he's a Geordie. If he was a foreigner, ironically, we'd talk about this wonderful talent we have on our hands, like N'Zogbia the season before last.

There needs to be a middleground.

Anyway, being a Geordie is an added bonus because it will help fend off rival clubs and act as a boon to the academy, as well as serving fans with a figure they can relate to. Furthermore, in Taylor we're guaranteed at least 1 player who will never let us down, not intentionally anyway,w ho will always give his all and stand up to be counted on when called upon. We could have done with a few more Taylor's these past few seasons.

BTW the Geordie skeptic thing, you replying to what was a reporter's artistic license with with rolling eyes, is proof positive that this is creeping into our mentality as fans. It is as easy for the reporter to throw into his piece as us being linked with Ronaldinho, doesn't mean it is true though.

Anyway even if it were true, you couldn't really blame the new owners for being pleased the captain is a Geordie, they are not and one of the biggest fears of fans when their clubs get taken over is that they'll lose their identity. That could be a good sign actually, if it weren't some journo playing with words that is.

You're right that if Taylor was foreign we'd be happy that we've got a great young prospect at the back, but would we really be saying he should be captain?

Last season he wasn't that much better than Bramble ffs and when we needed big performances against the likes of AZ he was nowhere to be seen, the lad has potential but that's all, yes he's passionate, committed, 100% professional etc but so is Milner and I don't see people putting his name forward.

You say people are beating him down with the Geordie stick but to me it seems people are going with it because Allardyce made the decision and he can do no wrong.

Obviously Terry was a very talented player but what made the rest of the Chelsea squad respect the 21 year old captain any more than Taylor will get?

Ah right, thought he was 21 for some reason. Still hardly what you would call mature or experienced compared to some in their squad :D

Firstly, your argument is flawed because Taylor if you forget he's a Geordie for a moment, ticks most of the boxes anyway, such as: Passionate, committed, 100% professional, big presence, good communicator and one overlooked factor - will most likely be a mainstay for years to come. Add his obvious talent into the equation and he makes a fine captain candidate.

I think because we've been hit with the wrong end of the Geordie stick so many times with past managers, the chronicle and the old board, we're now becoming Geordie skeptics it seems and that's just as daft as the whole Geordie nation bollocks, the same in fact but at the other end of the spectrum.

It is this that sees Taylor get so much stick, because he's a Geordie. If he was a foreigner, ironically, we'd talk about this wonderful talent we have on our hands, like N'Zogbia the season before last.

Anyway, being a Geordie is an added bonus because it will help fend off rival clubs and act as a boon to the academy, as well as serving fans with a figure they can relate to. Furthermore, in Taylor we're guaranteed at least 1 player who will never let us down, not intentionally anyway,w ho will always give his all and stand up to be counted on when called upon. We could have done with a few more Taylor's these past few seasons.

BTW the Geordie skeptic thing, you replying to what was a reporter's artistic license with with rolling eyes, is proof positive that this is creeping into our mentality as fans. It is as easy for the reporter to throw into his piece as us being linked with Ronaldinho, doesn't mean it is true though.

Anyway even if it were true, you couldn't really blame the new owners for being pleased the captain is a Geordie, they are not and one of the biggest fears of fans when their clubs get taken over is that they'll lose their identity. That could be a good sign actually, if it weren't some journo playing with words that is.

You're right that if Taylor was foreign we'd be happy that we've got a great young prospect at the back, but would we really be saying he should be captain?

Last season he wasn't that much better than Bramble ffs and when we needed big performances against the likes of AZ he was nowhere to be seen, the lad has potential but that's all, yes he's passionate, committed, 100% professional etc but so is Milner and I don't see people putting his name forward.

You say people are beating him down with the Geordie stick but to me it seems people are going with it because Allardyce made the decision and he can do no wrong.

Don't know about that, reading your posts recently it seems everything he does do is wrong!  :lol:

Exactly, this being a gamble contradicts your argument BTW Baggio, on the one hand you're saying SA is only picking him because he's a Geordie, i.e. the soft or easy option, and on the other you're arguing that this is a gamble.

How is it exactly? That's a more stupid comparison from GeJon than when he said we shouldn't speculate about Queudrue if we wouldn't do the same about Ronaldinho. :lol: Shola and Ramage are shit, hated by the fans and are not seen as first team regulars, Taylor on the other hand is a good player who is popular with the fans because he's a good player and a local lad.

As for me contradicting myself, how exactly?

Allardyce has taken the option that will please the fans rather than whats best for the team, that doesn't mean it isn't a massive risk.

Don't know about that, reading your posts recently it seems everything he does do is wrong!  :lol:

Can I have some examples?

How is it exactly? That's a more stupid comparison from GeJon than when he said we shouldn't speculate about Queudrue if we wouldn't do the same about Ronaldinho. :lol: Shola and Ramage are shit, hated by the fans and are not seen as first team regulars, Taylor on the other hand is a good player who is popular with the fans because he's a good player and a local lad.

Allardyce has taken the option that will please the fans rather than whats best for the team, that doesn't mean it isn't a massive risk.

You say its the easy option because it pleases the fans but the poll suggests otherwise. As said if he had Given it to Given or maybe even Butt that would have been the easy option and would have probably pleased more fans.

Don't let that get in the way of another good moan though  O0

Ah right, thought he was 21 for some reason. Still hardly what you would call mature or experienced compared to some in their squad :D

He captained Makelele, Gallas and Carvalho amongst others. He had been playing for the full England team for a year and played in Euro 2004 though.

Can I have some examples?

Off the top of my head..

Not getting in the back room staff quick enough

Making Taylor captain

Bringing in a player on trial who wasn't good enough (Duscher)

Targetting the wrong players

I am sure I could find more things Allardyce is doing wrong according to you if I looked. At this rate he is going to be lower than Souness before we have even kicked a ball!

How is it exactly? That's a more stupid comparison from GeJon than when he said we shouldn't speculate about Queudrue if we wouldn't do the same about Ronaldinho. :lol: Shola and Ramage are s***, hated by the fans and are not seen as first team regulars, Taylor on the other hand is a good player who is popular with the fans because he's a good player and a local lad.

You say its the easy option because it pleases the fans but the poll suggests otherwise. As said if he had Given it to Given or maybe even Butt that would have been the easy option and would have probably pleased more fans.

I'm sorry, I wasn't aware that a Newcastle-Online poll was the definitive answer of the fans. :lol:

As for me having another good moan, can I have some examples or are you talking shite as per usual?

I've moaned about Queudrue because he's not good enough, anything else?

How is it exactly? That's a more stupid comparison from GeJon than when he said we shouldn't speculate about Queudrue if we wouldn't do the same about Ronaldinho. :lol: Shola and Ramage are s***, hated by the fans and are not seen as first team regulars, Taylor on the other hand is a good player who is popular with the fans because he's a good player and a local lad.

I'm sorry, I wasn't aware that a Newcastle-Online poll was the definitive answer of the fans. :lol:

As for me having another good moan, can I have some examples or are you talking shite as per usual?

Talking shite? All you fucking do is moan these days :lol:

Off the top of my head..

Not getting in the back room staff quick enough They should have been here quicker

Making Taylor captain Because he's done nothing to deserve it

Bringing in a player on trial who wasn't good enough (Duscher) I said he wasn't good enough, judging by how long his trial lasted I was right

Targetting the wrong players Players like Queudrue are not good enough, would people have been happy with this type of player under Roeder? They were moaning when he tried to sign Curtis Davies ffs.

So what do you think he's done wrong so far then, Gejon?

Respect in the dressing room for Taylor is a problem for me though, I just think fellow players think he is a laughing stock and a complete amateur when it comes to being serious, the guy is a complete drama queen and has got to be on the end of a lot of jokes in the squad.  You can say what you want about Parker on the pitch, but I am pretty certain he commanded a lot of respect in the dressing room.

Parker was a weak captain, end of story

As for me having another good moan, can I have some examples or are you talking s**** as per usual?

Talking s****? All you f****** do is moan these days :lol:

I say it how I see it, if it means I moan then so be it.

Off the top of my head..

Not getting in the back room staff quick enough They should have been here quicker

Making Taylor captain Because he's done nothing to deserve it

Bringing in a player on trial who wasn't good enough (Duscher) I said he wasn't good enough, judging by how long his trial lasted I was right

Targetting the wrong players Players like Queudrue are not good enough, would people have been happy with this type of player under Roeder? They were moaning when he tried to sign Curtis Davies ffs.

So what do you think he's done wrong so far then, Gejon?

I will wait and see what happens before laying into him. Half the staff he is trying to get probably couldn't leave straight away and we don't know the background so I don't see how we can lay into him for that. I can see the reason why he has given Taylor the armband (apparently) as can others so I wont put that down as something he has done wrong. Duscher is a player who has a good reputation, I have no problems with us taking players like him on trial to see if we feel we can get some use out of him, what did we lose? How can Allardyce be in the wrong?

Most of the media links are bullshit aswell so I wont start having digs at Allardyce for any players I feel arent good enough but those fine people at the NOTW have decided to make up a story about.

Basically as I said, I am going to wait and see what he does THEN judge him instead of tearing away for every little thing he may (or more likely won't) do!

Taylor has all the leadership qualities but as a defender is too rash to be considered a definite starter at the moment. Might be a season too early IMO. The Sunday Sun is probably the least reliable of all the local papers when it comes to printing rumours anyway. I don't think Taylor will be made captain personally, the only reason he's being considered is there are so few alternatives at the moment.