Steven Taylor for Captain?

Guest haseeb
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Invicta_Toon

How do you describe 'half Geordie'?

one half of my family is Geordie, Newcastle is my current secondary place of residence and leisure destination of choice.

Guest Invicta_Toon

Not overly chuffed with the decision, but he's worth a starting role more than Butt or Solano is so i guess he is the obvious choice. Barton was probably Allardyce's only other preferred candidate, and maybe hang back because he's too new.

The Geordie thing is typical media stereotyping. Certainly outside of the big four, 'Geordies' are stereotyped more than any other collection of fans. We love our old-fashioned strikers, we'd rather lose 5-4 than win 1-0, we want Shearer as manager, we want another Geordie captain. It's nonsense - we're realistic. It's just paper talk.

Taylor's an obvious candidate for Captain, whether he speaks with an accent or not. Allardyce's reasons will be based around a wholly footballing point of view, he's not naive enough to pick a captain just cos it'll apparantely appease the fans.

In regards to the poll; selected No but i'm not totally against it.

if it was media stereotyping it would have said fans, not heirarchy

Are you saying that we, as a 'race', aren't stereotyped by the media? Just a question, not saying you are.

Because i'd find that very hard to agree with. Exhibit A, Channel5 last season.

I was talking about the bit in the article, nothing else.

Are Geordies stereotyped? Exhibit B: Micheal Owen's unveiling.

Well aye, that's fair enough. It's been mentioned elsewhere though - wherever it first came out, the Chronicle or the Journal, and said the "fans will be pleased to see Taylor follow in Shearer's footsteps" or something...

Don't really understand what you're getting at with the second bit though, Vic. But what i was getting at is that we're stereotyped to be these traditionalists just because of what the likes of Shearer and Keegan brought to the place. Channel5's coverage of us last season is merely an example of that, they were shocking for it. Pointing out how everyone's favourite player was Parker cos he 'gets stuck in'; one of their key contributions.

like I said, they used the word heirarchy, not fans/locals

So you agree that Newcastle fans*are sterotyped, then? ;)

*Altered from Geordies

---

For the record, i've often called myself 'half-Geordie'.  :blush: My whole family's Geordie though, except me and my sis who were both born down here. I've lived in Newcastle aswell. Well, Hebburn.

I don't know why we're going down this route tbh, all I was saying was you're comment was innacurate as they would not have said heirarchy if it was the usual media stereotype (plus it's from the Chron anyway). Either someone at the club said something, or it goes in with all their other made up club insideer stuff

Guest Invicta_Toon

You pointed it out, not me!

no, I think that was you. I commented about the article you mentioned re. Taylor is a geordie

There are perfectly good reasons for not supporting this decision, but I don't agree with those who say he's getting the armband because he's a geordie, I think that's just a cheap swipe at Allardyce and Taylor.

Any manager looking to appease the fans would give Given the armband because he's the one man after Shearer who can do no wrong in the eyes of most Newcastle fans and everyone knows that. Selecting Taylor to be the youngest ever captain of this club would always be controversial, it's not something you do because he's a Geordie or to please the fans.

There are decent enough reasons for giving the armband to a Geordie. I don't think we have to have a Geordie captain (Rob Lee was an excellent captain, so was Bobby Moncur), but it's good to have some local lads in the team -- gives a team character, having a few players who grew up wanting to be out there on that turf, in that strip -- and it's definitely one thing to take into consideration. That and "it will help the boy grow up" are the two positive reasons for Taylor as captain.

At the moment he is must be in with a big shout. I wouldn't want a goal keeper as captain & thereafter we are not exactly spoilt for choice - Owen & Barton may have claims but would either, for differing reasons, be that good of a choice?

I'd be happy with Taylor as captain as he's a born captain. I thought that it may be too early for him though and maybe it would make Shay Given more vocal not to mention reward him for his loyalty and service. 

Vic's not a Geordie FWIW. He's a cockerknee.

I am half Geordie, Dave from Leeds

No, you're not. You're from where you come from, were born/raised etc.

agree

Guest Invicta_Toon

whatever. I imagine like Stevie most of the people you know have never moved more then a quarter mile in their lives

pretty sad tbh, and totally ignorant too

whatever. I imagine like Stevie most of the people you know have never moved more then a quarter mile in their lives

You'd think you two would get on, what with the Forest Hall connection and everything.

You'd think you two would get on, what with the Forest Hall connection and everything.

There is a thread in General Chat for this too.

You'd think, yes.

Then you'd imagine wrong, and not for the first time.

Ignorant? Perhaps, but i prefer to think of it as honesty - i think it's pathetic to pretend to be something you're not. No-one really gives a fuck where you come from, and if you're the kind of person who wants to support a club in a place you don't come from, thats up to you. But i'd rather be honest about it.

In my opinion, football clubs should be supported by those who come from that place, or have a familial link with it. But supporting a club doesn't magically make you from that place. Doesn't matter of both someones parents were from London, but that person was born and raised in Newcastle whilst supporting his parent's London club, they' still not be a cockney.

Guest optimistic nit

i don't know if this thread is still about steven taylor, but if it is i'd really rather someone else was made captain.

Guest Invicta_Toon

Ignorant? Perhaps, but i prefer to think of it as honesty - i think it's pathetic to pretend to be something you're not. No-one really gives a fuck where you come from, and if you're the kind of person who wants to support a club in a place you don't come from, thats up to you. But i'd rather be honest about it.

In my opinion, football clubs should be supported by those who come from that place, or have a familial link with it. But supporting a club doesn't magically make you from that place. Doesn't matter of both someones parents were from London, but that person was born and raised in Newcastle whilst supporting his parent's London club, they' still not be a cockney.

how about living there as well as a familial link? where do you draw the line?

and of course it matters, because by these daft fuckers definitions on here, you lot a are mackems if I'm a cockney tbh as you live twice as close to mackemland as I have ever lived to a cockney

i don't know if this thread is still about steven taylor, but if it is i'd really rather someone else was made captain.

Who else?

Given - no chance. Can't control his own back 4.

Solano - not a season-long player now.

Rozenhal - too new

Babayaro - haahahahahahaha!!!

Carr - see Babayaro

Emre - nope. Can't have a skipper who keeps going missing

Barton - jesus.

Dire - <snigger>

Martins - no

Owen - possibly, not sure he's a captain though?

Viduka - nope

Duff - no

The Zog - god no.

Milner - no

Butt - possibly, but is he a first team starter?

Ameobi - <snigger again>

Geremi - don't think so

Luque - <swallows tongue>

and of course it matters, because by these daft fuckers definitions on here, you lot a are mackems if I'm a cockney tbh as you live twice as close to mackemland as I have ever lived to a cockney

Does living there make you FROM there? I don't think so, personally.

Me, i was born here and i've lived in here for all but 4 of my 30-odd years, so i believe i am a Geordie.

If you live/have a familial link with somewhere, i think you could support that team, thats a choice thing. But does it make you a Geordie (or whatever)? no, not for me.

Edited due to godawful spelling

Guest Invicta_Toon

Does living there make you FROM there? I don't think so, personally.

Me, i was born here and i've lived in here for all but 4 of my 30-odd years, so i believe i am a Geordie.

If you live/have a familial link with somewhere, i think you could support that team, thats a choice thing. But does it make you a Geordie (or whatever)? no, not for me.

Edited due to godawful spelling

what about kids who move around like I did? there's an egyptian in here, must be 21, he's lived in about 10 countries already, what does that make him?