Steven Taylor for Captain?

Guest haseeb
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Would be delighted if it's Taylor.  Captaincy at a young age for Terry and Gerrard made them both grow up on and off the pitch.  And Taylor has been captain in  the England Youth teams and I would expect him to be captain of the U21s next season.  I think he would be thrilled to be captain and it would actually mean something to him.

He is probably the most vocal player on the pitch and always seems committed.  Yes he needs to mature and be more disciplined as he sometimes seems to try too hard and throw himself all over the place but I am sure that his more dramatic moments will be addressed by Allardyce.  It will be interesting to see how he plays as part of an "organised" defence for a change.

Off the pitch, he is one of the most high profile and every week he is in the paper, attending some charity event.  He is always happy to speak to the press albeit always in hyperbole.  There is probably only Given who does more but as goalkeeper his influence is restricted on the pitch.

I don't understand why he gets so much negative press on this board.  Yes he is still potential but it is up to him and the club to develop that.  If his attitude is a problem as implied by some then I am sure this manager will deal with that.  We know that the the big clubs are constantly sniffing around so there must be be something about him that they can see.  There is constant criticism of the lack of young talent coming through the ranks - now we have a young player with great potential, all everyone wants to do is criticise him.

I can't see anything in Allardyce that I can say he's done wrong yet.  It might turn out that he has made mistakes but it's far too early to say one way or the other.

Taylor has all the leadership qualities but as a defender is too rash to be considered a definite starter at the moment. Might be a season too early IMO. The Sunday Sun is probably the least reliable of all the local papers when it comes to printing rumours anyway. I don't think Taylor will be made captain personally, the only reason he's being considered is there are so few alternatives at the moment.

This is apparent ITK stuff, as well as the paper story.

I can't see anything in Allardyce that I can say he's done wrong yet.  It might turn out that he has made mistakes but it's far too early to say one way or the other.

Would you be happy if we started the season with Queudrue as first choice left back?

Would be delighted if it's Taylor.  Captaincy at a young age for Terry and Gerrard made them both grow up on and off the pitch.  And Taylor has been captain in  the England Youth teams and I would expect him to be captain of the U21s next season.  I think he would be thrilled to be captain and it would actually mean something to him.

He is probably the most vocal player on the pitch and always seems committed.   Yes he needs to mature and be more disciplined as he sometimes seems to try too hard and throw himself all over the place but I am sure that his more dramatic moments will be addressed by Allardyce.   It will be interesting to see how he plays as part of an "organised" defence for a change.

Off the pitch, he is one of the most high profile and every week he is in the paper, attending some charity event.  He is always happy to speak to the press albeit always in hyperbole.  There is probably only Given who does more but as goalkeeper his influence is restricted on the pitch.

I don't understand why he gets so much negative press on this board.  Yes he is still potential but it is up to him and the club to develop that.  If his attitude is a problem as implied by some then I am sure this manager will deal with that.  We know that the the big clubs are constantly sniffing around so there must be be something about him that they can see.  There is constant criticism of the lack of young talent coming through the ranks - now we have a young player with great potential, all everyone wants to do is criticise him.

he gets stick because he is overrated by some. This apparently means others have to try and even this out (rather than giving their honest opinion of what they really think he is like) and go the complete opposite.

In regards to his arrogance, its not like he is the first good footballer to show a bit of arrogance now is it? Jealousy also seems to be a bit of a factor in the negative comments the lad gets.

Taylor has all the leadership qualities but as a defender is too rash to be considered a definite starter at the moment. Might be a season too early IMO. The Sunday Sun is probably the least reliable of all the local papers when it comes to printing rumours anyway. I don't think Taylor will be made captain personally, the only reason he's being considered is there are so few alternatives at the moment.

This is apparent ITK stuff, as well as the paper story.

Fair enough if it's true. He's a leader without a doubt, but I still think it's a season early. No real obvious alternatives though so good luck to the lad if it's true.

Not overly chuffed with the decision, but he's worth a starting role more than Butt or Solano is so i guess he is the obvious choice. Barton was probably Allardyce's only other preferred candidate, and maybe hang back because he's too new.

The Geordie thing is typical media stereotyping. Certainly outside of the big four, 'Geordies' are stereotyped more than any other collection of fans. We love our old-fashioned strikers, we'd rather lose 5-4 than win 1-0, we want Shearer as manager, we want another Geordie captain. It's nonsense - we're realistic. It's just paper talk.

Taylor's an obvious candidate for Captain, whether he speaks with an accent or not. Allardyce's reasons will be based around a wholly footballing point of view, he's not naive enough to pick a captain just cos it'll apparantely appease the fans.

In regards to the poll; selected No but i'm not totally against it.

There is a bit of confidence, arrogance and willingness to kick others up the backside which has stood out amongst many of his end of season interviews. Something rather Keane-esque actually. Obviously he has yet to obtain the on-pitch influence of Keane.

He was described off the record by a Newcastle coach last season as the least liked player in the squad, despite other personal testimonies on here that he is a great guy. I'd say that Roeder probably looked down at attributes that could be described as confrontational even though such attributes, channelled correctly can turn also-rans into winners.

There is a bit of confidence, arrogance and willingness to kick others up the backside which has stood out amongst many of his end of season interviews. Something rather Keane-esque actually. Obviously he has yet to obtain the on-pitch influence of Keane.

He was described off the record by a Newcastle coach last season as the least liked player in the squad, despite other personal testimonies on here that he is a great guy. I'd say that Roeder probably looked down at attributes that could be described as confrontational even though such attributes, channelled correctly can turn also-rans into winners.

Luque heard this and did somersaults :lol:

Guest Invicta_Toon

Is Taylor correctly regarded as a senior pro?

Is Taylor an experienced Premiership player?

Is Taylor an 'old head on young shoulders'?

Is Taylor calm and collected when all others are losing their heads?

Is Taylor good at seeing the big picture and what's best for the team?

Is he bollocks

let's face it, the only reason he is even being considered is the lack of suitable alternatives, and that to me says a lot about our current squad

Christ, if he was going to be a regular starter you could even argue Dyers has a stake over Taylor, so tenuous are the plus points being offered up

Guest Invicta_Toon

Not overly chuffed with the decision, but he's worth a starting role more than Butt or Solano is so i guess he is the obvious choice. Barton was probably Allardyce's only other preferred candidate, and maybe hang back because he's too new.

The Geordie thing is typical media stereotyping. Certainly outside of the big four, 'Geordies' are stereotyped more than any other collection of fans. We love our old-fashioned strikers, we'd rather lose 5-4 than win 1-0, we want Shearer as manager, we want another Geordie captain. It's nonsense - we're realistic. It's just paper talk.

Taylor's an obvious candidate for Captain, whether he speaks with an accent or not. Allardyce's reasons will be based around a wholly footballing point of view, he's not naive enough to pick a captain just cos it'll apparantely appease the fans.

if it was media stereotyping it would have said fans, not heirarchy

Are you saying that we, as a 'race', aren't stereotyped by the media? Just a question, not saying you are.

Because i'd find that very hard to agree with. Exhibit A, Channel5 last season.

Guest Invicta_Toon

Are you saying that we, as a 'race', aren't stereotyped by the media? Just a question, not saying you are.

I was talking about the bit in the article, nothing else.

Are Geordies stereotyped? Exhibit B: Micheal Owen's unveiling.

Guest Invicta_Toon

Vic's not a Geordie FWIW. He's a cockerknee.

I am half Geordie, Dave from Leeds

Explain? I am Leeds born and bred.

explain what?

Well aye, that's fair enough. It's been mentioned elsewhere though - wherever it first came out, the Chronicle or the Journal, and said the "fans will be pleased to see Taylor follow in Shearer's footsteps" or something...

Don't really understand what you're getting at with the second bit though, Vic. But what i was getting at is that we're stereotyped to be these traditionalists just because of what the likes of Shearer and Keegan brought to the place. Channel5's coverage of us last season is merely an example of that, they were shocking for it. Pointing out how everyone's favourite player was Parker cos he 'gets stuck in'; one of their key contributions.

Guest Invicta_Toon

Does my nut in when people say they are half this, quarter that etc. No you're not. You "are" where you were born.

because that would make me German

Guest Invicta_Toon

Well aye, that's fair enough. It's been mentioned elsewhere though - wherever it first came out, the Chronicle or the Journal, and said the "fans will be pleased to see Taylor follow in Shearer's footsteps" or something...

Don't really understand what you're getting at with the second bit though, Vic. But what i was getting at is that we're stereotyped to be these traditionalists just because of what the likes of Shearer and Keegan brought to the place. Channel5's coverage of us last season is merely an example of that, they were shocking for it. Pointing out how everyone's favourite player was Parker cos he 'gets stuck in'; one of their key contributions.

like I said, they used the word heirarchy, not fans/locals

like I said, they used the word heirarchy, not fans/locals

So you agree that Newcastle fans*are sterotyped, then? ;)

*Altered from Geordies

---

For the record, i've often called myself 'half-Geordie'.  :blush: My whole family's Geordie though, except me and my sis who were both born down here. I've lived in Newcastle aswell. Well, Hebburn.