Steven Taylor for Captain?

Guest haseeb
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Respect in the dressing room for Taylor is a problem for me though, I just think fellow players think he is a laughing stock and a complete amateur when it comes to being serious, the guy is a complete drama queen and has got to be the recipient of a lot of jokes in the squad.  You can say what you want about Parker on the pitch, but I am pretty certain he commanded a lot of respect in the dressing room.

Where does that come from? ???

do you know what goes on behind the scenes like?

This is the sort of thing I'd expect from Roeder, not Allardyce.

Naa Roeder would have taken the safe option and given it to Butt or Given, probably Given. Actually he probably wouldn't have sold Parker so he'd still have been our captain. Allardyce on the other hand is his own man and does things his way even if they're controversial.

Agree with all of that. It just surprises me that Sam's not waiting to see who else he can bring in before deciding.

Can you really give captaincy to a new signing though? Would be utterly wrong imo.

A couple of people have mentioned this now. I can't see why it matters - give it to the best candidate.

Its just not right though. The new player has no history with the club at all, hasnt proven himself with us, wont know most of his teammates and vice versa - the captaincy is more about teammates respecting a player and his contribution to the team, and if that doesnt exist yet then itd be artificial to try to enforce it straight away. If they are the best candidate for it, then theres nothing wrong with them becoming captain say a few months down the line when theyve established themselves as a cornerstone of the team, and when others who have served the club for a long time will be happy to see the armband go to them - but to walk into the role straight away would surely rub some people the wrong way.

All fair points. I wouldn't have a problem with it whatsoever if we bought someone of sufficient class to instantly draw the respect of all his teammates through previous success elsewhere, but each to their own.

Guest fraser

No.

Needs to be allowed to develop into the player (the good player) he could become without the burden of the captaincy, playing every week, shoring up a shocking defence and being the next great hope of a substantial part of the Geordie nation.

Naa Roeder would have taken the safe option and given it to Butt or Given, probably Given, whereas Allardyce is his own man and does things his way even if they're controversial.

You think?

He's given it Taylor because he's a geordie and it'll come across well with the fans, it's certainly not for anything he's done on the pitch for us.

Naa Roeder would have taken the safe option and given it to Butt or Given, probably Given. Actually he probably wouldn't have sold Parker so he'd still have been our captain. Allardyce on the other hand is his own man and does things his way even if they're controversial.

Exactly which is why I don't buy the whole "he has onyl been given it because he is a Geordie". Tbh I am pretty sure Allardyce doesn't really give a shit about that sort of thing. As said before and others have said, Taylor is probably the one outfield player who is going to play the majority of games so in that sense it makes it logical to give him the armband.

Taylor in line to be skip

Jul 15 2007

by Neil Farrington, Sunday Sun

STEVEN TAYLOR is the shock leading candidate for the vacant Newcastle captaincy — and the chance to become the youngest United skipper of all time.

Magpies boss Sam Allardyce is ready to hand the armband to 21-year-old Taylor ahead of more senior candidates to succeed the departed Scott Parker.

Shay Given, Nicky Butt and Nobby Solano are also in the frame, but Allardyce believes Taylor may benefit most from the added responsibility of leadership.

Taylor is fighting to be fit for the start of the season on August 12, but that is not thought to have affected Allardyce’s thinking on the captaincy issue.

Given — Parker’s deputy last season — was thought to be favourite for promotion, but there remain doubts within St James’s Park over the wisdom of having a goalkeeping captain.

Newcastle’s hierarchy are delighted at the prospect of a return to the days of a Geordie skipper, with Taylor set to follow in the footsteps of Alan Shearer.

If he does get the nod, Taylor will replace Jermaine Jenas as Newcastle’s youngest skipper.

Jenas was 21 years and nine months when he led United out against Crystal Palace in November 2004 while Shearer was injured.

Taylor would better Jenas’s mark by two months.

Meanwhile, Newcastle sources have played down talk that Allardyce is set to sign Nice right-back Rod Fanni.

Oh dear.

Body language and comments amongst players after some of his more hot headed Oscar worthy moments, plus from my judgement of some of the things he does on the pitch.

He's still a young player and some of his daftest moments were when he was a lot younger, this could bring out the best in him.

Guest Knightrider

Respect in the dressing room for Taylor is a problem for me though, I just think fellow players think he is a laughing stock and a complete amateur when it comes to being serious, the guy is a complete drama queen and has got to be on the end of a lot of jokes in the squad.  You can say what you want about Parker on the pitch, but I am pretty certain he commanded a lot of respect in the dressing room.

All players are open to piss taking, Alan Shearer, Owen, they all get the piss ripped out of them regardless of their standing. I'm sure Taylor gets no more than most and dishes it out himself. It is on the pitch where it counts and everyone at Newcastle will respect Taylor's spirit, determination, passion and balls. They will know he will always give 100%, that he won't be found wanting when it's time to roll the sleeves out and that he'll always be up for a challenge. I think players respect that more than anything and welcome it even ahead of ability.

Anyway, most of what you're saying is simply supposition. Unless you're privy to the dressing room, you can only assume these things.

If you listen to Alan Shearer, he has nothing but good things to say about Taylor's character and in a dressing room/working environment content that's what is important, not experience, ability or whether they are local or foreign. Those things all come behind character and Taylor clearly possesses a lot of it, as he showed in the under-21 tournament.

Nothing against the lad but how the fuck is he supposed to motivate Owen, Given, Solano, Butt, Viduka and Carr?

Will they respect/listen to him? I know I fucking wouldn't if I were them. He's a decent player who'll get better but is he the right person to get Butt and Owen going before a match? Is he going to lift Viduka if he misses a chance or two during a match?

Don't think so!

Nothing against the lad but how the fuck is he supposed to motivate Owen, Given, Solano, Butt, Viduka and Carr?

Will they respect/listen to him? I know I fucking wouldn't if I were them. He's a decent player who'll get better but is he the right person to get Butt and Owen going before a match? Is he going to lift Viduka if he misses a chance or two during a match?

Don't think so!

Professionals of such age and experience should require less motivation from others..?

Nothing against the lad but how the f*** is he supposed to motivate Owen, Given, Solano, Butt, Viduka and Carr?

Will they respect/listen to him? I know I f****** wouldn't if I were them. He's a decent player who'll get better but is he the right person to get Butt and Owen going before a match? Is he going to lift Viduka if he misses a chance or two during a match?

Don't think so!

I'll put money on it that he'll have a go at any of them.

Can't wait until this is confirmed, no doubt the club will come out with a few of the usual soundbytes as they always do and people are going to jump all over them.

Can't wait!  :(

Don't think so!

Professionals of such age and experience should require less motivation from others..?

I just think that players like Butt and Owen won't be inspired by a young lad who has achieved nothing in the game. They've actually won stuff and collected medals. He's not even become a regular starter for Newcastle and suddenly, he's their captain! Just seems a bit fucked up imo.  :undecided:

Nothing against the lad but how the f*** is he supposed to motivate Owen, Given, Solano, Butt, Viduka and Carr?

Will they respect/listen to him? I know I f****** wouldn't if I were them. He's a decent player who'll get better but is he the right person to get Butt and Owen going before a match? Is he going to lift Viduka if he misses a chance or two during a match?

Don't think so!

I'll put money on it that he'll have a go at any of them.

Aye, but how will they react?

Don't think so!

I just think that players like Butt and Owen won't be inspired by a young lad who has achieved nothing in the game. They've actually won stuff and collected medals. He's not even become a regular starter for Newcastle and suddenly, he's their captain! Just seems a bit fucked up imo.  :undecided:

They shouldn't need to be inspired though?

I often giggle at the John Terry comparisons that often show up, but the same thing did wonders for him.

One other point of view is that the influence of a captain doesn't really mean much any more these days?

Guest Knightrider

If Taylor wasn't a local lad he wouldn't even be in the running for captaincy.

Firstly, your argument is flawed because Taylor if you forget he's a Geordie for a moment, ticks most of the boxes anyway, such as: Passionate, committed, 100% professional, big presence, good communicator and one overlooked factor - will most likely be a mainstay for years to come. Add his obvious talent into the equation and he makes a fine captain candidate.

I think because we've been hit with the wrong end of the Geordie stick so many times with past managers, the chronicle and the old board, we're now becoming Geordie skeptics it seems and that's just as daft as the whole Geordie nation bollocks, the same in fact but at the other end of the spectrum.

It is this that sees Taylor get so much stick, because he's a Geordie. If he was a foreigner, ironically, we'd talk about this wonderful talent we have on our hands, like N'Zogbia the season before last.

There needs to be a middleground.

Anyway, being a Geordie is an added bonus because it will help fend off rival clubs and act as a boon to the academy, as well as serving fans with a figure they can relate to. Furthermore, in Taylor we're guaranteed at least 1 player who will never let us down, not intentionally anyway,w ho will always give his all and stand up to be counted on when called upon. We could have done with a few more Taylor's these past few seasons.

BTW the Geordie skeptic thing, you replying to what was a reporter's artistic license with with rolling eyes, is proof positive that this is creeping into our mentality as fans. It is as easy for the reporter to throw into his piece as us being linked with Ronaldinho, doesn't mean it is true though.

Anyway even if it were true, you couldn't really blame the new owners for being pleased the captain is a Geordie, they are not and one of the biggest fears of fans when their clubs get taken over is that they'll lose their identity. That could be a good sign actually, if it weren't some journo playing with words that is.

Guest Mantis

Naa Roeder would have taken the safe option and given it to Butt or Given, probably Given, whereas Allardyce is his own man and does things his way even if they're controversial.

You think?

He's given it Taylor because he's a geordie and it'll come across well with the fans, it's certainly not for anything he's done on the pitch for us.

Er, he's from Greenwich.

Guest Knightrider

Easy, by giving his all, being 100% committed and standing up when the going gets tough as it is these things that impress players above all else, and not how many jokes they can crack or how good they are on the PS2. Same goes for managers which is why average players who nevertheless show these qualities, keep playing in good sides while those that don't get farmed out. Fletcher vs Richardson at Man Utd?